Science Forums

Schadenfreude

pgrmdave

Schadenfreude is taking pleasure in another's misfortune. My question for you is, is schadenfreude immoral in and of itself? Is it wrong for me to simply laugh at someone's misfortune, even if I had nothing to do with it?

I'm sure everyone here is aware that talking about morality will result in a stale-mated discussion with the diverse opinions represented here at Hypography. However, I will speak for myself and say," this behavior can be directly associated with sadistical influence and I resist being labeled as such." If others don't mind that label, and enjoy induldging in Schadenfreude, they will have to accept the consequencial effect on their character.

Schadenfreude is taking pleasure in another's misfortune. My question for you is, is schadenfreude immoral in and of itself? Is it wrong for me to simply laugh at someone's misfortune, even if I had nothing to do with it?

Well, I'd say that depends on how bad it is... I might laugh at someone who tripped while carrying a pie and ended up with it all over their face, while I probably wouldn't laugh at someone on the highway (even if they had cut me off) if I watched them spin out and crash into somebody head on and die... I wouldn't really say it's immoral, if you had nothing to do with it, but I would hope that if it was something really harsh or embarassing (or serious), you'd help them out if you could while you were laughing. :turtle:

i think it's part of being a human. it makes us feel better to see others worse off than us. you may control yourself and try to limit your displaying of the laughter, but your subconscious desire to feel that way isn't going to go away any time soon.

and whether you believe in god or not, how can it be immoral to have a subconscious instinctual feeling that is not even under your control??