Science Forums

China Buzzes Asteroid

Deepwater6

http://news.discovery.com/space/chinese-moon-probe-buzzes-asteroid-121214.html

I follow alot of space news websites and this is the first I've heard of this flyby. Even so the probe got some great shots with good clarity.

As I have stated before, the Chinese space program has come a long way in a short amount of time. It's not on par with the US program yet, but it's rising very quickly. I think they will surpass the the US program faster than most people realize. The article tells of a Mars mission next year by them.

I sure wish we could share our resources, so much more could be accomplished.

http://news.discovery.com/space/chinese-moon-probe-buzzes-asteroid-121214.html

I follow alot of space news websites and this is the first I've heard of this flyby. Even so the probe got some great shots with good clarity.

As I have stated before, the Chinese space program has come a long way in a short amount of time. It's not on par with the US program yet, but it's rising very quickly. I think they will surpass the the US program faster than most people realize. The article tells of a Mars mission next year by them.

I sure wish we could share our resources, so much more could be accomplished.

well, the chinese will find it hard to progress faster than others can develop technology that they can steal and imitate if not replicate.

shared resources are as shared resources due. :yinyang:
:wink:

Two sides remain in standoff for several years in order to do battle for a decisive victory on a single day.

Yet one refusing to outlay a hundred pieces of gold and thereby does not know the enemy's situation is the height of inhumanity.

This one is not the general of the people, a help to the ruler, or the master of victory.

What enables the enlightened rulers and good generals to conquer the enemy at every move and achieve extraordinary success is foreknowledge.

Foreknowledge cannot be elicited from ghosts and spirits;

it cannot be inferred from comparison of previous events, or from the calculations of the heavens, but must be obtained from people who have knowledge of the enemy's situation.

Therefore there are five kinds of spies used:

source

whatcha got for a camera in there china? :shy: perhaps the enthusiasm expressed by western space engineers in deep'6ers op link for seeing how the chinese got such great shots is because the enthusiast(s) know their own design when they see it. :omg: nawhhh!! couldn't be. not one chance in 5 of that. :rolleyes:

Edited by Turtle

Hi Turtle,

The chinese originally developed gunpowder and look where that has progressed, especially in the US today, both for good and bad.

yeah i know. and paper and enormous boats and earthquake detectors yada yada yada. there's no resting on laurels however and chinese innovation went down the crapper with communism. i supose you could argue they are innovative thieves. :pain30:

Either home grown or stolen technology their program is coming along fast. What seems odd to me is our shared space technology with Russia. They share/sell tech. (including nuclear) with Iran continually. The very people trying to wipe us Devil worshipers off the map. :huh:

Or could the US be trying to cozy with the enemy of it's enemy for the future?

When you see FBI take down a spy in the US the media doesn't reveal how bad the damage was. If you think about all the countries around the world trying to get our secrets it's not unthinkable that most of our precious secrets have been seen. Plus a downed drone here, parts of a hi-tech chopper there. I'm sure China is at the top of that list. I'm also sure we have knowledge of theirs. B)

Edited by Deepwater6

What seems odd to me is our shared space technology with Russia. They share/sell tech. (including nuclear) with Iran continually. The very people trying to wipe us Devil worshipers off the map. :huh:

US/Russian cooperation has a long -if not checkered- tradition going back to the beginnings of the space age. given that the Russians are godless barbarians already under attack my muslim extremists, i don't think they are in any hurry to see iran with nuclear weapons. what better way for ivan to keep an eye on jafar than by "helping" out?

Or could the US be trying to cozy with the enemy of it's enemy for the future?
pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!! :ninja: :shy:

When you see FBI take down a spy in the US the media doesn't reveal how bad the damage was. If you think about all the countries around the world trying to get our secrets it's not unthinkable that most of our precious secrets have been seen. Plus a downed drone here, parts of a hi-tech chopper there. I'm sure China is at the top of that list. I'm also sure we have knowledge of theirs. B)

don't forget our entire surveillence plane they forced down and completely dissasembled a few years back. but yeah; spy vs spy. always a good story.

back on the asteroid and chinese flyby. more good story i won't argue for a moment. :thumbs_up just being there and getting photos will help further refine the orbit for modeling the future orbits. at 5 miles across on the long of it, this is one of the largest known asteroids and if it were to hit earth it would undoubtably meet everyones' estimation of a cataclysmic death rock. :ebomb: :earth: but even now we are well assured we don't need to gird our loins for several hundred years, so sit back & enjoy the view. :whew: :coffee_n_pc:

Edited by Turtle