Science Forums

Turning a killer on himself...

Boerseun

Yeah, well - they tried to break into my house the night before last. Palisade fencing, razor wire, alarm tripwires, beams, etc., all came to naught. They bypassed it like nothing, but were stopped by the Trellidoor security gate. I had my doubts about it, but it seems to be about the best thing in my house currently.

At home, fast asleep. I got up at around 03:00, and I'm not sure why. I didn't hear anything that gave me any indication that there was something amiss, although it could have been them fumbling with the door that woke me. However, being up, I decided I might as well get up and read a newspaper on the net or something. And then about fifteen minutes later I heard a fumbling outside and thought it was the dog jumping off the terrace wall. However, only around 5:00 did the dog jump down (she jumps down every morning from the upper terrace to the front door to be in time for breakfast). Seems like the fumbling I heard was the robbers making their getaway.

We only saw the attempted break-in around 07:00, when Charlene left for work. When we walked out we saw the Trellidoor protection plate broken and on the floor, and the lock was wedged out of shape with a lever of some sorts (they must have taken it with, we found no evidence as to what they used).

But no - we were fast asleep. And if stats are anything to go by, if that Trellidoor didn't survive the attack, we probably would be dead right now.

Good grief, man. That's ridiculous. Are you more seriously considering moving now? I mean, what it is that keeps you there? You're worried about not being able to educate your kid very well unless you subject her to religious woo... you're worried about the tribal killings and rapings, and losing your home/farm... All types of worry which you simply don't need. I just wonder what motivates you to stay. It doesn't sound like a very good place to exist, neither physically nor mentally, but I don't know. I have nothing in my own life by which to compare it.

I just wonder what motivates you to stay.

On the one hand, the situation is bad and looks to be getting worse. On the other, leaving would mean a whole lot of new problems.

The thinking goes like this: "I know my way around here. Not just the country, but the language, the people, the local ways of doing things. I fit in here. If I leave, I'll have to start from scratch. I'll know nothing about local politics and personalities. I'll be a stranger, an outsider. There won't be the support network I've grown up with. I might be snubbed, discriminated against, ignored. My life might well be longer if I move, but is it sensible to trade a good life for a long life? Or is it cowardice?"

Tricky conundrum - stay and try to preserve some sort of civilisation in an ocean of lawlessness; or face a flying leap into the unknown.

I'm guessing you'll decide to stay, at least for a while. But remember that the Jews of Germany faced the same dilemma back in the 1930s. :hihi:

As for security: how about setting up a flamethrower behind the Trellidoor? If it does its job, flame the door a bit and claim that the gang were trying to burn their way in and had an accident...

• 4 months later...

Someone in this thread said do away with fear.

I had my tires slashed by some neighborhood hoodlums a while back. My wife and I were scared. We didn't want anything else to happen. I installed a security camera. We were consumed by looking at the footage every night. It seemed as though this consumption was worse than just not knowing what would happen. I took the camera down. It seems like there is a lot less stress now.

I; in a sense; did away with my fear.

However. This case does not compare to the threats of murder.

I think the best suggestion is to get a dog or dogs. I have owned labs, dobermans, and a Lhasa Apso. The Lhasa by far has been the best dog for security. She seems to have a "sense" about what evil may lurk.

I sure hope you can get out of your situation.