Science Forums

1 = 2 ...?

Jay-qu

Well, this is apparently not a progression but just a lot of equations. So there is nothing wrong. The last line is just as isolated as the rest.

Edit: I misread the equations, sorry.

Still, the final line does not make sense at all. I don't see how you derive x=1 from this.

x = 2

x(x-1) = 2(x-1)

x2-x = 2x-2

x2-2x = x-2

x(x-2) = x-2

x = 1

it looks right but there is a mistake in there -> can you see it?

x(x-1) does not equal 2(x-1) or x2-x

x(x-1) = x^2-x

x2-2x does not equal x-2 either

The whole thing is riddled with errors....

The real point is that:

x = 2

and

x(x-1) = 2(x-1)

are only equivalent if x is not 1. This resolves the paradox.

There's nothing wrong with the rest of the algebra.

Huh? Doesn't x(x-1) = 2(x-1) resolve to x^2 - x = 2x - 2? I don't see how these can be equivalent except for x = 1 and x = 2.

Doesn't x(x-1) = 2(x-1) resolve to x^2 - x = 2x - 2?
Yes.

The trouble is not in that step but in the previous one. Or the one Zadojla points out. It's a matter of which way you go, or IOW the equivalence fails because, if x = 1 then (x - 1) is 0, if x = 2 then (x - 2) is 0. Multiplying both sides by zero doesn't give an equivalent equation, dividing both sides by zero doesn't make sense.

Yes.

The trouble is not in that step but in the previous one. Or the one Zadojla points out. It's a matter of which way you go, or IOW the equivalence fails because, if x = 1 then (x - 1) is 0, if x = 2 then (x - 2) is 0. Multiplying both sides by zero doesn't give an equivalent equation, dividing both sides by zero doesn't make sense.

I realize why the fallacy in the math. I was questioning your statement, "...are only equivalent if x is not 1."

I've seen similar 1=2 problems. They most always rely on division by 0 somewhere in the stack.

I was questioning your statement, "...are only equivalent if x is not 1."
I don't get your point, all the equations obtained after multiplication by (x - 1) are 0 = 0 in the x = 1 case. Hence they aren't fully equivalent to the equation x = 2. What, then, was your reason for questioning the statement?

I don't get your point...

Nothing, it was just a nitpick on wording. IMO the statements x=2 and x(x-1) = 2(x-1) are only equivalent for x = 2. It didn't make since to me to say, "they are equivalent only if x does not equal 1" because they are not equivalent for other values of x either.

interesting this all; especially the amount of discussion it stirs up ;)

It is indeed impid that x = (x-2)(x-2).

This equation means in simple terms: x=1, unless it is 2. since we required x to be 2, this equation does not imply that x is 1.

Bo