Science Forums

StarDrive(new technology) Question...

Nismoskyline

Hi,

Im a 17 year old high school student who recently came across a very interesting webpage. http://www.stardrivedevice.com/ . This site is about a new techonology(device) that is patented and can be used to make a ship that travels at near light speed. The website states that a ship could be constructed using current technology. Has anyone actually constructed such a ship, or even the device yet? Also the technology can be used to create a new source of power that puts out a lot more energy than is required to make the device create the energy. I am not a scientist and could not completely understand the aspects of the device. I was wondering if the people of this board could enlighten me on this subject, and give the details if it would actually work or not. What problems could be encountered, and other stuff like that? Like I said I am not the smartest in science just because of my age. I am very interested in all aspects of science, mostly new technology, and advances in science.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After going to the news section of their webpage. I found that the technology to be able to create such a ship is not around yet, but soon it will be. They have figured out how to do so, but with current technology it is impossible at this time. But the developement of their Electric Power Generator that would create a lot more energy than required to run it is almost complete, and in final developement stages right now. I do not think the site is just "misleading information" considering their idea is patented, and in developement. Sorry for the misunderstanding that the technology to create a ship that can travel at near light speeds is already available. They try to make it sound like that on their main page though, you just have to look into the site some more.

PS the site states--

Extraordinary new potential for our world exists in a revolutionary and patented new propulsion technology that may soon enable true interstellar travel – an all-electric reactionless space drive which is technically capable of breaking the light barrier!! And this StarDrive device, in a somewhat simplified form, could actually be utilized now for electric power generation on a commercial scale more efficiently and economically than virtually any other method known!

This means that they have patented the world's first REAL light-speed starship propulsion system , and are in the final stages of developing the simplified version of this propulsion system which could be used to generate power a lot better than any other means known.

BTW, the site also states--

[it must be pointed out that this type of propulsion is the NASA Breakthrough Propulsion Physics Program's very definition of a 'diametric drive', which functions by "creating an asymmetric field of force around itself without expelling reaction mass" and whose top speed would be limited only by relativity. Wikipedia adds this: "It is unknown whether it is even physically possible to create such a field." As you can see, it now surely is . . .]

http://www.stardrivedevice.com/ch11ex.html Gives a better explaination of how the device would work. A lot better than their main page. I would suggest checking it out also.

This means that they have patented the world's first REAL light-speed starship propulsion system , and are in the final stages of developing the simplified version of this propulsion system which could be used to generate power a lot better than any other means known.

I share your enthusiasm but not your optimism. I think they may have all this...on paper. They have not built a single working model, because it would have been a revolution in itself.

They are infact in the stages of developing this device though. Not the propulsion system but a new way of creating energy. It is new technology after all, and takes time to actually make a working product. Considering it is new technology it is going to take some time to perfect. I know you are a very smart person Tormod. And that I should not be doubting you. After reading through the site completely though. I feel they are actually near completion of this new way of creating energy through their device. Im not sure if you actually looked at the site or not, so I dont know if your reply was mearly based on the information I provided.

The reason their page comes forth as spam, is this:

1) They try to sell their book all over the place

2) Their concept is to build a disk-shaped flying object which looks very much like a traditional UFO

3) The site of Mr Tomion also tries to hawk the book

etc.

I don't know what they have or don't have (they don't say how far they have come in the actual production stage, AFAIK) but let me be the first to say that if someone found a way to travel to the stars, hail to them. But it takes a bit more than this to overcome my scepticism.

And - for the future - while it is okay to be enthusiastic, don't expect people to bother to read an entire website before they comment upon something you post. This is a discussion forum, not a dissection forum. B)

"And - for the future - while it is okay to be enthusiastic, don't expect people to bother to read an entire website before they comment upon something you post. This is a discussion forum, not a dissection forum."

You are right about that. I was just wondering if you looked into it at all. Thats all.

From the beginning the site barrages you to buy their book. Most of the pages of the site repeatedly state, "order your copy now". It is one continuous sales pitch about some idea this guy patented that has never actually been built. His claim that such a drive can be built does not debunk Wikipedia's statement, "It is unknown whether it is even physically possible to create such a field." His patent reads like a science fiction novel. If there were anything legit about this you can bet he would not be trying to sell books to fund his research. He would have grants from both NASA and ESA.

After reading through the site completely though.

Based on what I have seen already I would not recommend anyone to read this site completely through. This is no reflection on you however, you seem to be just another that has fallen into his sales pitch. Welcome to Hypography B)

A bit back there was another group who suggested special lasers could be used to allow a ship to quantum tunnel. A friend of mine was invited to look at what they had and perhaps endorse such. He took their offer up, studied what they were willing to let out. He manged to do an article on their idea which rather showed their idea to have flaws in it. About the time we decided to print that article in the Journal of Advanced Theoretical Propulsion the group with that idea vanished from off of the web. It seems a lot of people had discovered the same problems with the idea.

If memory serves me the group you mention based their ideas on Jack Sarfatti's ideas. Jack himself has never worked his ideas out enough to develope anything usable yet. I would suggest its all pure theory at the present with nothing really developed. Even if the theory was correct I would suggest the push on selling books is to find the money to develope such. The government usually will not spend funds on this type of research ever since at least the end of the BPP program at NASA or untill someone can show a theory that could work across the board, so to speak. Private agencies might.

Im not sure if the ideas are based off of the person who you think they are. I did a google search on "StarDrive Engineering" and found that the book actually exists. A 441-page volume that also discusses a new proposal in quantum gravity, and includes detailed Chapters on interstellar space exploration and cosmology. I also found the patent(its very long...) for Tomion; Mark R. the creator of the device at http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%276,404,089%27.WKU.&OS=PN/6,404,089&RS=PN/6,404,089

which is USPTO's Patent Full-Text and Image Database. While reading through the site, Tomion did mention he is trying to find funding to build his device. He also stated that no government programs would give funding for his projects. "All book purchase proceeds are contributed to our advanced energy systems R&D program." Tormod you wrote "Their concept is to build a disk-shaped flying object which looks very much like a traditional UFO." What if most UFO's look like this because they actually use this technology(more advanced of course) and are actually "lifeforms" from other worlds? You have to think of all the possibilities. Physics would not change, no matter where you are in the universe. This would explain the similar design of most disk-shaped flying objects. I watched a show on the discovery channel about these flat circular stones with a hole in the middle found in china with an unknown language of symbols on it. The show was about UFO's partially, and they were speculating that the stones were of alien oregon. They were studied by scientists and found to of been near extreme energy. The stones somehow disappeared and have not been found to date. The design of these stones fits the description of part of the device. For $25.00 I think I will order the book just to check it out. If it isnt good then it wasnt that big of a loss. The book has been recommended to read in a lot of science forums also.

Well, what can I say - the sales pitched worked, then.

Nobody said the book didn't exist - we said their main work right now is to sell the book, possibly to raise funds.

By the way, which lot of science forums recommended the book?

What if most UFO's look like this because they actually use this technology(more advanced of course) and are actually "lifeforms" from other worlds? You have to think of all the possibilities.

I'm speechless.

Tormod, I edited my post to include more information which could explain why the design of such a ship would have to be built as a traditional UFO looks. Physics is universal and doesnt change from any point in space. So the design of such a ship would most likely be universal and look the same because of the properties of physics.