Science Forums

Human Evolution

Craig D feel free to change the the forum, don't know how I ended it up with that one?? I also put a BBC article about the ease of genetic manipulation for the common person in this one, but the post was split off into it's own thread of Biology. It's an interesting article about how people will have at least some control over their genes in the near future. Along with ways to extend their lives to get around diseases. What I want to know is will everyone want to have their genetic future read now? will they want to know they are likely to get a brain tumor 45 or breast cancer at 50, or even more defined information.

• 3 weeks later...

Craig D feel free to change the the forum, don't know how I ended it up with that one?? I also put a BBC article about the ease of genetic manipulation for the common person in this one, but the post was split off into it's own thread of Biology. It's an interesting article about how people will have at least some control over their genes in the near future. Along with ways to extend their lives to get around diseases. What I want to know is will everyone want to have their genetic future read now? will they want to know they are likely to get a brain tumor 45 or breast cancer at 50, or even more defined information.

Human evolution will in a large part be directed by humans, but natural evolution will not stop completely when random mutations no longer is the primary generator of change. Theres the environment pressure remaining and its actually the universe that IS our environment.

I think most posts on the future are ...eh... myopic! :)

So: What are we going to do with our universe?

• 3 weeks later...

This topic raises an interesting question. At what time in history/evolution (in your opinion) did humans reach the tipping point, when genetics and human consciousness were equal partners in human evolution?

I'd like to hazard a guess on that subject. I'd say when humans first started using fire.