Science Forums

Are science and Buddhism compatible?

Sofia

After having a "faith crisis" I started reading about buddhism, to find that, in my opinion, is the religion that resembles science the most. Being a person with a "scientific mind set" I still find it difficult to believe in these two, do you think that someone can be a scientist and a buddhist?

After having a "faith crisis" I started reading about buddhism, to find that, in my opinion, is the religion that resembles science the most. Being a person with a "scientific mind set" I still find it difficult to believe in these two, do you think that someone can be a scientist and a buddhist?

Yes but they will run into some conflicts since science is based on factual observation and faith is based solely on faith.

No problem! I've always thought that the fact that Buddism is so much more grounded on human experience that that was why--with the exceptions of the colonial era and the cultural revolution--that Chinese culture was always so much more advanced than the West....

Cheers,

Buffy

Science and religion are orthogonal. Believe what you like. The universe will dispassionately crush you without looking back if your beliefs are not empirically justified. Algebraically add all espoused religious beliefs over all time. The net sum is simple and terse - "ante up to a priest." One would expect various omnipotencies and infinite cosmic knowledges to be self-financing.

But you must have faith in post-mortem escrow! The Wicked Witch of the West died for Uncle Al's sins.

Hi Sofia,

ive had the same 'faith crisis' as you, for years i tried the born again christian thing just to find answers, but my scientific mindset found me finding more questions that were ignored by religion. Can I recommend a book to you?? it's my alltime favourite, and as soon as i started reading i felt hooked, like id finally found the spirituality of science, and a true system for reading the world. it's called 'The Unified Theory of Existence'. i havent been able to find a copy of it anywhere, although its sited on various Islamic websites. it would be compatible with Buddhism for sure, I just want everyone to read it!!!!

I suppose you could call yourself a scientist and have any religious belief. but why would you want to? Nearly every religion has distracting rituals and dogma that merely clutters up rational thought.

Hey Nix, thanks for your recomendation, i have a question though, what kind of conclusion did you arrive at after reading this book? You see, i was brought up christian, and still have faith, although when i start questioning stuff (that is, almost every time i think about it) thousands of questions arise, and then everything falls apart. It is a weired feeling, but it's like in a way, I want to get to the truth of things, but on the other hand it scares me big time, don't know if you ever had this feeling, like scared of finding out the truth? It's like almost wanting to remain ignorant, but at the same time, not, I don't know if any of this makes sense to you...

Hey Nix, thanks for your recomendation, i have a question though, what kind of conclusion did you arrive at after reading this book? You see, i was brought up christian, and still have faith, although when i start questioning stuff (that is, almost every time i think about it) thousands of questions arise, and then everything falls apart. It is a weired feeling, but it's like in a way, I want to get to the truth of things, but on the other hand it scares me big time, don't know if you ever had this feeling, like scared of finding out the truth? It's like almost wanting to remain ignorant, but at the same time, not, I don't know if any of this makes sense to you...

it sounds like your writing from my brain!!! yes i compoletely understand. sometimes i want to pack it all in and disappear into the ease and security of ignorance, or even blind faith where i can define myself as a good christian with a heaven to go to.

for me, the two things i have faith in are the path of development, and the essential goodness of humans. i haven't finished the book, but it clarified for me that we are all connected (scientifically and spiritually speaking), and on a path of enlightenment, so in essence this 'reality' is the raw material delivered from an external(?) perfect state (god?) waiting to reach a heightened awareness and perfection. I have to say that i never could bring myself to believe that Jesus was the son of god in the sense christians mean it. what with the possible misinterpretations of what jesus said and meant, and the fact that we are all children (integral components) of god (this universe) i didnt see the importance. i still believe that taken the right way, prayer and the teachings of Jesus are useful.

when i get scared of the neverending questions i go hug a tree or swim at the beach to calm down. i vaccilate between welcoming and fearing change, so i just promise myself that if i continue learning, i will find a new comfort zone. i guess i can appreciate infinite cos it feel s like there's that much to learn....blimey!!!(hope niviene's watching)

btw - me thinks tinny knows more about thsi book than me

___I've been a plumber; it's wet equity. :hihi:

___On the science & Buddhism, look for "The Cave of the Ancients" by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa. He wrote other books, & is called a fraud largely (oddly enough, he really was a plumber too as I recall), but he had a good understanding of Buddhism & science as well, which he combined in his book(s).

___Very interesting reading, but they are old from the 60's & I don't know if they're still in print. Google Tueday Lobsan Rampa. :xx:

• 3 weeks later...

Another book on the parallels of modern physics and Eastern Mystism is, "The Tao of Physics."

I just started reading it for the second time. Actually the concepts in this book lead me to this forum as I am remembering a time when I used "see" the world through Buddhist and scientific glasses.

Good luck!

-Craig