Science Forums

Writing Math In Posts

AnssiH

I noticed with the current mathjax(?) implementation, in-line math tags don't seem to be supported, or they have changed.

I didn't find a thread documenting the use of math tags in posts so I just started a new one. Feel free to move this to a relevant thread if one actually exists.

[math] \frac{a}{b}x^{c} [/math]

seems to work and produces;

[math] \frac{a}{b}x^{c} [/math]

[imath] \frac{a}{b}x^{c} [/imath]

doesn't produce anything currently;

[imath] \frac{a}{b}x^{c} [/imath]

Mathjax supports rendering in-line math so I suppose adding support to these old tags would be fairly trivial? It would also fix quite a few old posts.

I also noticed some old posts still use [math] tags, would it be possible to update them across the entire post database?

Another nag I've noticed is that math tags don't seem to produce math in the preview window, and when I tried to fix some math tags via editing a post in the simple editor (the one you get first by default when you "edit" old post), it would produce somehow broken results. I had to go through the advanced editor to actually get things fixed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been having trouble with math expressions!!

[latex]

\lim _{\Delta a \rightarrow 0} \frac{P(x_1+a+\Delta a,x_2+a+\Delta a,\cdots, x_n+a+\Delta a)-P(x_1+a,x_2+a,\cdots, x_n+a)}{\Delta a}=0

[/latex]

[math]\lim _{\Delta a \rightarrow 0} \frac{P(x_1+a+\Delta a,x_2+a+\Delta a,\cdots, x_n+a+\Delta a)-P(x_1+a,x_2+a,\cdots, x_n+a)}{\Delta a}=0[/math]

how about

$$\lim _{\Delta a \rightarrow 0} \frac{P(x_1+a+\Delta a,x_2+a+\Delta a,\cdots, x_n+a+\Delta a)-P(x_1+a,x_2+a,\cdots, x_n+a)}{\Delta a}=0$$

for inline?

Can anyone tell me what is going on???

Edited by Doctordick

It appears that the [latex] tag isn't working, but the [math] tag is.

These 2 tags should be equivalent. While we figure out why [latex] isn't working, you should be able to work around the problem for new or edited posts using [math].

If you look at my post you should see that I used all three possible tags [math]x_i[/math] [latex]x_i[latex] and $$ x_i $$  .  Perhaps I am using them incorrectly or maybe my operating system is confusing things.  My Windows system crashed so I am now using my old Apple Mac.  (It uses Mac OS X 10.7.5)

This time both the math tag and the dollar sign seems to have worked but I thought that the dollar sign was the the "inline" tag.  Perhaps I have understood that identification in error.  I will try one other insertion here to see what I get.

Ah, I see that "math" yields an inline expression [math]\lim_{\Delta a \rightarrow 0}\frac{P(x_1+a+\Delta a,x_2+a+\Delta a,\cdots,x_n+a+\Delta a)-P(x_1+a,x_2+a,\cdots,x_n+a)}{\Delta a}=0[/math], very good.

$$\lim_{\Delta a \rightarrow 0}\frac{P(x_1+a+\Delta a,x_2+a+\Delta a,\cdots,x_n+a+\Delta a)-P(x_1+a,x_2+a,\cdots,x_n+a)}{\Delta a}=0$$

Yes, it appears that I had the identifications backwards! and had "returns" between the tags in all three cases.  I will edit my previous post to make sure that is the source of the problem.

Thanks for your kind response and don't worry about the "latex".  I used to use "latex" all the time and I have gone back and fixed all my posts (I think) but I can't fix those in the quotes from my old posts so it still might be nice if those "latex" tags worked.  

Have fun -- Dick