Science Forums

ESP or subconscious perception?

paigetheoracle

I've noticed my most nervous dog reacts to things I can't sense, until either I get outside or later in the day. I could surmise it was lost in imagination or reacting to nothing as sceptics respond to psychic phenomena. I believe a lot we call paranormal in this respect is just subconscious or unconscious and that this breaks down as an effect of distance - either via time or space (You don't perceive something others do, until a different time period or through being nearer the source).

Another thing to take into consideration is that we may perceive something at a distance, which someone else doesn't because it never arrives at their door/ comes to fruition (We see someone fire a gun and jump for cover but the bullet never hits its mark for various reasons i.e. misfire/ sight off/ wind force, redirecting projectile away from its target/ other environmental forces). This is always the problem with prediction - look at weather forecasting/ Earthquake prediction/ anything else that fails to get off the ground

I've noticed my most nervous dog reacts to things I can't sense, until either I get outside or later in the day.
This is neither subconcious nor ESP, it is quite simply BSP.

Dogs naturally have great hunting skills, including Better Sensory Perception compare to us, especially in the auditive and olfactive. This combined with their instincts alerts them to things that we would not notice, or much later. To them it is perfectly concious and it is perfectly sensory.

Domestication can turn their skills from the purpose of hunting to things useful to their master or the community, look how police and military can exploit them. There are news stories about pet dogs, during their daily walking, getting into a state and leading people to the rescue of someone that otherwise would likely have eventually been found dead (or even never found, such as babies that had been thrown into the rubbish).

This is neither subconcious nor ESP, it is quite simply BSP.

Dogs naturally have great hunting skills, including Better Sensory Perception compare to us, especially in the auditive and olfactive. This combined with their instincts alerts them to things that we would not notice, or much later. To them it is perfectly concious and it is perfectly sensory.

Domestication can turn their skills from the purpose of hunting to things useful to their master or the community, look how police and military can exploit them. There are news stories about pet dogs, during their daily walking, getting into a state and leading people to the rescue of someone that otherwise would likely have eventually been found dead (or even never found, such as babies that had been thrown into the rubbish).

Methinks you have misunderstood my point - this is what I'm on about, not some mysterious force but just something that is picked up that we are not privy to because we are less gifted, less aware than someone or something else - a pet in this case. The idea of the thread is to point out that we may all be unaware of certain things beyond our senses but not beyond animals and certain peoples capacities. The argument is that we cannot be certain something doesn't exist at all because we cannot perceive it, just that is beyond us (Like an argument you can't win because the person you're arguing with has no idea what you're on about but you do, plus can see that they don't understand the point you're raising but 'think' they do).

The idea of the thread is to point out that we may all be unaware of certain things beyond our senses but not beyond animals and certain peoples capacities.
Why didn't you say so? :naughty: That's exactly what I meant by BSP. ;)

(Like an argument you can't win because the person you're arguing with has no idea what you're on about but you do, plus can see that they don't understand the point you're raising but 'think' they do).
:jab: right? :hihi: