Science Forums

Compression dynamics in audio engineering

Queso

so i have a couple of questions about compression when it comes to audio.

i was just wondering is there anybody in here that understands it? i use compression in my mixes but i want to really understand it indepthly.

if so, please step forward. if not, it's back to the books for orb. :friday: ;) :friday:

yeah, that's what i do.

i adjust the attack, quicker for "tight" tracks. like kick drums, bass, and sometimes acoustic (if i want it to sound punchy)

release, well i think the attack and release are a part of a ratio right??

i don't understand ratio at all.

i like the compressors that give you a VU visual, it's easier to see what the audio is doing. i also have a book on mixing..i really need to read up about the compression.

yeah, that's what i do.

i adjust the attack, quicker for "tight" tracks. like kick drums, bass, and sometimes acoustic (if i want it to sound punchy)

release, well i think the attack and release are a part of a ratio right??

i don't understand ratio at all.

i like the compressors that give you a VU visual, it's easier to see what the audio is doing. i also have a book on mixing..i really need to read up about the compression.

The attack is like the amplitude of the wave. Check this out, orby:

http://www.sonicspot.com/guide/glossary.html

The attack is like the amplitude of the wave...
Not quite...its the first phase of the envelope defines the amplitude when the sound starts. Analog synth folks can wax poetic about ADSR (and variations) of envelope generators, but the attack is just the time it takes to get from 0 to max amplitude...

Compressors basically limit the amplitude of the signal, by squeezing them down, which tends to have a reinforcing effect in a live system that both makes the sound "thicker" and more importantly for guitarists, increases sustain. Digital compressors emulate this effect...

Pickin' n' Grinnin',

Buffy