Science Forums

Behaviour And Diet

pamela

We all pretty much know the value of proper nutrition and health, but what happens when additives are thrown into the mix? What types of behaviours can be noted after these are ingested?

I have yet to find any definitive research on the behavioural effects of sodium nitrate and nitrite consumption, but I will tell you that through observation there is indeed an effect.Both of my sons were diagnosed with Intermittant Explosive Disorder (IED).They were raised from the beginning with whole foods and not processed garbage. Unfortunately, when times became tough financially, cheaper food was purchased. Mistake..... Processed lunch meat would trigger violence in both children even a small dose of pepperoni would bring on anger.Its just not the additives though that affect them, buying anything with phenylalanine would trigger seizures in my youngest who also has Aspergers. Food colourings and dyes would make both extremely hyperactive.

So what are your experiences, or thoughts on the subject?

Is anyone aware of any conclusive evidence concerning the nitrites and behaviour?

Got a veggie garden and a poultry yard? ;)

I'm no expert but I know one thing: I have to watch what I eat cuz some things make me poor auld head burst open and I'm prone to go berzerk. It isn't necessarily artificial stuff though, that bugs me, some spicy thing can do it. Can't really tell you much more.

Oddly enough, it's alway at a full moon that I eat the things that do it.......:hihi:

Got a veggie garden and a poultry yard? ;)

I'm no expert but I know one thing: I have to watch what I eat cuz some things make me poor auld head burst open and I'm prone to go berzerk. It isn't necessarily artificial stuff though, that bugs me, some spicy thing can do it. Can't really tell you much more.

Oddly enough, it's alway at a full moon that I eat the things that do it.......:hihi:

you're so funny :D

sounds like your spicy stuff could be triggering a migraine, which unfortunately, I suffer from. Salicylates can be found in spices and all kinds of foods and if you have a sensitivity then you most definitely will suffer. Oh and by the way, don't take aspirin for that headache- its a salicylate as well. ;)

I have heard of a bad diet exacerbating autism disorders. The strange thing is that the autistic boy (10 yrs old) I work with is fed a diet high in nitrates (processed meat) but he's pretty calm most of the time.

I've also wondered why autism affects males more than females (somewhere around the 80% ratio in males)? New research (I just found this) looks very promising:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-autism-strikes-more-boys-than-girls

Could this mean that just by balancing hormones, autism disorders might be decreased?

I have heard of a bad diet exacerbating autism disorders. The strange thing is that the autistic boy (10 yrs old) I work with is fed a diet high in nitrates (processed meat) but he's pretty calm most of the time.

the nitrates don't produce hyperactivity, however they can produce some serious health issues

Cancer

Nitrate of itself is not poisonous to animals. However a recent study finds children eating more than 12 hot dogs per month have nine times the normal risk of developing childhood leukemia, and this risk is commonly attributed to nitrate compounds formed during cooking, or in the stomach.

Brain and pancreatic cancers are also associated with nitrate consumption

Toxicosis

Nitrate toxicosis can occur through enterohepatic metabolism of nitrate to nitrite being an intermediate. Nitrites oxidize the iron atoms in hemoglobin from ferrous iron (2+) to ferric iron (3+), rendering it unable to carry oxygen. This process can lead to generalized lack of oxygen in organ tissue and a dangerous condition called methemoglobinemia. Although nitrite converts to ammonia, if there is more nitrite than can be converted, the animal slowly suffers from a lack of oxygen.

I suggest this kid change his diet

I've also wondered why autism affects males more than females (somewhere around the 80% ratio in males)? New research (I just found this) looks very promising:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-autism-strikes-more-boys-than-girls

Could this mean that just by balancing hormones, autism disorders might be decreased?

I think that looking at ways to increase retinoic acid may be helpful.However if supplimenting Vitamin A in the diet you have to be careful. It is fat soluable and not easily eliminated. Toxicity can occur

My link

yeah unfortunately his mom is not listening!

well that certainly is unfortunate. Maybe you could do some project with him concerning healthy foods.Papers,colouring, collages and such, that he can bring home and his mom will see. She might catch a clue :P

So what have you found helpful with food in your line of work? anything noteworthy? Or have you observed any types of reactions with additives within your own family or self?

...diagnosed with Intermittent Explosive Disorder (IED).

Seriously?!? I wouldn't doubt it; IED-ness seems to be a response to too much civilization. ;)

Hi Pamela, I don't know about nitrates specifically, but SciAm had an interesting article this past month.

Food We Eat Might Control Our Genes --Scientists find rice microRNA inside human cells-- …By Anne-Marie C. Hodge | November 25, 2011

“The results, published in the journal Cell Research, showed that the subjects’ bloodstream contained approximately 30 different microRNAs from commonly eaten plants. It appears that they can also alter cell function: a specific rice microRNA was shown to bind to and inhibit the activity of receptors controlling the removal of LDL—“bad” cholesterol—from the bloodstream. Like vitamins and minerals, microRNA may represent a previously unrecognized type of functional molecule obtained from food.”

“…microRNAs from commonly eaten plants... …can also alter cell function....”

“…a specific rice microRNA… controlling the removal of LDL–- “bad” cholesterol -–from the bloodstream.”

“The revelation that plant microRNAs play a role in controlling human physiology highlights the fact that our bodies are highly integrated ecosystems.”

“…another reminder that nothing in nature exists in isolation.”

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=vitamins-minerals-and-microrna

This stuff affects LDL, which affects HDL; and I bet you didn't know those affect the immune system....

“… proteins in HDL, strongly implicating the lipoprotein in inflammation and the innate immune system.” -jlr.org

...from the Journal of Lipid Research. I ran across this in my research on soil and soil evolution....

The point being: We Are What We Eat!

post-7914-0-39480800-1325874088_thumb.png-[click to enlarge]

~ :)

Seriously?!? I wouldn't doubt it; IED-ness seems to be a response to too much civilization. ;)

Hi Pamela, I don't know about nitrates specifically, but SciAm had an interesting article this past month.

This stuff affects LDL, which affects HDL; and I bet you didn't know those affect the immune system....

“… proteins in HDL, strongly implicating the lipoprotein in inflammation and the innate immune system.” -jlr.org

...from the Journal of Lipid Research. I ran across this in my research on soil and soil evolution....

The point being: We Are What We Eat!

post-7914-0-39480800-1325874088_thumb.png-[click to enlarge]

~ :)

what an excellent article! thanks essay :)

It appears that they can also alter cell function: a specific rice microRNA was shown to bind to and inhibit the activity of receptors controlling the removal of LDL—“bad” cholesterol—from the bloodstream

wow...

well that certainly is unfortunate. Maybe you could do some project with him concerning healthy foods.Papers,colouring, collages and such, that he can bring home and his mom will see. She might catch a clue :P

So what have you found helpful with food in your line of work? anything noteworthy? Or have you observed any types of reactions with additives within your own family or self?

sorry Pamela, I got busy and couldn't respond. I agree that healthy foods (lots of raw or steamed veggies) is preferred but surprisingly it's not the norm in this situation and many others (it seems many a parent has to be educated first)...mom just got him off candy (at the request of her spiritual healer)...the collage is a great idea on a rainy day but I doubt that mom would get the hint about the vegetables and now he is very picky about what he will and will not eat...he is not very responsive to some things as I just got him talking in basic sentences.

Tell me more about retinoic acid. How much did you supplement? I think mom might be open to this.

• 5 months later...

Most of the food today are not that healthy anymore, there processed food and those who are genetically modified products which includes processed meat and even fruits and vegetables. All we can trust now are those people we know who really plant their crops on their backyards and those who are a natural and organic producers of these foods.