Science Forums

Instability of Earth orbit and climate change.

I saw that there were calculations(Milankovitch or astronomical theory of climate change) that tried to reconcile the Ice Ages with subtle wobbles and variations in Earth's orbit and spin. Many fit in but some did not. Since reading this I saw calculations that indicated large scale geologic events (most notably tsunami) can alter the rotation of the Earth (It was estimated that the tsunami caused the Earth to rotate slightly faster and actually shortened the day by little). Could this be the possible missing liink in these original calculations?

Perhaps this is what you meant, but I heard it was the earthquake, not the tsunami, which altered the earths rotation (moving more mass closer to the center of the earth, I believe). In that case, many earthquakes leave little to no record of their occurance, and would be REALLY hard to fit into any pattern like that.

Perhaps this is what you meant, but I heard it was the earthquake, not the tsunami, which altered the earths rotation (moving more mass closer to the center of the earth, I believe).

You are correct. There's an article here.

Volcanoes pose one of the greatest threats to claimate change though. Here's an article on that.

You are correct. There's an article here.

Volcanoes pose one of the greatest threats to claimate change though. Here's an article on that.

Agreed C1ay; I believe that a change in the earth's magnetic alignment might also have a sugnificient effect on our weather patterns. I'm going to google this and see if there is some information about this possibility.

Agreed C1ay; I believe that a change in the earth's magnetic alignment might also have a sugnificient effect on our weather patterns. I'm going to google this and see if there is some information about this possibility.

I've read a little on that possiblity, and from what I've seen, little correlation between climate change and magnetic polarity flips have been found. But let us know what you find!

I'd be curious to see if a magnetic flip affected bird migrations and carrier pidgons.

___It is now found that most animals (including us in our pineal gland) have a tiny particle of magnetite in their brains by which they may, and do, orient themselves to Earth's magnetic field.

___All of the data fields mentioned, ie. magnetic alignment, wobble, earthquake effects, etc. constitute an interrelated dynamic system & so must have some effect. Nothing is not connected. The Butterfly Effect is a fact & always at play.

___I also note no one has yet mentioned the direct effects of the Sun on Earth weather; inasmuch as it ultimately drives it all, every wiggle, wobble, or outburst on the Sun has some affect on us. Further, our magnetic field is nested in the Sun's magnetic field & pushed around by it as iron filings on a sheet.

___The problem of knowing what weather or climate is coming is a problem of having sufficient data & the knowledge of how the parameters affect one-another.

___Just an afterthought on the correlation between weather & the magnetic field. During the period when the field is actually changing poles, computer models show that the overall field is so disoriented & weak that it no longer has the power to deflect the solar wind. When Earth receives the full spectrum of the Sun, not only is weather going to go wild, but much of the bio mass is going to suffer severe radiation effects. SPF 5 million anyone?

___Now that is an interesting point I wish to expound on. Indeed we have dangers at every hand, both small and large, known and not known; no end of things to fear. ___However, the very fact that we discuss these past global disasters is proof enough that someone survived them. So how was it for these survivors? Not good; not good at all!

___Clearly too, we (you, and I, and they) all descend from these survivors & so must have inherited some of their survival instincts or skills.

___Now since I mean to imply that we may survive as well as they, and further mean to posit that the better prepared for disaster then the better the chance of surviving one, there is still that wicked little problem of chance, luck, fate, etc. By that I mean the natural disaster kills without regard; no regard for genius, kindness, stupidity, or cruelty.

___Makes you want to do a little magic eh? Just in case. :)

___It isn't clear from the article, however I suspect a large scale failure would be necessary to really strip the ozone. The poles are moving more rapidly in the last 300 years, & some anomolous polarity changes in small areas suggest a possible flip, but we still know too little to predict a flip.

___It isn't clear from the article, however I suspect a large scale failure would be necessary to really strip the ozone. The poles are moving more rapidly in the last 300 years, & some anomolous polarity changes in small areas suggest a possible flip, but we still know too little to predict a flip.

No, the article doesn't say that the magnetic poles had anything to do with it. Those ozone losses were the result of high concentrations of nitrogen over artic areas as a result of the cold air and some abnormal solar winds. It is coincidentally where one of the magnetic poles are and I was wondering if it somehow contributed.