Science Forums

Volunteering And Recruitment Thread

KiritoAsuna

• 1 month later...

I wish I could lend a hand, but I am only a High schooler.

You totally can!  Stay in school and study more than you need to. Get a good engineering (software or mechanical engineering, probably. Possibly chemical. Any engineering degree will help though) degree or go the biological/medical/neuroscience route. Get a masters, and probably a PhD and/or MD.  You might not be able to help *right now* but if you're in high school that means that you can become a leading expert in the world on stuff like this within 15 years, which is a good timeline.  

Making your dreams a reality involves more hard work than dreams.  And luck, but you can't control that - you can just work hard enough to be able to take advantage of any lucky breaks you have.

I agree. I believe that you dont need to be an adult and have

a degree in order to contribute because I remember being young and having ideas, but not having them matter. So I say you can help. Even now. Just look up and learn. Ww have so much out there. Go and learn. That is the greatest thing you can do now.

I would also like to help with this project. I would like it to see daylight.

Thing is I'm finishing highschool, and I am consideing what studies should I take to be a reliable helping hand in its development.

I was thinking of engineering informatics o electronic engineering.

What do you guys think? Are ether one of this appropiate or should I consider some other career?

I'm starting college next year, so I expect to be working with you guys in... eight years time maybe? I'm looking forward to that moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Just going to add my input - We're at least a predicted 5 years away from photo-realistic graphics- therefore it's extremely unlikely that we will have a "NerveGear" like device ready for use soon. Also, most of this isn't just coding. It's understanding the neurons within the brain and knowing how multiple different neurons work that's important, especially in technology like this.

It's also extremely important to note that the first technology of this sorts will almost certainly NOT be a helmet. The amount of processing power a machine like this would need would be extraordinary (not to mention the graphics cards we'd need haven't been developed yet, nor the engines), and cost an extreme amount of money. 

Also, to note, I know a lot of the people here have watched SAO. I have too. BUT we must all REMEMBER- Sword Art Online is a work of fiction. Most of the products described within and working in it would NOT actually work in real life. For example, electromagnetic waves actually have little to no effect on the brain, especially from the outside- in the show they say that electromagnetic waves are how the device works, which in real life it would not work. Sword Art Online takes a ton of creative license, and very little of the technology is actually based in real, proven science. I think it's great that you're working on this, but it will still be many, many years before even a beta/alpha product testing of something like this would come to light. VR is not looking around with a headset with graphics.

The VR in SAO will not be accomplished any time soon- any works towards this will probably require a lot of people with PhDs or at least Masters degrees from what I've seen and know. It's most definitely safe to say that it CAN happen, it just won't happen for a long time. A commitment to a project like this is probably more advanced (or at least evenly so) to trying to start your own space company that builds spaceships that are bigger than the earth and can travel at the speed of light. 

I too find this topic intriguing and don't want to be a narcissist, but I'm just saying it won't happen for a long time, and will be very difficult. 

Just going to add my input - We're at least a predicted 5 years away from photo-realistic graphics- therefore it's extremely unlikely that we will have a "NerveGear" like device ready for use soon. Also, most of this isn't just coding. It's understanding the neurons within the brain and knowing how multiple different neurons work that's important, especially in technology like this.

It's also extremely important to note that the first technology of this sorts will almost certainly NOT be a helmet. The amount of processing power a machine like this would need would be extraordinary (not to mention the graphics cards we'd need haven't been developed yet, nor the engines), and cost an extreme amount of money. 

Also, to note, I know a lot of the people here have watched SAO. I have too. BUT we must all REMEMBER- Sword Art Online is a work of fiction. Most of the products described within and working in it would NOT actually work in real life. For example, electromagnetic waves actually have little to no effect on the brain, especially from the outside- in the show they say that electromagnetic waves are how the device works, which in real life it would not work. Sword Art Online takes a ton of creative license, and very little of the technology is actually based in real, proven science. I think it's great that you're working on this, but it will still be many, many years before even a beta/alpha product testing of something like this would come to light. VR is not looking around with a headset with graphics.

The VR in SAO will not be accomplished any time soon- any works towards this will probably require a lot of people with PhDs or at least Masters degrees from what I've seen and know. It's most definitely safe to say that it CAN happen, it just won't happen for a long time. A commitment to a project like this is probably more advanced (or at least evenly so) to trying to start your own space company that builds spaceships that are bigger than the earth and can travel at the speed of light. 

I too find this topic intriguing and don't want to be a narcissist, but I'm just saying it won't happen for a long time, and will be very difficult. 

I guess being a computer science and engineering major helps with that right? I'm also in contact with many experts in the field. I created my forum (http://nerve.boards.net/) a while go that is dedicated to this topic.

I am glad that you mentioned that many people are naive about the artistic license. However, I dislike that you say it is almost impossible. Everyone can make strides to gain more knowledge and help. 

I see where you could have some skepticism with this, but, the people here aren't trying to create the device entirely based off of the anime. It has been stated numerous times thet SAO is a work of fiction, and I think the majority of us all understnd that a significant amount of creativity went into it. I am not saying that we are going to be able to make it, though. But, I am siding with the idea that we should t least try. We may not get it for a while, but the research done here may help another group in the future.

It will be a hard topic, but, that is probably one of the reasons that we are looking into it. We like the challenge. I would like to have this technology created within my timeline. It would be a nice feat for humanity and a huge advancement in a multitude of different industries. I am also not saying that I would have been the one to make it, but I know that someone will. It could be one of us, or it might not. But, I do not feel that it will be a long, long time from now.

I do sort of have to agree. Human determination is a big reason of how we've gotten so far today. Actually, so is probably the wheel- but that was made because of human determination. We will need quite a lot of computer software and I'm doubting that the first few products will be neat and tidy. Non-invasive technology will be extremely difficult. The main problem is that we still don't have an amazing understanding of the human brain. There's just so much we don't know about it or it's potential, which is the main problem when we go into theoretical things like FullDive technology that hasn't been fully developed yet. 

Yes that will be challenging. But, we have the resources to find out more. Certainly, not everyone is going to have the money to do experimentation and other forms of research, but there are plenty of people doing that already. And more software is being built around the idea of researching the brain. So, we aren't set in stone, ready to build but we are in the right direction.