Science Forums

Why does this world use leaders and why do we use them so submissively?

ledbassest

think back to tribes. they had a leader, someone to motivate and guide them.

obviously this has adapted, but it's the same basic idea.

and we're social because......we can communicate. is that the right answer? i know it's one of the reasons. there's probably tons of reasons, evolutionary ones, neurological ones, blah blah blah.

i'll leave this to the pros.

We evolved from social animals. Social interaction peovides generally a better chance of survival. For social systems to opperate they must have a hierarchy. This is almost innate. Get a group of people and give them a task. There will be some discussion on leadership usually (sometiomes it just happens). You will have a leader chosen by will or by force. There may be some dissent (usually by a rival learder which will have his own backers).

There are leaders and there are followers. Humans have a few independent folks, but they tend to set up their own hierarchy as well.

"Og always know where to find zeeeba, we hungry, lets follow Og."

"Ah zeebah! OOooohh, he run away. Wait, Og tell us to go hide behind tree...Oooh! Og move zeeba toward us! Now we get zeeeba!"

"mmmm, zeeba, we could eat more zeeeba if we kill Og, but then we no be able to find more zeeba...Guess we should share zeeba with Og...."

"uh oh, Trog try to kill Og to get more zeeba, bug Og strong, kill Trog. Not so good idea to try to kill Og, he powerful."

"Og say be good or great chief in sky will send lightning bolt.....Oooooh! Lightning bolt! Better just do what Og say...."

"Og say so many good things, me like not have to think much, easier just to leesten to Og..."

Oooga Booga,

Buffy

"Hey, you hear? Brog say Og is 'godless humanist'. Sound bad. Me no like Og no mo."

"Oh! Og do something nasty with daughter of Zog! Bad Og! We hate Og! We hate Og!"

"Brog say he regular guy. Say we all work together to get more zeeba! We all get lots of zeeba with Brog! Make Brog chief!"

"Oh no! Kogsama bin Hog destroy big cave! Brog say he wipe valley floor with Kogsama's loin cloth! Kill all Kogsama's evil friends!"

"Brog say all Kogsama's evil friends in other valley. Have to send many many zeeebas dere to get rid of Kogsama."

"Brog say Damsoga in other valley make lots of clubs to give to Kogsama! Kill Damsoga!"

"Takin lots of zeeeba to get Damsoga. Hope Brog know what he doing. My head hurt. I no eat zeeba in a week."

"Sure are a lot of friends of Damsoga and Kogsama still aroun. Brog say need to send more zeeba to other valley. Zeeba running out. Getting more spensive..."

"Brog say chiefs in other valleys no good. No help us find friends of Damsoga and Kogsama. Need to send Bogolton to council to bash heads and tell all other chiefs that we boss, they listen to us."

"Other chiefs tell Bogolton to stuff it after he tell them they all stupid and have heads in dark place. Why he do that?"

"I no understand. Other chiefs think we worse than Damsoga and Kogsama put together! My head hurt!"

"How come Brog make so many fights? He say not agree wid him means we evil too...."

"Can't afford no zeeba no mo. Have to eat mouses...."

"Oh I miss Og!"

Cheers,

Buffy

But one thing all leaders need is a strong sense of courage and compromise to stand as a leader.This remains common for both "born" kind of leaders or the one's who are pushed into leadership.yheh why does this world use leaders? For streamlining of a particular function or to achieve an objective we need one of us to lead.If there is no leader and and we all want to walk in a line the first one wil be the leader by default,and if many of us want to be the first one,then there are the rules of the game specific to the particular. i think that the concept of leadership in political or society realm is largely linked to the advent of democracy.Otherwise you donot have a leader of your choice and if you liked a Napolean or Ceaser it was pure luck. ;)

Otherwise you donot have a leader of your choice and if you liked a Napolean or Ceaser it was pure luck.
Even they would not have been leaders without sufficient support and they were successful because they knew how to work up support for themselves. Democracy, monarchy, dictatorships and so on differ in the way support for the leader is determined and in how the leader is replaced.

The main difference between democracy and other systems is that, in the former, numbers count while in the others it can just be a matter of the guys with the bigger sticks and the few might keep most people at bay. This is happening in democracy too, with the big sticks being mass media. The difference, then, becomes somewhat formal. In practice:

Any Tom Dick or Harry manages to get into the imperial palace with a pistol and reach the throne, kill the emperor, heave the corpse off the throne, take the crown and sceptre and sit himself in lieu. At that point he starts giving orders and announcing decrees. Will these be carried out? If there isn't a whole apparatus that obeys, down through bureaucracy, police and soldiers, this guy ain't gonna be much of an emperor. Likewise if people were not prevented from staging an election but the bureaucracy ignored the elected people and obeyed the other guys and any revolts were repressed. At that point it's a matter of who wins the confrontation.

Chosen one way or another, the leadership needs to have a strong enough support, else it isn't a leadership.