Science Forums

The Armegeddon- a fruit of our pockets?

stringwalker

I had an argument with my physics teacher about this and I wonder what you think about it.

Progress is essence of human nature. Getting better bigger and better machines, being better than others or oneself, expanding horizons, etc... All these things are goals of progress set out by the human mind. To execute these goals more and more time and energy is needed. To acquire this energy, power and money is needed. Now my question is do you believe that we will blow ourselves up before dying of something beyond our power or will we be able to reach unversal harmony, giving us the ability to work as a unity to better our knowledge?

I have faith in humanity that we will not destroy ourselves, although I can understand why it would seem logical to assume that as our knowledge grew, so to would each individual's ability to kill massive amounts of people. I also, however, think that technology will plateau at some point, and will not increase with the exponential leaps and bounds that it has during the past two centuries. It may take a few hundred years, but I think that there will be a limit on how destructive we can be.

Humans are quite adept at turning new technology into weaponry.

I think the inevetable outcome is that as genetic research grows and the synthesis of designer organisms we will inadvertantly (or possibly even intentionaly) make some new nasty bugs. We already are pushing the natural selection with this by our over-use of anti-biotics. This is a realm that humans are charging into w/o a lot of knowledge of how things will turn out. Yes, hypothetically, we have safe guards, but the other thing humans have continually shown is their boundless ability to think in new and creativly dumb ways.

Humans are quite adept at turning new technology into weaponry.

I think the inevetable outcome is that as genetic research grows and the synthesis of designer organisms we will inadvertantly (or possibly even intentionaly) make some new nasty bugs. We already are pushing the natural selection with this by our over-use of anti-biotics. This is a realm that humans are charging into w/o a lot of knowledge of how things will turn out. Yes, hypothetically, we have safe guards, but the other thing humans have continually shown is their boundless ability to think in new and creativly dumb ways.

I agree. We already use our technology to kill one another and we already have the technology to kill everything on the planet....Every new innovation in technology has a good and bad application.

I honestly think that the only way we will not be the mother of our armegeddon is by living in a utopia. Most of humans follow to what they are told. Just like how Hitler brainwashed the Nazis into a genocide. They need a leader to guide them, it's a question of who can fulfill this position to everybodies content and cannot be bought. Have a community of peace and union for the better of our own world. Which in my opinion, we will never completely acheive.

Or another way to stop this disaster would be through fear. Just like how chemical warfare wasn't used in WWII because people feared the other side had them. But a world governed by fear isn't the ideal utopia. Or we might actually change. I recently heard of this theory that humans are soon to be extinct and we will soon reach a level of a superhuman society. Sounds a little far fetched but interesting.

What do you think can save us from fate?

So then what will lower our chances of deviating from that particular path?

Simple rules to live by to avoid Armegeddon:

Walk on your tip toes

Don't try "No Doz"

Stay away from those that carry around a fire hose

Keep a clean nose

Watch the plain clothes

Don't follow leaders

Watch the parkin' meters

Get dressed, get blessed

Try to be a success

Please her, please him, buy gifts

Don't steal, don't lift

Jump down a manhole

Light yourself a candle

Don't wear sandals

Try to avoid the scandals

Don't wanna be a bum

You better chew gum

Bobby Z's always been a pretty smart guy when it comes to living right...

Folksy,

Buffy

___The spread of concerns by such means as your communication is what may keep us from self-destruction. I think human devastations are more likely from Mother Nature though, eg, ice age, meteor impact, volcanoes, etc. In that case we have insufficient technical ability to forestall disaster.

___Humanity has survived inumerable disasters, otherwise we wouldn't be having this discussion. Chance favors the prepeared mind. ;)

Cold fusion is the ability to acheive nuclear fusion at a temperature colder than is currently necessary for thermonuclear reactions, which is in the millions of degrees C. It seems that this group is demonstrating it at around room temp.

As for it's usefulness to an island, well, do you need energy on that island?