Science Forums

Never Take a Wooden Nickel from an Indian

syphrix

I Googled across some posts on these forums while searching for how to calculate distance to stars. I poked around enough to warrant creating an account. Don't mind me, though, I'll be quietly perusing in the background.

Oh, but I do have one question: What did the pear say to the knife?

I Googled across some posts on these forums while searching for how to calculate distance to stars. ...

Hi there Syphrix,

I recently found an excellent short answer to your question over at a wonderful website called Straight Dope , managed by Cecil Adams, one of the smartest people in the world. So he says. And who am I to disagree?

Click the link and take a look.

Pyro

Hi there Syphrix,

I recently found an excellent short answer to your question over at a wonderful website called Straight Dope , managed by Cecil Adams, one of the smartest people in the world. So he says. And who am I to disagree?

Pyro

Wonderful! That's exactly the type of condensed response I was searching for! What's funny is that I kept finding articles about using Parallax but I didn't know how scientists measured the distance to the closer object of reference. Thanks a ton!

@modest - No, I've never been much of a pealing fellow -- My mother never showed me how; she's a good woman, though. As for the joke, I sadly cannot claim credit for it. A friend of mine told me that one a while back.