Science Forums

Anyone There Quited Smoking?

imbrad07

6 packs a day is quite excessive. With tax rates where I am, it is also quite expensive. There are many methods, any or all could work, but I can guarantee none of them will work unless you address these two things-

1) Regardless of the reason you first began smoking, it has now become a habit. Likely there are particular points in your daily routine that you regularly smoke. Also, there are likely situations that arise irregularly which prompt you to smoke. Either avoid these trigger situations as much as possible, or consciously change your habits. I used to smoke when stressed, and no matter how many times I tried to quit, I would start again when I allowed myself to become overly stressed. Identify the situations that you use nicotine as a crutch and either eliminate those situations, or replace the crutch with an alternative coping mechanism.

2) Nicotine is physically addictive. Whether you choose to quit cold-turkey, or you try to slowly decrease your smoking, you will feel the need to cheat. Don't. Only you can keep yourself from smoking.

Me and my Mrs. are celebrating more than a year since we quit:yay_jump::(

It hasn't been easy. I quit to help her quit not because I really wanted to so it was even harder.

I quit "cold turkey"...My wife's Dr. said she had to quit and put her on medication to help. One month later realizing that my continued smoking was making it very hard for her I vowed that as soon as my tobacco and papers were gone I would be buying no more ever.

If your ready to quit. Are willing to suffer now (and you will don't try to kid yourself...it ain't going to be easy) too avoid worse suffering later. and most importantly are determined to quit ...you will succeed.

Donk has linked a pretty good reference for quitting several persons there helped me a great deal.

The best advice I gained there though is to value time earned from not smoking.

For me it has been a little over a year since I was a two to three pack a day smoker...one year and 8 days since I've had a smoke and that time is very important to me...

it represents a lot of invested effort and a bit of misery I've made it through. It has taken that long to truly feel free from cig's. but I can honestly say with absolute certainty that I do not want or need a cigarette.

hi friends, I hope you all are well. but i am not well here.But i am not well here. I am getting addicted of smoking and i am feeling very bad regarding this. I want to quit smoking. Is there any way to quit smoking permanently?

I quit after just three cigarettes. Of course my cover charge only covered one night, and I was out of singles. Did I tell the whole story? I don't think it is appropriate. If I were you I would just quit. Find leverage on yourself to keep you from sliding back. You don't quit once, you quit every day for the rest of your life. Make the first day tomorrow.

Bill

• 10 months later...

Here are some tips which may help you to quit smoking.Nicotine physically alters and desensitizes the brain. It causes eleven different brain regions to grow millions of extra acetylcholine receptors. Successful quitting is allowing time for re-sensitization, time for reconditioning subconscious nicotine feeding cues, and time to move beyond years of conscious smoking rationalizations and minimizations.

Recent studies suggest that most of us became addicted to nicotine far quicker and while smoking far fewer cigarettes than previously believed possible. Two-thirds of all first time youth smokers will become chemically addicted. A June 2005 study (Kandel) found that 86.8% of students smoking nicotine at least once daily were already hooked solid using dependency standards contained in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders, 4th Edition.

The law of addiction states "administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance at the old level of use or greater." Yes, just one powerful puff of nicotine and you'll be faced with enduring nicotine detox all over again. We're not that strong. But adherence to just one rule guarantees success to all ... no nicotine just one day at a time, Never Take Another Puff!

Nicotine dependency is every bit as real and permanent as alcoholism. Don't play games with yourself. Treating a true addiction as though it were some nasty little habit is a recipe for relapse. There is no such thing as just one puff. It truly is an all or nothing proposition.

Quitting smoking nicotine is not impossible. In fact, we have more ex-smokers in the U.S. than current smokers. Whether we eventually learn the power of one puff through the school of hard-quitting-knocks or in lessons such as this, knowledge truly is power. We can either master our dependency or it will continue to master us.