Science Forums

Definition of God

paigetheoracle

What is your definition of God?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your definition of God?

• An organising principle in the universe (mind)
    • A force (energy)
    • Somebody that cares for you, personally(human like being)
    • God as myself (ego/ new age)
    • None of the above
    • I am sceptical of any belief in a supreme being(agnostic)
    • I don't believe in a God, not even as myself (atheist)

"The woman who pressed the start button."

That's not a "supreme being" but more like a chemist with a petri dish in a lab, or possibly simply a gaseous by-product of Homer Simpson's consumption of a can of Duff beer. Hopefully the former.

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it, :doh:

Buffy

...Moon goddess told them what to do.

...:hihi:...

"My father's people say that at the birth of the sun and of his brother the moon, their mother died. So the sun gave to the earth her body, from which was to spring all life. And he drew forth from her breast the stars, and the stars he threw into the night sky to remind him of her soul." ~La Longue Carabine (Nathaniel)—adopted son of the Mohican people

~modest :)

God is a pure invention of the human mind: nothing more and nothing less.

...and who or what invented the human mind?:)

The human mind is a pure product of evolution, of natural selection: nothing more, nothing less. :hihi:

See also: Evolutionary psychology, Evolutionary neuroscience, Evolutionary biology, Common descent, and Paleoanthropology.

There are many places to find information about the evolutionary processes that culminate hitherto with the human mind. One such place is The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins.

CC

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

(Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion)

YouTube - Richard Dawkins vs The God of the Old Testament. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9PBbmNwBdY

LOL

CC

Before voting, I had a question : were it possible to discern between the voice of the "humans together" and the one of God ?

To me it is in part 'humans together' but I personally see it as all life, all existence together (minerals, plants, atoms, animals - everything created, which I had meant to add as a poll question).:naughty:

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.”

(Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion)

LOL

CC

Well according to Gnostics, the God of the old testament isn't god, just a powerful being or demiurge/ demi-god. Think of the power any dictator has over a population and give it advanced technology, when compared with the local inhabitants ('Any technologically advanced civilization will appear like magicians, to those without those powers' to paraphrase Arthur C. Clarke). Could it be that the God of the old testament was an ET race or perhaps the remains of an advanced super-civilization that existed here once - who knows? Whatever, they/ it/ him sound like they have characteristics that are all too human (division and conquest, unlike the New Testament God under Jesus, the mediator but also rebel against the old order).

An irrelevant question.

You are quite right in a way but it is the definition that counts - personally I see God as Go(o)d. To me it is not a person but an attitude, which when I'm in it makes perfect sense of everything because I am connected to everything (elation as a state). It is overwhelming and keeps me busy like a juggling act because it doesn't give me time to slip into the (D)evil side of things (yes I'm playing with words here to make a point). Like Einstein I believe 'Mystery' is what drives us on to explore as finding answers destroys that curiosity and makes us self-indulgent (materialistic/ unadventurous). To me g(o)od is unity, co-operation, connection to the greater whole, creation, having a clean slate (returning to innocence): We make Go(o)d in our unity and the (d)evil by our disunity or to quote Sherman 'War is hell'.

Evil is just physically 'destruction' and mentally 'negativity' - both of which are breaking our hold on here and now (suicide/ distrust). Seen in these terms good and evil are measurable responses to reality - which is God (what we create) and evil, which is what we destroy (old buildings have to come down, so that there is space for new ones to be built). It is attitude and result - the bringing of something into existence or its total removal (turning it into nothing). In terms of time the past falls back into dust, unless we maintain it, the present is what is here and the future is the vision (new idea)we turn into concrete reality by dragging it into the space of here and now. It is a whole system that draws in and pushes out reality, physically like the body and eating/ procreation and the mind as ideas. This is how I see go(o)d and reality as mentioned in my very first post some years back as an accumulation/ discharge cycle: Freud apparently wanted psychoanalysis to be the new religion for a scientific age but only included the negative side of humanity as he wanted to 'cure' it. I just want to understand it and that means observation and leaving it alone to display what it is and how it works or the observer effect and general interference comes into play i.e. idealism and trying to alter something before you fully comprehend it (prejudice based on fear of consequences).

Any way this will give you something to chew on.