Science Forums

Anyone There Quited Smoking?

imbrad07

Thanks for the reply guys. One of my friend Jeff advised me to go with generic zyban. Is it a better way to quit smoking?

In my opinion a medication can only be an aid to cessation. You have to accept that you are the only force that can accomplish it. Use the aids only if you find that you need them to help get past the rough spots.

I stopped smoking in the Spring of 1975. :)

I was 33 and had been smoking lightly since I was 15 or 16. Usually 1/2 to 1 packs a day. I was in my first year learning to be a department chair and it was pretty stressful. I found myself approaching two packs a day and finally had a "moment" that changed my life.

I was starting to smoke in class. It was rude then, and in light of today's attitudes totally unacceptable. <_< . One day as I lectured at the blackboard I forgot which hand was holding the chalk and I tried to puff on the chalk. It broke the class up, I was feeling very silly, and I thought to myself "Damnit, this is ridiculous"

What helped is that I came down with a flu-like respiratory illness the next day and it hurt like hell to inhale the smoke. Three days later I knew I could light up again but realized I had survived 3 days smoke-free when I was feeling bad at a time that a cigarette would be most satisfying.

I just decided I had survived the worst of it and never smoked again.

It wasn't hard, and I only suffered withdrawal for 20 years or so. :rolleyes:

It wasn't hard, and I only suffered withdrawal for 20 years or so. :rolleyes:
The hardest part of quitting has got to be staying quit...As best I can tell so far you never get rid of the urge/desire/whatever you want to call it to smoke...sux much...my wife and I both work in smoking environments and damn them cigs smell sooooooooooooooooooooooooo gooooood....I'd quit quitting tomorrow if it weren't for the idea that I caved and cigs still had control of me...I can't stand the idea of being a wus and so easily manipulated by an inanimate object...F*** that!....I am mine.

The hardest part of quitting has got to be staying quit...As best I can tell so far you never get rid of the urge/desire/whatever you want to call it to smoke...sux much...my wife and I both work in smoking environments and damn them cigs smell sooooooooooooooooooooooooo gooooood....I'd quit quitting tomorrow if it weren't for the idea that I caved and cigs still had control of me...I can't stand the idea of being a wus and so easily manipulated by an inanimate object...F*** that!....I am mine.

:D :D :D

I'm with you, brother. It was difficult for a long time but each day was a success and I didn't want to lose that feeling of success.

BTW, your signature quote is amusing but I hope you understand the difference between Weather and Climate. Just saying...

:wave2: