Science Forums

Perpetual Motion Machine

mr magoo

So here is my perpetual motion machine.

What it does is rotate three things on three anchor bolts. These things hold magnets and interacts with each others magnets.

What is supposed to happen is the middle part, the rotating disk, is supposed to connect with the spinning part on the left.

Then when this happen the base of the left part has a sprocket that is attached to a chain, and this then turns and when that happens the right part starts to turn too.

But I don't own a sprocket and chain, so I am spinning the left part with my finger.

What I am trying to do with the left part is sping the north and south pole magnets it has, and so turn the disk in the middle.

If I can turn the disk in the middle by moving the left part with my finger, then if I had a sprocket and chain the motion would not have to be touched once it started to turn, it would keep turning on it's own.

I will explain the device now. It is built using Plastic Canvas that I cut. This holds three Anchor Bolts. The anchor bolts have a bolt nut that a washer rests on and the spinning parts rests on the washer.

If I had a sprocket and chain it would be out of sight and below the base, invisible to the eye. I would join the base of two anchor bolts to two sprockets, and then join the two sprockets via a chain.

What I'm trying to do in the video is attract a magnet on the disk, and then repel it away. This brings the next magnet on the disk towards the part I'm spinning with my finger. That's the general idea.

There is two ways to move something using magnets:

1, is to use north and south poles together on a third north or south pole.

2, is to attract north and south poles together.

It's the difference between grabbing, or grabbing and then letting go.

Perpetual motion.

North - south magnets, grab either the north or south pole of the magnet on the disk, and then let it go. This is then repeated, but from a different angle. Over and over this is repeated, perpetually.

My device has three parts. The middle spinning disk is either the single north or south pole, and then there is a set: north and south pole, on both the far left and right.

My link to youtube video that shows the prototype

post-19815-0-22918400-1295216927_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking of making a home made sprocket and chain.

For the sprocket I will try and use three washers: two are the same size and one is smaller. The smaller washer goes inbetween the two larger washers and they are glued together.

The three washers then hold a rubber band and this joins the far left and right rotating magnets. This sprocket and rubber band is on top instead of on the bottom of the device, so it runs faster with less friction.

It may take a few days to get it made a worked out though.

This sprocket and rubber band is on top instead of on the bottom of the device, so it runs faster with less friction.
The better you eliminate friction, the longer it will run once set in fast enough motion. What you should expect to find in any case is that there will be several equilibrium positions, alternating between stable and instable ones, like a road with ups and downs along the way. With a fast enough motion it will make it through all the ups, otherwise it will approach an instable point and go back the opposite way and then keep going back and forth.

I'm thinking of making a home made sprocket and chain.

For the sprocket I will try and use three washers: two are the same size and one is smaller. The smaller washer goes inbetween the two larger washers and they are glued together.

The three washers then hold a rubber band and this joins the far left and right rotating magnets. This sprocket and rubber band is on top instead of on the bottom of the device, so it runs faster with less friction.

It may take a few days to get it made a worked out though.

Do understand though that in order to get it to run perpetually you will have to get it down to NO friction.

Here's a frictionless entry and release sprocket: Link to United States Patent 4257519

I was talking to my family about it and said to them that the thing will spin very fast when it works, like a scary speed fast. And for the sprocket and chain I was going to use a plastic lego assembly. What happens when it starts spinning to fast and shatters the plastic toy chain?

So I will leave this project alone now and go my way. If somebody wants to try then feel free, but be warned that if it works it will start to move really, really fast.

Here's a frictionless entry and release sprocket: Link to United States Patent 4257519

The 'frictionless' in that sprocket design doesn't mean it is a frictionless sprocket unler load, only that it doesn't use a friction dependent method like a clutch to engage and disengage the sprocket with the load.

Your fears of it running away at high speeds are simply a misunderstanding of the friction that will bring it to a halt.

I say you should go ahead and build it as speedily and well as you're able.

But, when it doesn't work (it doesn't spin continuously and it doesn't speed up) I hope you consider that the reason why it isn't working may be that the laws of nature, which science has managed to work out, insist that it should not work.

I would encourage people to make their perpetual motion machine if for no other reason than to test an hypothesis and learn some engineering. But, unfortunately, it seems like what usually happens is that people build it, see that it doesn't work, then believe that they need to make it just a bit better and it will work—which turns into a little perpetual cycle of its own ;)

~modest

So I built one new model and used a rubber band and three washers as described before. But the rubber band made the washers turn unpredictably and after a few rotations the washers were out of alignment. And they turned jerky too. So I will have to buy a few parts and see how that goes. Which will take a few weeks for the orders to arrive. I'm not sure which parts to buy yet so it's still not ready to be bought yet. I am working it out and should have a new model in a months time or so.

• 6 months later...

Nice going Mr Magoo.

I am also a Perpetual "ENGINE" builder. When I first got the idea over 16 years ago EVERY one told me it was impossible. Despite this and Numerous failed attempts. I have built 3D working model and am currently trying to figger out how to build this intricate device on my own. Prototype 23something is 1/2 built in my shed but the parts need to be so perfectly balanced and intricate that I need to have them machined. For example one of the parts is a cog that does not even exist.

The first problem that u are going to find with your model is that as the magnets(and wheels there attached to) spin they will find a point that they want lock into. The reason for this, u will end up finding out is how the 2d law of thermodynamics apply's its self to magnets.

Basically it goes like this :

When u use the to magnets to repel each other u will need the exact amount of force (be it another magnet or pushing it with ur finger) to get it back to the same position! e.g any energy u get out gets taken away in the exact same proportion e.g. 1 - 1 = 0

so if u have it all "balanced" perfectly, unfortunately you will find that when u spin the wheel it should spin the same as if there where no magnets at all!

HOWEVER don't let this deter you,Im almost 99% there is an answer and u have to build your model and learn from it to figger out how to move further.

This how ever is just the beginning ... the time spent thinking implications of if I(we) are right, Should out weigh the amount of time spent designing and building the device.

• 2 weeks later...