Science Forums

HCNA05 - Finalizing things, as it's getting CLOSE!!

IrishEyes

Ok folks, I was just finalizing the reservations and encountered a problem...

I know who is going to attend, and how many rooms I need to get... but:

What airport will Tormod and Yvonne be flying into? And that is on Wednesday, correct? And you will check out on Sunday, correct?

And Killean and GAHD will be arriving on Thursday, correct? and leaving on Sunday also, correct?

And zad, becca and dave only need rooms for friday and saturday, correct?

Sorry to keep bugging you guys, just had a crazy few weeks and trying to get this stuff finalized.

it looks like we won't be flying in, but taking the motorcycle up for the weekend. so our times are a bit more flexible, but we have to leave sunday by noon, as we have a thing on Sunday evening at home...

and does anyone have any problems with staying in Jersey a mile from the train into the city? i found a rather incredibly reasonable place there

Candlewood

also found one in long island city, also within a mile of the subway.

Holiday Inn Midtown tunnel

i'm trying to keep the expenses down, but you guys will have to be willing to walk a bit and take the subway instead of being close to everything or taking cabs, ok? if anyone has any problems, tell me NOW, before I finalize everything...

speak now or forever hold your piece! ;)

Thanks, Killean! I like the candlewood as well, but that's a story I *may* or may not share when we meet. ;)

Yeah, the cabfare from JFK or LG is what bothers me. I know that T&Y will be coming into the city, but can't remember which airport they're using.

I'm not that concerned about zad and the gang, as I believe they are driving in. We're still trying out a way to get a few of the local Mods there... Any suggestions?

We arrive on Wednesday to the JFK. I would like to live quite close as I have never been to NY, and have no intention on leaving without having a look.

As has been discussed before - isn´t better to spend a few extra dollars on a closer location and less dollars on cabs and time to get to and from things!

Yvonne

... That means I would rather go with the latter one!

We arrive on Wednesday to the JFK. I would like to live quite close as I have never been to NY, and have no intention on leaving without having a look.

As has been discussed before - isn´t better to spend a few extra dollars on a closer location and less dollars on cabs and time to get to and from things!

Yvonne

... That means I would rather go with the latter one!

Well, both places are out of the city, and cab fares will be high. But both of the places are near subway stops, so either one should get us there easily. Staying int he city will be between $200-$300 per night, where staying outside and traveling in will be closer to $100-$150 a night. We stayed in Queens, and cabs into the city were close to $40 each way. So one cab trip cancels out anything you save on hotel fare. But if we are thrifty and use the subway, there is the potential to save a bundle.

Again, we'll be on the motorcycle, so it really doesn't matter a lot to us. The other difference is that the one in Jersey offers a full kitchen, whereas the one in Queens offers free breakfast. So that's about even, I think. I don't mind cooking lunch for everyone, or even dinner. I love to cook, especially for friends.

Essentially it's up to you guys, and I have one vote for each place. Both places have openings for all of us.

Any chance that Dave can share a room with the Crazy Canucks? That would also save some cash... Splitting three ways would be cheaper. Just a thought...

The one in Jersey sounds good to me!

As for activities...are we still set for the Science museum/planetarium?

HAH!

You don't get to vote, as I already have the vote from Norway, sorry. Only one vote from each household, ok? You guys can't vote for different places. ;)

Of course, if you want to get Yvonne to switch to the Jersey one, that'd be fine with me... ;)

Oh, and we're planning on the trip the Museum/planetarium on Saturday.

We'll do the chat on Friday afternoon/evening, after everyone arrives. Then a free night, where we have nothing planned. Saturday, after breakfast, we'll head to the museum/planetarium. Saturday afternoon/evening, we can do the tourist thing. Tormod is buying pizza Saturday night! ;) Sunday will be shopping and other fun stuff, basically a free day as well...

Not too many plans, but enough to have things to do together. Any other suggestions will be gladly welcomed, as long as they don't conflict with these plans! ;) (j/k)

Tormod is buying pizza Saturday night! ;)

Yup! So anyone who can make it...this is the Real Deal!!!

Sunday will be shopping and other fun stuff, basically a free day as well...

*gulp* I have a feeling it won't feel so free when I check the CC statement after our return home... ;)

and does anyone have any problems with staying in Jersey a mile from the train into the city? i found a rather incredibly reasonable place there

Candlewood

I'm easy, but I would like to point out that Liberty Science Center is also in Jersey City, and maybe 10 minutes by light rail from this hotel. It is also near the PATH tubes, which is a subway that run from NJ to NYC.

Well, be glad that we're not going with the 'first draft' of the schdule:

Friday - internet chat in the afternoon, followed by shopping (for yarn and sewing stuff)

Saturday - breakfast with the gang, followed by shopping in the afternoon (for books and such); late pizza lunch; continue shopping (for clothes and such), and then dinner; Followed, of course, by MORE shopping (tourist thinggs, you know)

Sunday - farewell brunch; shopping at Bloomindales; followed by shopping at Macy's; lunch in SoHo, followed by more (guess!?!) SHOPPING!!!

See, you are getting lucky, aren't you!???

I'm easy, but I would like to point out that Liberty Science Center is also in Jersey City, and maybe 10 minutes by light rail from this hotel. It is also near the PATH tubes, which is a subway that run from NJ to NYC.

Ok, that's the voice of reason I wanted to hear.... thanks, zad!

Tormod, your job will be to get Yvonne to change your vote ;)

Seriously, we've talked, and I think she'll be up for either one. That wife of yours is a gem, and I'm thrilled to actually get to meet her!!!

The Jersey one will work for us as well, as we can park the bike there without having to travel into the city. Plus, they fill up your gas tanks for you in jersey - how cool is that?

So - is it May already? ;)

OK, OK I go where the crowd goes.... besides.. I understand what majority means.. besides...well..

Love to actually get there.

Well, the crowd is going to be wherever YOU are. ;)

Personally, I like both as well. But that means a bigger cabfare for you on an arrival. Either way is fine with me. Both have their charms. But the Jersey one is closer for the three from Jersey, the Canucks and us, I guess.

Again, I can't say enough wonderful things about you, that you guys are going to be here, and that you've agreed to share your American vacation with a bunch of goons from the internet!

Watch out, New York, we're on our way!!!

But the Jersey one is closer for the three from Jersey, the Canucks and us, I guess.

Well, not exactly. I was going to take the train to NY so I wouldn't have to pay $37/day to park the car, but public to Jersey City is a little trickier. Maybe I'll get the wife to drop us off. Either way, we are only about an hour away.

There is a possibility I will have to work that weekend, in which case, Mrs. Zad has volunteered to bring Beccareb. You'll get along; she sews and shops. In that case, I will still try to meet up for a meal or something. I work only about 25 minutes away.

• 2 weeks later...

Shopping and sewing - sounds perfect. I would have come up with a few restaurants so we can do our booking now. I'll also try to put together a plan for the weekend. A plan can always be changed. I just have to sew and finish a quilt for a christining first. I was thinking of setting up a plan with one major thing each day - then an exploration of the neighborhood, with a reservation for dinner (cheap or average priced). Does this sound OK? One of the "big" things is the Planetarium!