Science Forums

Shameless Request

UncleAl

Organic chemist Uncle Al is competing in a public physics essay contest, "What is Ultimately Possible in Physics?" FQXi Community His entry is exceptionally wicked! All of physics could be slightly wrong for a *testable* chemical footnote.

A lighthearted summary plus voting instructions are here, UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT Feel free to vote for anybody and everybody, but please vote for Uncle Al! "10" is the highest public vote rating.

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/bitrypt.png

A cute molecule as stereogram while we are waiting

All URLs are active on my end frrom clicking the links above. Try again tomorrow. Possibly have a talk with your firewall or anti-malware software.

Let's cost out the two benchtop experiments. rirst, a physics academic skilled in the art. Go for the world's best, The University of Washington Eot-Wash Group that unfortunately is strongly committed to zero risk, zero innovation, http://www.npl.washington.edu/eotwash/publications/pdf/lowfrontier2.pdf (pdf). An Eötvös balance costs about $2 million, plus its own isolation bunker. There might be five on the planet, all hard by 45 degrees latitiude for maximum differential signal. Two more in Washington State operate through UC/Irvine about 12 miles down the road from me, UCI Gravity Lab The Newman group is also zero risk, zero innovation. No Eötvös experiment has returned other than a perfect zero net output. The only risk is failing in a new way.

Required quartz chemical purity (ppm), dryness (Grade A), and order (low etch pit density) obtain by Sawyer Research's X-plate process (electronic quartz is Grade C, Z-plate). Quoted $20-30K and 12-18 months in a hydrothermal autoclave for single crystals of sufficent grown thickness of both hands. The rest of the parity Eötvös experiment costs like an SOP composition experiment.

Second, benzil two-stage solvent grows 2-cm diameter crystals in a silanized jelly jar over three days. Crystal chirality is confirmed by x-ray diffraction/Flack parameter. The parity calorimetry experiment partially ran in a volunteered commercial lab last Christmas. Heavily used equipment degrades - too much noise. The two DSCs ideally are identical and new, about $70K each. Or, do many runs plus statistics (e.g., undergrad project). Physics disdains chemistry.

The experiments may succeed or they may fail, but nothing happens until somebody looks. Science demands experiments challenging theory. "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong," Richard Feynman. Vote Uncle Al a big smooch, compel the Old Guard to try a new trick.

"8^>) Supose it worked to spec! Now comes the big joke...

Human Resoruces, "Ah, Dr. Schwartz, we see you have a Nobel Prize in Physics, for gravitation,"

Uncle Al, "Only one."

HR, "and that you seek employment as synthetic organic chemist."

Uncle Al, "Yes, that is my profession."

HR, "We believe that a technical employee must be a clear and direct embodiment of his competence. We call joyrides taken outside productive hiring 'degraded professional development'."

Happened to a friend of mine who had patents "in the wrong field." Support evolution - shoot back. A "10" is a bullseye credited to the good guys. God save us from the congenitally inconsequential.

It seems that you are currently in second place in the public voting with a score of 9.0 (47 votes) while some paper on the relationship between the observer has 9.4 (7 votes). I have not voted on that one yet, but will this week. I don't want to say I am going to vote to sway the results in your favor, but I guess it is OK to hint at it.

Bill

Thank you for the 10! Gravitation theory can be written parity-even or parity-odd. Parity-even is much easier, for negative inputs come out just like positive inputs. Alas, the universe is parity-odd in all examined weak interactions, right down to adding a parity-odd Chern-Simons term to parity-even Einstein-Hilbert action in quantized gravitations. Gravitation is the weakest interaction by 25 orders of magnitude.

If the vacuum is parity-odd in the massed sector - a left foot - then left and right shoes will vacuum free fall differently. ("Shoe" is a metaphore. Test bodies are explained.) Parity-even General Relativity will be demonstrated to be wrong, from a footnote. Somebody should look. Simple as that. Teleparallel gravitation (Einstein, 1931) takes over.

Surf the URL below, enjoy the YouTube (physics - gotta dance!), follow instructions for voting at the essay competition site. Read the comments posted while you are there. Uncle Al is a thoughtcriminal.

Vote for Uncle Al! Somebody should look.

--

Uncle Al

UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT

Vote a 10 for the experiments!

I encourage every one to read Uncle Al's proposal.

It is an awesome idea that the Universe may have odd-parity, and yet in a bizarre way, makes perfect sense. His proposal is written in a fashion that is terse, exact, but perhaps a bit "denser" than it needed to be. Don't let that stop you from reading it. Just call up WikiDictionary in a separate window and have at it.

After Uncle Al wins the Nobel Prize and goes on to use his theory to build the first Quantum Gravitational Discontinuity (QGD) generator (built entirely out of polymerized left-handed chiralized heavy-metal doped Fullerenes), we can only hope that he continues to remember us, the "little folk", who gave him so much encouragement and support.

:phones: :hihi: ;)

Yeaaaaaaa, Al !!!!!

Aw gee... Let's start with doing the experiment. Vote a 10 to push it! Failure is an orphan, success takes care of itself. Know the fear and do it anyway.

All fullerenes in point groups T (not Th or Td), O (not Oh), and I (not Ih) are maximally parity divergent. Those would be point group T isomers of C44, C52, C92, and C100; point group I isomers of C140 and C160. However, atom positions in the macroscopic crystal not in its formula unit must be calculated. CHI = 1 for perfect parity divergence. Log(1 - CHI) versus radius calculated for quartz and benzil,

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/qzdense.png

to 4.44x10^17 atoms contained

http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/bzdense.png

The scatter is not noise. As the radius of the ball of calculated atoms is progressively incremented its moments of inertia jiggle from total contained atoms and their positions. That jiggles CHI, J. Math. Phys. 40(9) 4587 (1999). The line fit is

log(1 - CHI) = -2[log(radius)] + [(180 - alpha)(pi)/60] - pi

where "alpha" is the largest three consecutive atom helix angle in the crystal and pi is 3.1415.... This rigorous stuff is in the paper accepted to be published first quarter 2010, not in the essay. Gravitation theorists are outraged! The vacuum must surely be isotropic as postulated.

"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman. Do the experiment.

--

Uncle Al

UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT

Vote a 10 for the experiments!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been invited to give a 50 minute talk at the Greater Los Angeles Mensa Regional Gathering, 12-15 February 2010. I'll have a couple of hands-on demos, slides, and bring along Horace (an 800 gram single crystal space group P3(2)21 z-plate of cultured quartz).

The essay contest is stalled. Friends, neighbors, family, coworkers... every 10 is a good 10! Domestic, foreign, or outworlder - an e-mail address unlocks the voting booth. Link below for further information and a music video.

--

Uncle Al

UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT

Vote a 10 for doing the experiments!

I've been invited to give a 50 minute talk at the Greater Los Angeles Mensa Regional Gathering, 12-15 February 2010. I'll have a couple of hands-on demos, slides, and bring along Horace (an 800 gram single crystal space group P3(2)21 z-plate of cultured quartz).

The essay contest is stalled. Friends, neighbors, family, coworkers... every 10 is a good 10! Domestic, foreign, or outworlder - an e-mail address unlocks the voting booth. Link below for further information and a music video.

--

Uncle Al

UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT

You going to post the talk online?

Bill

Post online? Nah. I'm not going to say anything that isn't in a pdf. The formal paperwill be published around January 2010 and I'll have a PDF of that text. It also says the same thing - but more forcefully, with model equations and software outputs.

Fullerene Diffraction

http://www.julianvossandreae.com/Work/C60article/c60article.pdf

New game: C60 has been diffracted. A series of homochiral identical molecules arrive at a double slit, split their wavefunctons as hey pas through, are diffracted, and are collected in bins on the other side. Are the collected molecules racemized? Is double slit diffraction parity-even or mirror-image (mirror plane normal to the plane of the grating and parallel to the length of the slits)?

What happens to chirality if a supersonically expanded, cryogenic molecular beam of resolved sec-butyl methyl ether, alpha-pinene, camphor, FHC=C=CFH, or twistane were diffracted? Would chirality in a rigid polycyclic system be more robust?

At low pressure and temperature this also probes Hund's paradox, e.g., Charles Day, Physics Today 62(9), 16 (2009) "Month-long calculation resolves 82-year old quantum paradox."

They did not resolve anything. In vitro veritas!

--

Uncle Al

UNDER SATAN'S LEFT FOOT