Science Forums

Is math evidence?

I must chime in on this to say that I agree with Buffy on this last retort, though I prefer it to be

stated more pendantically by Qfwfq. Gödel's Theorem bounds the proof space for any given set of

axiom's. Thus what Buffy is essentially saying that not everything is provable is correct. As Qfwfq

says though for a given set of Axiom's there is an upper bound. The connection is weak yet there.

Sorry Qfwfq. I like your way better if that helps. More accurate.

maddog

I don't think that math can be proof, because math is not always perfect.

...I started a thread about one not always equaling exactly one - it's here

So if I understand you, I could make up a math proof of something and do the math wrong and

this demonstrates that math in and of itself CANNOT be PROOF ?!? If I had a dime for everyone

who made a error in their logic, I would be a wealthy man !!!

maddog

No problem, Maddog, I realize how subtle the matter is and I was only teasing Buffy because her words might at first glance suggest there being certain asserts that "Gödel says you can't prove" and other asserts that you can prove. Although, after her moody reply, I put one of my own axioms through my head! :hihi:

If I had a dime for everyone who made a error in their logic, I would be a wealthy man !!!
I would even settle for a cent! As long as it's a Euro-cent.