Science Forums

Interpreting Method For The Bible And Some Apocrypha

dduckwessel

I tried introducing this interpreting method on Hypography a number of years ago but my post was far too long and ineffectual. I have since simplified it and would appreciate any thoughts:

"Wisdom is the principal thing; Therefore get wisdom. And in all your getting, get understanding..." (Proverbs 4:7-9)

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. And the knowledge of the Holy One is called understanding." (Proverbs 9:10)

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." (Prov. 1:7)

wisdom, understanding, knowledge = synonyms

"...Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom, and to depart from evil is understanding." (Job 28:28)

"...the fear of the Lord is His treasure." (Isaiah 33:6)

"I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure." (Psalm 119:162)

"For wisdom is better than rubies, And all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her." (Proverbs 8:11)

"Happy is the man who finds wisdom...She is more precious than rubies..." (Prov. 3:13-18)

"No mention shall be made of coral or quartz, for the price of wisdom is above rubies." (Job 28:18)

"Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies. (Prov. 31:10)

"She considers a field and buys it." (Prov. 31:16)

better than rubies/more precious than rubies/above rubies/far above rubies = synonymous expressions

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man has found, he hides, and for joy thereof goes and sells all that he has, and buys that field. (Matt. 13:44)

"Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.." (Matt. 13:46)

Therefore, the pearl of great price is the virtuous wife/wisdom.

Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.” (instruction is another synonym for wisdom)

“The words of the wise are as goads...” (Eccl. 12:11a)

Wise = those who have wisdom.

Some books of the Apocrypha (Book of Adam and Eve, Enoch, Odes of Solomon) repeat this information sometimes verbatim.

This progression is not noticeable from general reading.

Wisdom then is just knowing how to correctly assemble the information.

• 1 month later...

Here's another example, although I can do this with all of the Bible and some books of the Apocrypha and these are by no means comprehensive examples of this interpreting anomaly:

Canticles/Song of Solomon/Song of Songs

“A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.” (Proverbs 25:11)

(1) fitly = [song of Solomon 15:12 (fitly: used in another sense in the N.T. but the meaning is the same Eph. 2:21, Eph. 4: 15 & 16)]

“…I raised thee up under the apple tree…” (Ca. 8:5b)

“As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons. I sat down under his shadow with great delight, and his fruit was sweet to my taste.” (Ca. 2:3) The phrase ‘under his shadow’ is mentioned in other parts of the Bible (Gen. 19:8, Judges 9:15, Psalm 18:8, 36:7, 57:1, (Psalm 91:1)’

- trees of the wood/field = angels

- wood/field = garden of God, garden of Eden, Paradise

- fruit = apples, pomegranates

“Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings” (Psalm 17:8) (shadow of thy wings: see also Psalms 36:7, 57:1, 63:7, etc.)

“Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.” (Prov. 7:2)

Therefore, God's law (commandments) is the apple of his eye.

Eve and Adam ate an apple (figurative, also pomegranate) but one from a tree located in the Garden of God.

Apple tree/Palm Tree/Olive Tree = Tree of Life/Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil/Tree of Wisdom

And paradise is between corruptibility and incorruptibility. And two springs come out which send forth honey and milk, and their springs send forth oil and wine…” (The Forgotten Books of Eden: The Book of the Secrets of Enoch: Chapter VIII)

Distill thy dews upon us and open thy rich fountains that pour forth to us milk and honey. (Forgotten Books of Eden: The Odes of Solomon: Ode 4)

And I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey; (Exodus 3:8, 13:5, 33:3, Numbers 13:27, Lev. 20:24, 14:18, etc. etc.)

Thy lips, O my spouse, drop as the honeycomb: honey and milk are under thy tongue; and the smell of thy garments is like the smell of Lebanon. (Song of Solomon 4:11)

His eyes are as the eyes of doves by the rivers of waters, washed with milk, and fitly set. (Song of Solomon 5:12)

His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk. (Gen. 49:12)

Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. (Isaiah 55:1,

And it shall come to pass in that day, that the mountains shall drop down new wine, and the hills shall flow with milk, and all the rivers of Judah shall flow with waters, and a fountain shall come forth out of the house of the LORD, and shall water the valley of Shittim. (Joel 3:18)

I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able. (1 Cor. 3:2)

For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. (Heb: 5:12, 13)

As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that you may grow thereby (1 Peter 2:2)

previous: His eyes shall be red with wine, and his teeth white with milk. (Gen. 49:12)

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. (Isaiah 1:8)

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. (Psalm 51:7)

Let thy garments be always white... (Eccl. 9:8)

I beheld till the thrones were cast down, and the Ancient of days did sit, whose garment was white as snow, and the hair of his head like the pure wool. (Dan. 7:9)

And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light. (Matt. 17:2)

His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow: (Matt. 28:3)

And his raiment became shining, exceeding white as snow; so as no fuller on earth can white them. (Mark 9:3)

His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire; (Rev. 1:4)

And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints. (Rev. 19:8)

garment/raiment/fine linen = synonyms

Previous: His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire (Rev. 1:4)

His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. (Rev. 19:12)

And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush. (Exodus 3:2)

And of the angels he says, Who makes his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire. (Heb. 1:7)

And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write; These things say the Son of God, who has his eyes like unto a flame of fire, and his feet are like fine brass. (Rev. 2:18)

And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters. (Rev. 1:15)

And, behold, the glory of the God of Israel came from the way of the east: and his voice was like a noise of many waters: and the earth shined with his glory. (Ezek. 43:2)

And I heard a voice from heaven, as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of a great thunder… (Rev. 14:2)

I was in the Spirit on the Lord's day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet (Rev. 1:10)

And the LORD shall be seen over them, and his arrow shall go forth as the lightning: and the LORD God shall blow the trumpet, and shall go with whirlwinds of the south. (Zech. 9:14)

I'm not sure I follow where you are leading here. Of course, the original bible was written in Hebrew and Greek, so some things may have been lost in the translations into modern English, and any interpretation of the bible is difficult without knowing the context of the times in which it was written. I think wisdom is more than assembling information. Wisdom, knowlege, and uderstanding are entangled concepts, but I know a lot of people who have a lot of information in their heads, but don't know how to use it,

I'm not sure I follow where you are leading here. Of course, the original bible was written in Hebrew and Greek, so some things may have been lost in the translations into modern English, and any interpretation of the bible is difficult without knowing the context of the times in which it was written.

So you see nothing unusual in these examples? There is what I call 'the puzzle effect'!

Bible interpretation is not difficult if anything it's easy as it's self-explanatory. We don't have to interpret it because it can interpret itself. Using wisdom/the puzzle effect/the confirming rule (or whatever you want to call it) I have so far found that nothing was lost in translation, it's exactly as it's supposed to be.

I think wisdom is more than assembling information. Wisdom, knowlege, and uderstanding are entangled concepts, but I know a lot of people who have a lot of information in their heads, but don't know how to use it,

I know that some people have trouble communicating their ideas but in this instance a superior entity was supposed to have authored it. If so it would display characteristics beyond human capabilities.

The writings themselves say the books can only be 'opened' by using wisdom/understanding:

"Here is wisdom. Let him that has understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (Rev. 13:18)

And here is the mind which has wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sitteth. (Rev. 17:9)

The mysteries can only opened/unlocked using the wisdom method.

The examples show the writings are (for us) clearly allegorical as 'white as snow' is of course a figurative expression for rightness (the sense of rightness being only as we interpret the words correctly).

Farming Guy,

I think your problem with my studies is that you, as well as others, are concerned that 'it will send us back to the dark ages' if it can be shown there is something highly unusual about them.

It's a concern of mine too. I shudder at the idea that Creationism/I.D. will be taught in some high schools and universities as viable theories.

However, if on the other-hand it can be proven the interpretation method for these writings is a scientific one, and most definitely proves the writings are allegorical (to the ones who insist they are literal), wouldn't that be a good thing for benevolent science and the world!

Here's a clear example of how Bible writings are self-interpreting:

Then I lifted up my eyes, and saw, and, behold, there stood before the river a ram which had two horns: and the two horns were high; but one was higher than the other, and the higher came up last. (Dan. 8:3)

The ram which you saw having two horns are the kings of Media and Persia. (Dan. 8:20)

And as I was considering, behold, an he goat came from the west on the face of the whole earth, and touched not the ground: and the goat had a notable horn between his eyes. (Dan. 8:5)

And the rough goat is the king of Grecia: and the great horn that is between his eyes is the first king.

We all know that Alexander the Great was the first king of Greece.

horn = strength/king

Moontanman, in answer to your request for me to expound upon my last post in The Urantia Revelation, I need to firstly point out the interpreting method (on this thread) whereby I arrive at my 'outrageous' ideas :) . You might want to peruse the previous posts (it's not too long and hopefully not tedious as I have tried to keep things short).

Christianity turned Jesus into a wimpy, contradictory, peace at all costs (even at the cost of truth) reformer but instead he was a quiet revolutionary lion.

In the animal kingdom there are rules that govern behavior, 'the strong survive'. This rule is the founding principle behind evolution and also the rule that dictates in this reality. We are political (partisan) animals, (a natural bent due to our primate beginnings), having the pack mentality.

Concerning our spiritual selves if we look to the Alpha to tell us what to do and how to behave and conform to the pack mentality (religion), we become emotionally and spiritually a slave to those powers.

Of course in matters concerning life on earth there's always an Alpha (and many are not corrupted by the position) but an Alpha often retains their position by intimidation. However, in spiritual gatherings (of believers) there's no Alpha so the pack mentality cannot rear its ugly head. The animal self isn't evil per se, but the potential for wrong is there where you find the pack mentality.

Did you get a chance to watch the film 'The King's Speech' about King George VI of Britain? It's a really good example of how one man was able to suspend the pack mentality by quietly demanding equality with the Alpha.

Religion is wrong for not only conforming to the ways of this world in matters of leadership, it's unhealthy for so many other reasons most notably because it tries to purge our 'animal' self completely, which produces emotionally unhealthy behavior. True spirituality (intelligent psychology) however, unites the animal and spiritual natures in a healthy way.

• 1 month later...

dduck, you might be find some inspiration here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

...Christopher Langan is quoted:

I believe in the theory of evolution, but I believe as well in the allegorical truth of creation theory. In other words, I believe that evolution, including the principle of natural selection, is one of the tools used by God to create mankind. Mankind is then a participant in the creation of the universe itself, so that we have a closed loop. I believe that there is a level on which science and religious metaphor are mutually compatible.

Langan explains on his website that he believes "since Biblical accounts of the genesis of our world and species are true but metaphorical,

our task is to correctly decipher the metaphor in light of scientific evidence also given to us by God".

...my emphasis.

It seems easy to interpret a lot of biblical wisdom in terms of "advice to farmers" about sustainability of agriculture and social systems... sort of like a farmer's almanac (with lots of historical info. added). Think of the way oral traditions exist (or existed until recently) in most cultures. At some point, as society became more complex, that had to be collected.... What would the collected wisdom, of Copper & Bronze Age society's histories, look like?

~ :o

dduck, you might be find some inspiration here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan

...Christopher Langan is quoted:

...my emphasis.

It seems easy to interpret a lot of biblical wisdom in terms of "advice to farmers" about sustainability of agriculture and social systems... sort of like a farmer's almanac (with lots of historical info. added). Think of the way oral traditions exist (or existed until recently) in most cultures. At some point, as society became more complex, that had to be collected.... What would the collected wisdom, of Copper & Bronze Age society's histories, look like? :o

Very inspiring Essay. I wonder if Langan had had a formal education if he would have thought differently? I'm glad he is as he is. :)

Here is wisdom. Let him that has understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (Rev. 13:18)

And here is the mind which has wisdom. The seven heads are seven mountains, on which the woman sits. (Rev. 17:9)

Many Christians believe that Rome is the woman/harlot in the Book of Revelation because it was built on seven hills (and certainly Rome has been responsible for some horrific crimes) but there are many cities of the world that can make that claim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_claimed_to_be_built_on_seven_hills

I hate to mention it because anti-semitism is so prevalent but Jerusalem (the city that 'stones the prophets') is the woman/harlot identified by the wisdom strategy:

"5And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

6And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration." (Rev. 17)

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that kills the prophets, and stones them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!" (Matt. 23:37)

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, which kills the prophets, and stones them that are sent unto thee; how often would I have gathered thy children together, as a hen doth gather her brood under her wings, and ye would not!" (Luke 13:34)

18And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth." (Rev. 17)

"And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified." (Rev. 11:8)

Jesus was crucified outside of Jerusalem, therefore the wisdom method identifies Jerusalem as the Harlot of Revelation.

It's all allegorical.

• 3 weeks later...

Further proofs of the figurative nature of Bible writings:

And Joseph said unto his father, Not so, my father: for this is the firstborn; put your right hand upon his head. (OT Gen. 48:13-18) God’s blessing is always at the right side (as opposed to the left).

Thy right hand, O LORD, is become glorious in power: thy right hand, O LORD, has dashed in pieces the enemy. (OT Exodus 15:6)

The LORD came from Sinai…from his right hand went a fiery law for them. (OT Deut. 33:2)

And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying to me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: (NT Rev. 1:17)

Therefore, the right hand of God stands for God’s fiery law.

A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left. (OT Eccl. 10:2, Satan is always mentioned as being at God‘s left)

And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for you that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body... (NT Matt. 5:30)

But I say unto you, That you resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. (NT Matt. 5:39)

Why the right cheek?

In Bible writings, the ‘right side (as opposed to the left side) ’ is always synonymous ‘with God’s fiery law’. Therefore, the meaning is figurative: if someone rejects God’s law (right hand/cheek) then ‘don’t resist (argue your point)‘.

And if thy right eye offend you, pluck it out, and cast it from you... (Matt. 5:29)

The whole idea being that if your right hand (cheek/eye) does not have God’s law (wisdom - first post) then ‘cut it off’. The figurative sense of ‘cut’ is to ‘severe all ties with the old (left/not God’s law) and unprofitable knowledge’.

In present Christianity (and other Bible-based religions), people ‘cut off their left hand’ thinking they are replacing their old ideas with God’s law. Instead, not knowing the principles of wisdom, have merely replaced left thinking with another kind of left thinking.

God’s fiery law is a confirming principle (wisdom). It’s not simply repetitiveness because repeating information can be mere copying. Rather the confirming principle is one where the repetitiveness is unusual (puzzle paradigm effect: not something human beings would have been capable of doing).

• 2 months later...

I thought some of you might find this interesting because the topic usually stirs such controversy. God's rod is often interpreted in religious circles as a command to beat children into submission but here‘s the proper interpretation:

He that spares his rod hates his son: but he that loves him chastens him betimes. (Proverbs 13:24)

Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. (Proverbs 22:15)

Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beat him with the rod, he shall not die. (Proverbs 23:13)

Thou shall beat him with the rod, and shall deliver his soul from hell. (Proverbs 23:14)

The rod and reproof give *wisdom: but a child left to himself brings his mother to shame. (Proverbs 29:15)

The LORD's voice cries unto the city, and the man of *wisdom shall see thy name: hear you the rod, and who hath appointed it. (Micah 6:9 - hear, as in something we should listen to)

Feed thy people with thy rod... (Micah 7:14 - the idea is that ‘wisdom’ feeds the mind)

But with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and reprove with equity for the meek of the earth: and he shall smite the earth: with the rod of his mouth, and with the breath of his lips shall he slay the wicked. (Isaiah 11:4)

Therefore, the rod is ‘what God speaks’ (rod of correction/the idea that proper teaching/wisdom brings correction).

*see first post