Science Forums

Four elements

tarak

The four elements proposed by our ancient philosophers are earth,fire,water and ether.I feel there are only two elements in the form of four ( matter,energy,time and space).Just for the sake of it what should be the basic elements of modern perception???

T.Dhurjati

It seems that we understand that matter and energy are linked and just differnt forms of the same stuff. So mass and energy should be lumped together. Distance would be another of the base elements (It really cannot be reduced into any other concept). Time woulld be the other factor. From these any other info could be derrived. These would be the basic element of anything.

___Mmmmm...don't we call that begging the question in logic. :cup:

___Buckmister Fuller was a lover of 4; witness his extensive work in tetrahedral space. Native Americans have their Four Directions. Then we have to mention the Four Humors, ie. body fluids.. Let;s see... blood, 2 different colors of bile, & something else.

___Since any attempt to classify everything into to some arbitrarily small group relies on the concept of 1, ie. unity, any such arrangement over unity is itself arbitrary. :cup:

The four elements proposed by our ancient philosophers are earth,fire,water and ether.I feel there are only two elements in the form of four ( matter,energy,time and space).Just for the sake of it what should be the basic elements of modern perception???

T.Dhurjati

Tarak,

The four elements (I've heard it as "earth, air, water, fire") map nicely to the four states of matter

(think phase) as {solid, liquid, gas, plasma}. The last state is when you only have nuclei with all electrons

as free electrons and not in any bound state. In fact the Chinese added a fith element "wood". I guess

then you consider living things as a phase (gets kinda' weird).

I think your example interdepend on each other. Matter can be converted to Energy. Time and Space

can be conjoined into SpaceTime. So speaking alchemically (as these ancient philosophers did), the states

of matter I mentioned above would suffice.

Now as to what is the basic elements of modern perception, I guess that would be the force forces of

Nature: EM, Weak, Strong, Gravity. These are the modern expressors by which we view and interact

with the world. I guess that is what you mean. :cup:

Maddog

When you boil everything down, you end up with only one real element: existence. The existence of electrons and other particles in particular places or doing particular things determines just about everything else.

You could say that the idea of elements is just our limited minds trying to make sense of that.

T.Dhurjati

I think there is matter and space. Energy is a group term for the forces of nature, i.e. gravity, electric, etc. so it is not an element. Time is the chronology of events, not a direct element of those events or their matter.