Science Forums

Linux / Open Source forum?

Wine (Windows emulation for those unaware)

Wine is not a windows emulator, it stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator and is not an emulator, it in fact, is a library that translates windows and directX calls into linux and opengl ones. (for more info: http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index#DIFFERENCE-BETWEEN-WINE-AND-EMULATORS)

To my knowledge there isn't a good financial application available for Linux yet.

there's aqmoney(online banking), kmymoney2(personal finance manager) and kbudget(budget tool (both budget and money management)), probably other smaller projects too...

Wine is not a windows emulator, it stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator and is not an emulator, it in fact, is a library that translates windows and directX calls into linux and opengl ones. (for more info: http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index#DIFFERENCE-BETWEEN-WINE-AND-EMULATORS)

there's aqmoney(online banking), kmymoney2(personal finance manager) and kbudget(budget tool (both budget and money management)), probably other smaller projects too...

Yes, you are correct, technically it is not an emulator, but the average Joe wouldn't understand the difference anyhow. I tried connecting to my bank with kbudget and it refused the connection :)

I guess that since there is not that many people who use linux on these forums, there isnt one tormod, as much as I'd like there to be one... but for now the CS section can probably handle Linux and Open Source questions. I still hope to eventually fork a Linux/Open Source forums, but its not until we get at least 2 to 3 times as many people using GNU everything that we sould probably consider it (and that will take a while :))