Science Forums

God is the limit

tarak

The concept of God is an extension of human ego.Human ego is finite and has to be bundled in between boundaries.God reminds the frailty of humanness and makes one understand the relvance of his/her position towards a reference point in a very elemental way.For people who want to break the barrier through reason and logic,their own theorizations supported by scientific facts satisfy the finiteness of the ego.

Our world is the extension of our own mind.Our boundaries are very specific,personal and relative.So even our God too is relative.Human, being a social animal, his entire anxiety of his existence has been chanelized and structured as religion and the traditional God.For me God is always there,he is the order out of disorder or disorder out of order the infinite boundary that should always exist to show us our position and place in the realm of existence.

What if god was one of us.....

The concept of God is an extension of human ego.

I must say that in a way I agree with you there. For me, God is an invention of man from ancient times. God is man's effort to explain all of the things he could not understand. God was invented in man's image instead of the reverse. For men, God has been everything man has wanted him to be. Man has endowed his creation with all of the qualities he felt God should have and then turned to worship him. Yes, I would say an extension of the human ego is quite the description.

• 2 weeks later...
The concept of God is an extension of human ego.Human ego is finite and has to be bundled in between boundaries.God reminds the frailty of humanness and makes one understand the relvance of his/her position towards a reference point in a very elemental way.For people who want to break the barrier through reason and logic,their own theorizations supported by scientific facts satisfy the finiteness of the ego.

I am reminded of the complex plane (x, iy) and the representation of the circle.

X^2 + y^2 = 1

anything inside the circle you could call your ego, anything outside you call God...

Our world is the extension of our own mind.Our boundaries are very specific,personal and relative.So even our God too is relative.

How Marshall McCluann of you...

What if god was one of us.....

I really love that song.... :) {Joan Osborne, Relish, One of Us}

Maddog

I must say that in a way I agree with you there. For me, God is an invention of man from ancient times. God is man's effort to explain all of the things he could not understand. God was invented in man's image instead of the reverse. For men, God has been everything man has wanted him to be. Man has endowed his creation with all of the qualities he felt God should have and then turned to worship him. Yes, I would say an extension of the human ego is quite the description.

Interesting proposition... By act of this creation of God by Man, does this mean that

God can have an existence beyond the minds of Men ? :)

Maddog

Interesting proposition... By act of this creation of God by Man, does this mean that

God can have an existence beyond the minds of Men ? :)

I wouldn't say that it supports or excludes a God not invented by man, beyond the minds of men. It simply states that it is my opinion that early man invented the concept of a God or supreme being to explain the things he could not understand. Man has built on this through the ages and turned to worship his creation.

It does not say that there is no supreme being or God that is not a creation of man. I personally do not believe there is any God except the one that man invented, but I stop short of claiming outright that no such God exists. IMO, if I were to claim as fact that there could be no such God or supreme being I would be subject to the burden of proof to support my claim. There is no proof to support that claim, only the lack of proof that such a God exists. To that extent I try to remain open-minded just in case someone thinks they can proffer a rigorous proof that such a God does exist.

___I see no limit to our minds, frailtys and all, therefore no limit to the gods we imagine. I suppose I need to clarify 'our minds' to mean the collective of human minds, as the individual mind (my own comes to mind) is clearly limited.

___How many times in the past of human history on Earth has a disaster wiped out nearly everything & people had to reinvent technology & God? Or did they always? Maybe only this last time?

___Call it God or Dog, there seems a value in our thinking of something benevolently larger than ourselves, & the danger lies in trying to prove it to others.

___There is no limit to the imagination.

___The oldest written reference to a god is also the oldest written anything extant, and that is the Epic of Gilgamesh. One assumes it has an earlier oral tradition as well, rather than originating simply as a creative work of fiction. Let's say 5,000 -10,00 years?

___Nonetheless, tradition or no tradition, belief or no belief, show me your god with the same certainty and measure as you show me yourself & in the same timely fashion & let me put that to the test; otherwise, nothing written or said is of little value on the subject.

___The first person to invent a god was also the first person to use fear & mystery to get the others to do what they wanted. The very idea of someone else knowing unknowable things better than I or you, or any other person past, present, or future, is ludicrous.

I wonder though, did neanderthals invent a god concept to explain the things they didn't understand? It is a common practice among primitive peoples to do these things. Some invent gods of fire, water, air and the Earth. Of course it is also a common practice for them to invent beliefs in witches and spells too. It's really amazing how far some will go to create and believe fiction just to have something to believe in.

I wouldn't say that it supports or excludes a God not invented by man, beyond the minds of men. It simply states that it is my opinion that early man invented the concept of a God or supreme being to explain the things he could not understand. Man has built on this through the ages and turned to worship his creation.

I think you might has missed the point of my post. I was condering the proposition

earlier made that Man created God and not the other way around. I was considering

does creating a belief in the mind of a man (or woman) bring the concept into being

as though crystalizing it into existence. This was a consideration of a conjecture,

trying the thought of such on for size. I do feel that evil can crystalize in this way.

It is though evil can travel from one to another like a disease. Or course one could

say the same of whether how many little children believing in Santa Claus can actually

bring his existence into being. Same thought, different clothes. So here you have an

early culture, pick one how believe in their god(s). Do the belief of enough people

bring that belief into existence ?

It does not say that there is no supreme being or God that is not a creation of man. I personally do not believe there is any God except the one that man invented, but I stop short of claiming outright that no such God exists. IMO, if I were to claim as fact that there could be no such God or supreme being I would be subject to the burden of proof to support my claim. There is no proof to support that claim, only the lack of proof that such a God exists. To that extent I try to remain open-minded just in case someone thinks they can proffer a rigorous proof that such a God does exist.

In this I am with you on what I bolded of your statement. Even though I may have the

opposite belief (I do believe in God). I accept there is no current method I can create

to prove his/her existence. I do not preach to others whether to believe. My conviction

it is personal anyway. I will state though the grounds by which people beleive in

Not God (or no particular god) is still a belief without proof. I appreciate your sincerity

to admit it. That earns a lot of respect from me. :)

Maddog