Science Forums

Aether Displacement

mpc755

'Interpretation of quantum mechanics by the double solution theory - Louis de BROGLIE'

http://aflb.ensmp.fr/AFLB-classiques/aflb124p001.pdf

“When in 1923-1924 I had my first ideas about Wave Mechanics I was looking for a truly concrete physical image, valid for all particles, of the wave and particle coexistence discovered by Albert Einstein in his "Theory of light quanta". I had no doubt whatsoever about the physical reality of waves and particles.”

“any particle, even isolated, has to be imagined as in continuous “energetic contact” with a hidden medium”

The hidden medium of de Broglie wave mechanics is the aether. The “energetic contact” is the state of displacement of the aether.

A moving particle has an associated aether displacement wave.

In a double slit experiment the particle travels a well defined trajectory which takes it through one slit. The associated aether wave passes through both. As the aether wave exits the slits it creates wave interference. As the particle exits a single slit the direction it travels is altered by the wave interference. This is the wave piloting the particle of pilot-wave theory. Detecting the particle strongly exiting a single slit turns the associated aether wave into chop. The aether waves exiting the slits interact with the detectors and become many short waves with irregular motion. The waves become disorderly. The waves are disorganized. There is no wave interference. The particle pitches and rolls through the chop. The particle gets knocked around by the chop and it no longer creates an interference pattern.

I don't think it can be known if a photon is a particle which has an associated external aether displacement wave or if the photon 'particle' consists of a very small region of the wave itself.

'Ether and the Theory of Relativity by Albert Einstein'

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Extras/Einstein_ether.html

"According to the general theory of relativity space without ether is unthinkable" - Albert Einstein

Quoting this sentence fragment from this 1920 address, without those that follow it is, distorts the intended message badly. The full paragraph in which this fragment appears is:

Recapitulating, we may say that according to the general theory of relativity space is endowed with physical qualities; in this sense, therefore, there exists an ether. According to the general theory of relativity space without ether is unthinkable; for in such space there not only would be no propagation of light, but also no possibility of existence for standards of space and time (measuring-rods and clocks), nor therefore any space-time intervals in the physical sense. But this ether may not be thought of as endowed with the quality characteristic of ponderable media, as consisting of parts which may be tracked through time. The idea of motion may not be applied to it.

Descriptions of “ether” (alternate spelling “aether”) like this one

Aether has mass. Aether physically occupies three dimensional space. Aether is physically displaced by matter.

Contradict what Einstein asserts in the quoted speech: that the aether may not be thought of as having “the quality characteristic of ponderable media” such as mass and velocity.

Claiming otherwise by considering only fragments of the speech, and thus supporting your claim by implying that they are also the claim of well-known scientists like Albert Einstein, is, intentionally or unintentionally, deceptive and wrong.

In dealing with light we don't have an equation for a single photon, one pulse of energy with a given wavelength. We must have trillions of pulses to measure frequency and then use λ = c/f.

This is incorrect. A single photon has a well-defined wavelength, which can be precisely measured with equipment (such as SPADs) that has been used for decades.

What LB is saying is true of other kinds of waves, such as sound waves or water surface waves, where wavelength and frequency can’t be measured from a single air gas or water molecule. It’s also true that a stream of photons, or, in principle, even a succession of individual photons, can be modulated, including by covering and uncovering its source to produce pulses, to carry information about a frequency different than that of the photons. The EM waves associated with photons, however, are very different from these kinds of waves.

A reminder: The Strange Claims forum is were threads and posts that don’t follow the site rules about backing up claims are moved, to keep them distinct from threads that better follow the rules. This is intended to encourage posters to follow better consider, research, and back up their claims. A thread in Strange Claims should not be taken as license to no research and back up claims, or ignore other site rules, nor treated as a private blog for unsupported claims. Doing so can, as in another forum, result in warning, temporary, and ultimately permanent suspensions of your posting privileges.

It’s good to speculate, and by its nature, one can’t entirely support one’s speculation. However, we shouldn’t assert speculation as truth know only to us, or attempt to imply it has support when we are unable to find any. Ideally, by posting speculations in these forums, we can together explore and gain knowledge, supporting or refuting our speculations, and enjoy science at its best.

Quoting this sentence fragment from this 1920 address, without those that follow it is, distorts the intended message badly. The full paragraph in which this fragment appears is:

Recapitulating, we may say that according to the general theory of relativity space is endowed with physical qualities; in this sense, therefore, there exists an ether. According to the general theory of relativity space without ether is unthinkable; for in such space there not only would be no propagation of light, but also no possibility of existence for standards of space and time (measuring-rods and clocks), nor therefore any space-time intervals in the physical sense. But this ether may not be thought of as endowed with the quality characteristic of ponderable media, as consisting of parts which may be tracked through time. The idea of motion may not be applied to it.

Are you able to understand that a comma in a sentence means the sentence continues?

"But this ether may not be thought of as endowed with the quality characteristic of ponderable media, as consisting of parts which may be tracked through time."

Every time Einstein refers to motion and ponderable media in the lecture he is referring to the aether as not consisting of individual particles which can be separately tracked through time.

Aether has mass. Aether physically occupies three dimensional space. Aether is physically displaced by matter.

Displacement is what Einstein is referring to when he discusses the state of the aether as being determined by its connections with the matter and the state of the aether in neighboring places.

'Ether and the Theory of Relativity by Albert Einstein'

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Extras/Einstein_ether.html

"the state of the [ether] is at every place determined by connections with the matter and the state of the ether in neighbouring places, ... disregarding the causes which condition its state."

The state of the aether at every place determined by connections with the matter and the state of the aether in neighboring places is the state of displacement of the aether.

Edited by mpc755

Craig, is JJ Thompson a credible source for my description of the photon? As for me calling space an electric field please feel free to provide a source that gives a good reason for the interaction of charged particles with space.

Start your own thread. This thread is for discussing aether displacement.

Evidence of aether displacement.

'The Case of the Missing Dark Matter'

http://www.universetoday.com/94680/the-case-of-the-missing-dark-matter/

"A survey of the galactic region around our solar system by the European Southern Observatory (ESO) has turned up a surprising lack of dark matter, making its alleged existence even more of a mystery."

What is presently postulated as (non-baryonic) dark matter is aether. Aether has mass. The aether is being displaced by all of the particles of matter which the Milky Way consists of. It is not going to be detected in the galactic region around our solar system because displaced aether pushing back and exerting inward pressure toward matter IS gravity. It is the aether which is displaced external to the matter which the Milky Way consists of which is pushing back toward the Milky Way which is causing the Milky Way to rotate much faster than the visible matter alone can account for.

'Surprise! IBEX Finds No Bow ‘Shock’ Outside our Solar System'

http://www.universetoday.com/95094/surprise-ibex-finds-no-bow-shock-outside-our-solar-system/

'“While bow shocks certainly exist ahead of many other stars, we’re finding that our Sun’s interaction doesn’t reach the critical threshold to form a shock,” said Dr. David McComas, principal investigator of the IBEX mission, “so a wave is a more accurate depiction of what’s happening ahead of our heliosphere — much like the wave made by the bow of a boat as it glides through the water.”'

The wave ahead of our heliosphere is an aether displacement wave.

'NASA's Voyager Hits New Region at Solar System Edge'

http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2011/dec/HQ_11-402_AGU_Voyager.html

"Voyager is showing that what is outside is pushing back. ... Like cars piling up at a clogged freeway off-ramp, the increased intensity of the magnetic field shows that inward pressure from interstellar space is compacting it."

It is the aether which is displaced by the matter the solar system consists of which is pushing back and exerting inward pressure toward the solar system.

Craig, is JJ Thompson a credible source for my description of the photon?

I’ve not studied J J Thompson’s life in detail, but like most science literate folk, know him for his work with cathode ray tubes ca. 1900 leading to the discovery of the electron, for which he was awarded the 1906 Nobel prize in Physics. My impression was that Thompson had retired from serious research by 1905, when the modern idea of photons began to take shape. He died in 1940, at the age of 83, a couple of decades before QED described the photon and electron as it was taught to students of my generation and later.

So it would surprise me if Thompson had said much about photons, but I’d be delighted, and think many of our readers would be, too, to read whatever your can reference.

As for me calling space an electric field please feel free to provide a source that gives a good reason for the interaction of charged particles with space.

As far as I know, there’s no well-accepted theory that suggests charged particle interact with empty space, rather than with other charged particles via photons, as described in QED.

Many, I included, believe that a series of lectures by Richard Feynman, available as the illustrated book QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, are an excellent non-technical explanation of how electrons and photons interact, which is the starting point for the best accepted modern explanation of how all charged particles interact.

I’ve not studied J J Thompson’s life in detail, but like most science literate folk, know him for his work with cathode ray tubes ca. 1900 leading to the discovery of the electron, for which he was awarded the 1906 Nobel prize in Physics. My impression was that Thompson had retired from serious research by 1905, when the modern idea of photons began to take shape. He died in 1940, at the age of 83, a couple of decades before QED described the photon and electron as it was taught to students of my generation and later.

So it would surprise me if Thompson had said much about photons, but I’d be delighted, and think many of our readers would be, too, to read whatever your can reference.

As far as I know, there’s no well-accepted theory that suggests charged particle interact with empty space, rather than with other charged particles via photons, as described in QED.

Many, I included, believe that a series of lectures by Richard Feynman, available as the illustrated book QED: The Strange Theory of Light and Matter, are an excellent non-technical explanation of how electrons and photons interact, which is the starting point for the best accepted modern explanation of how all charged particles interact.

Feynman was unable to understand a moving particle has an associated aether displacment wave. The only reason to read a series of lectures by Richard Feyman is if you do not want to understand what occurs physically in nature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment#Overview

"The double-slit experiment (and its variations), conducted with individual particles, has become a classic thought experiment for its clarity in expressing the central puzzles of quantum mechanics. Because it demonstrates the fundamental limitation of the observer to predict experimental results, Richard Feynman called it "a phenomenon which is impossible ... to explain in any classical way, and which has in it the heart of quantum mechanics. In reality, it contains the only mystery [of quantum mechanics]."[3], and was fond of saying that all of quantum mechanics can be gleaned from carefully thinking through the implications of this single experiment"

'Interpretation of quantum mechanics by the double solution theory - Louis de BROGLIE'

http://aflb.ensmp.fr/AFLB-classiques/aflb124p001.pdf

“When in 1923-1924 I had my first ideas about Wave Mechanics I was looking for a truly concrete physical image, valid for all particles, of the wave and particle coexistence discovered by Albert Einstein in his "Theory of light quanta". I had no doubt whatsoever about the physical reality of waves and particles.”

“any particle, even isolated, has to be imagined as in continuous “energetic contact” with a hidden medium”

The hidden medium of de Broglie wave mechanics is the aether. The “energetic contact” is the state of displacement of the aether.

In a double slit experiment the particle travels a well defined trajectory which takes it through one slit. The associated aether wave passes through both. As the aether wave exits the slits it creates wave interference. As the particle exits a single slit the direction it travels is altered by the wave interference. This is the wave piloting the particle of pilot-wave theory. Detecting the particle strongly exiting a single slit turns the associated aether wave into chop. The aether waves exiting the slits interact with the detectors and become many short waves with irregular motion. The waves become disorderly. The waves are disorganized. There is no wave interference. The particle pitches and rolls through the chop. The particle gets knocked around by the chop and it no longer creates an interference pattern.

I just explained what occurs physically in nature in a double slit experiment in a classical way.

The electromagnetic field is a state of the aether.

The term 'field' in physics means "I do not understand what occurs physically in nature" so I will label it a 'field'.

You can describe things in terms of a gravitational field or you can understand displaced aether pushing back and exerting inward pressure toward matter is gravity.

You can describe things in terms of quantum field theory or you can understand a moving particle has an associated aether displacement wave.

If you insist on limiting yourself to describing things in terms of a 'field' then start your own thread.

Edited by mpc755

I just explained what occurs physically in nature in a double slit experiment in a classical way.

That’s a reasonable hypothesis and model, and the double slit experiment a good subject.

I’d like to develop it in more detail, and with rigor. Fortunately, classical physics is computationally easy to approximately model, so this is within the ability and available resources of a part-time, armature science enthusiast like me and some others here at hypography.

As you’ve not, despite requests and warnings, posted any links to such work, Mpc, I assume you’ve not done any such work, nor know of any done by others. If I assume incorrectly, please correct me by posting or linking to such work, as I wouldn’t want to waste time duplicating it.

:QuestionM Would you be interested in working on a computerized, approximate model using classical physics to test you hypothesis, Mpc?

If so, what starting assumption would you suggest? I’m thinking of modeling your hypothesized aether as a large collection of identical point (radius zero) particles with non-zero mass that repel one another with a force following an inverse square ([imath]\frac{1}{L^2}[/imath]) law, inside a infinitely hard walled “box” so the model starts at uniform density and pressure, big enough that it’s indistinguishable from an infinitely large box for the duration of a model run.

The goal, I think, should be to produce a realistic one-photon-at-a-time single slit experiment diffraction pattern using the model. I admit I’m skeptical this can be done without “cheating” within the model so much the original hypothesis is no longer significant, but in my experience, one can’t reasonably know if an untested hypothesis is correct of not without testing it, and approximate computer modeling is one of the easiest ways to test, something mere hackers can do, not just Nobel prize caliber mathematical physicists. :)

That’s a reasonable hypothesis and model, and the double slit experiment a good subject.

I’d like to develop it in more detail, and with rigor. Fortunately, classical physics is computationally easy to approximately model, so this is within the ability and available resources of a part-time, armature science enthusiast like me and some others here at hypography.

As you’ve not, despite requests and warnings, posted any links to such work, Mpc, I assume you’ve not done any such work, nor know of any done by others. If I assume incorrectly, please correct me by posting or linking to such work, as I wouldn’t want to waste time duplicating it.

The wave of pilot-wave theory is an aether wave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_wave#The_Pilot_Wave_theory

It is also referred to as the de Broglie-Bohm theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Broglie%E2%80%93Bohm_theory

The biggest issue with the de Broglie-Bohm theory is it is considered a hidden variable theory. There are no such things as hidden variables. Let's hold off on discussing hidden variables for now.

This physicist is a supporter of de Broglie-Bohm theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antony_Valentini

He doesn't yet understand the wave of pilot-wave theory is an aether wave.

Here is an arcticle which might help you to conceptualize how particles of matter interact with the aether.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2010/quantum-mechanics-1020.html

The double slit example in the following video starts at 2:45. In a 'real' double slit experiment the particle is moving fast enough so the associated aether wave enters and exits both slits and creates wave interference upon exiting the slits.

:QuestionM Would you be interested in working on a computerized, approximate model using classical physics to test you hypothesis, Mpc?

Yes.

If so, what starting assumption would you suggest? I’m thinking of modeling your hypothesized aether as a large collection of identical point (radius zero) particles with non-zero mass that repel one another with a force following an inverse square ([imath]\frac{1}{L^2}[/imath]) law, inside a infinitely hard walled “box” so the model starts at uniform density and pressure, big enough that it’s indistinguishable from an infinitely large box for the duration of a model run.

I do not think it can be known if aether consists of particles or not so if you need aether particles in order to mathematically represent the aether then that is different than what aether likely exists as.

What I do know is aether has mass, aether physically occupies three dimensional space and aether is physically displaced by matter. Aether exists where particles of matter do not. Where particles of matter exist the aether is displaced.

If you can mathematically model the aether as a 'one something' which is physically displaced by matter than that is what the aether actual is.

Something else which might help model the aether is understanding matter is condensations of aether.

When a nuclear bomb explodes matter evaporates into aether. As matter evaporates into aether it expands into neighboring places. The physical effects of this expansion is energy.

The goal, I think, should be to produce a realistic one-photon-at-a-time single slit experiment diffraction pattern using the model. I admit I’m skeptical this can be done without “cheating” within the model so much the original hypothesis is no longer significant, but in my experience, one can’t reasonably know if an untested hypothesis is correct of not without testing it, and approximate computer modeling is one of the easiest ways to test, something mere hackers can do, not just Nobel prize caliber mathematical physicists. :)

The best thing to try would be a modified 'delayed choice quantum eraser experiment'.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/21/Kim_EtAl_Quantum_Eraser.svg

If beam splitter BSb is replaced with D4 the photons traveling the blue path which are detected at D1 and D2 may correspond with the interference patterns being created at D0. If this is the case then the which-way information of the photons will be known and this is evidence nothing is delayed, nothing is erased and de Broglie was correct.

It is evidence de Broglie was correct because it is evidence the particle traveling toward D0 has associated waves traveling both the red and blue paths and that wave interference is occurring prior to the particle being detected at D0 regardless of what else happens in the experiment.

If you execute the experiment and the results are as I have predicted the article should be titled 'A no delayed choice no quantum eraser experiment'.

Edited by mpc755

'Superfluid Is Shown To Have Property Of A Solid'

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/07/990730072958.htm

"Northwestern University physicists have for the first time shown that superfluid helium-3 -- the lighter isotope of helium, which is a liquid that has lost all internal friction, allowing it to flow without resistance and ooze through tiny spaces that normal liquids cannot penetrate -- actually behaves like a solid in its ability to conduct sound waves."

The aether is, or behaves similar to, a superfliud with properties of a solid and should be modeled as such.

Ok mpc your right I do not understand what a field is nor does anyone else on this planet. So why don't you enlighten the rest of us and describe of what is the ether made?

Aether and matter are different states of the same material.

Aether and matter have mass.

Matter is condensations of aether.

Matter evaporates into aether.

When a nuclear bomb explodes matter evaporates into aether. The evaporation is energy. Mass is conserved.