Science Forums

Sound energy to electricity

I'm doing multi-disciplinary project and was thinking about a machine (or something), that could convert sound waves(energy) to electrical power. Does anyone have any comments on the feasibility and such? It would seem quite a challange, as sound and electrical waves are two different forms. Is there a way to convert the sound wave to the transverse electrical wave?

I've found a website saying about the way sound affects helium atoms:

http://worldthinktank.net/wttbbs/index.php?showtopic=482

Do you think it's quite possible? It doesn't have to be helium, nor has to involve any element or anything. I'm just wondering if it's theoratically and/or physically possible. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Hmmm... Nice.. But what about storing the current in a power grid and such? Is that possible?
Power grids *don't* store power! They just move it. To make the power grid work properly requires the generating plants to carefully modulate their output to balance the supply and demand on an almost instantaneous basis. Most folks don't understand this, but its pretty amazing how complex this process is and how few blackouts we have given this level of complexity....

Cheers,

Buffy