Science Forums

Cell phone effects on computer

I've noticed that my cell phone seems to have some bizarre effects on my computer monitor. I keep my cell phone within 12 to 18 inches of my computer and when the cell rings it destabilizes the screen big time. Even bringing the cell close to the computer when I am talking on it will cause odd looking bands to travel up the computer screen. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this evidence of cell phones being dangerous in some way?

I'm guessing you have a CRT monitor, right?

It sounds like EMRI (Electro-magnetic Radiation Interference). I don't think this can damage the monitor. Just keep the cell phone a short distance away to minimize interference.

There've been no conclusive studies that link cell phones to human health hazards, that I'm aware of.

YouTube - Cell Phone Danger? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKMIFObH3so

I've seen it screwing around with my CRT, but the weirdest is my laptop. It's got a LCD panel, which is impervious to electromagnetic interference, but my cellphone screws with my mouse. I kid you not - whenever my cell goes off, my laptop cursor start running all over the screen. Regardless of whether I've got an external mouse plugged in or I'm using the touchpad. There must be a little controller chip inside somewhere that's really sensitive to EM interference, somehow. The CRT I can still understand.

which is impervious to electromagnetic interference

lol i wouldn't go that far, almost every em device can be effected by em interference, LCD monitors certainly can be influenced as well, its just that cell phones don't interfere with them as much as CRTs

As far as mice go, as well as speakers, a lot of cell phones now come with 3g cards, that are quad band, meaning that there is a lot of frequency ranges that this phone can interfere with, and considering that most mice are either bluetooth, which would mean that phone might actually cover that band, or, use insufficient shielding in the cords (usb, audio, whatever) (which makes many bands interfere), the cord starts acting like an antenni, inducing electricity in the cords...

The weird thing is that it affects the different pointing devices in a similar manner without any effect on other peripherals. It would be more understandable if it were just the USB mouse, or if were affecting these but also tapping your keyboard and whatever. Weird. At least, I think the only common ground between mouse and touchpad is software components.