Science Forums

Maths in Everyday Life

Hello

So, I have a project on Maths in Everyday Life though initially I was thinking on doing something on how to predict rise and fall in stock market but after an hour of search the result wasn't attractive.

Anyways any suggestion or ideas are welcome , doesn't matter if they are related to stock market :kettle:

Well, it is a lot of maths, diagonal is the quickest if you have just to minimize the distance, but then if there is a very steep hill on the diagonal, you might be quicker turning around the hill on the left, but if there are a lot of streetlights there it might be better on the right.

So you have to come up with a model where all this is considered. In my exapmle above there are 3 variables (distance, number of street lights and height difference), but you could add more, like the average length of the streets lights. But actually, I have to admit it might get very complicated to actually compute it.

So, to minimize this, I might ask first at which level in math are you?

Hello

I was thinking on doing something on how to predict rise and fall in stock market but after an hour of search the result wasn't attractive.

Why not? Math is used in predicting stock market. There are two methods of predict stock market: (1) fundamental valuation and (2) technical valuation. Both use math as the backbone. Fundamental valuators look at the business fundamentals of each company or the market. Business math is involved. Technical valuators look at trends in the form of charts and graphs. Geomtery is involved. There are plenty of books written on these subject.

I know that....but the thing is I don't know what to write.

I also had an idea that I could do a project on how much calorie is gained from an eatable and how much needs to be burned

sounds more like a problem with writing rather than a problem with math. i browsed this tutorial & it seems a fair place to start. :phones: i don't agree with the author inasmuch i think it is never too late to start, but i think the instructional parts of the piece are ok. let me know if it helps or hurts. B)

Jan's Free Content Writing Effectively: A Two-Part Guide to the Well-Written Text, Part 1

...Sadly, writing skills are no longer emphasized in school. High school students do not have the skills for writing term and research papers. Colleges and universities are re-introducing writing skills into their curriculum in order to produce graduates who do possess these skills, but for many it is too late to be able to effectively write college papers.

□OUTLINING YOUR TOPIC

Divide your topic into at least three workable segments, and title each segment (or a short description of the segment’s topic). Now take those three segments and put them in their most logical order. Before the first segment, make note to provide an introduction and allow for a conclusion after the last segment. Title your work. Now you have a workable outline. ...