Science Forums

Waves

___The answer is yes. I reference Art Bell in Pahrump Nevada, a radio Ham. He has a loop antenna that is over 2,000 feet long, which is elevated on 70 foot towers. (I don't remember these measures exactly, but I will give a link) This antenna is relatively new, & when he first put it up it exhibited a considerable constant voltage. Of course you can't allow this voltage into your radio equipment & he had to take measures to discharge this voltage.

___More to your point, while he did isolate the voltage from his radio, it persists, and persists at a high potential. He has asked for experts to explain where this voltage is coming from, both on his radio show Coast To Coast AM & their website, http://www.coasttocoastam.com As far as I know, no single explanation is paramount.

___If you want to try an experiment, string out say 300' of thin wire (break apart some old power converter & strip wire from one of the transformer coils) around your yard, & then use a multimeter with the Neg (black) probe in the ground & Pos (red) on your wire to see if you measure a voltage. If you do, record the voltage, then shorten the wire & repeat the measurement. Repeat.

___If you conduct this experiment, we all here would love to see your results. Hope this helps. :cup:

hi turtle !!

can u explain me in detail bout the information that u give me ...... i still dun understan that clearly... i'm sorry for the trouble .....

btw....what do u mean by power converter and multimeter...

I am goin to do this experiment as soon as i understan ur information .. i will give u the result after this.....

___vijay86 said, "btw....what do u mean by power converter and multimeter..."

___By converter I refer to the little transformers you plug in the wall to power radios, tape recorders, etc. A little plastic box that plugs right to the wall & has a low voltage DC cord coming out. You can pick up old ones at Goodwill or such sort of used stuff store.

___Breaking open the plastic box one finds a transformer inside with two coils of coated copper wire. (Now it gets a little harder, so if you can just go buy some similar thin wire)

In order to get the wire you have to free the coils from the metal plates that form the transformer core. While the plates appear solid, each layer is 2 pieces, one fork shaped (which pokes through the coils) & a flat bar shape (which caps the forks) Which a small prying tool, break the glue bond & spread the plates to release them one at a time. The forked plated point first one way through the coils then the other.

___ If you get through that, you now have two nice coils of wire, one heavier guage than the other. For your experiment, the thinnest wire seems the better choice.

___A multimeter is a small electrical testing device available in most electrical or automotive department stores. An inexpensive one may only cost $10- $15 dollars. It will measure AC & DC voltage (you want the DC setting), as well as resistence & low amperage. Typically it has a simple dial marked with different scales;if the needle moves you have current & how far it moves is a measure of amount.

___Hope this helps more than confuses.

Wrap a couple of hundred turns of magnet wire around the circumference of a big frypan to make a large surface area coil (remove and discard frypan). Small diode in series or bridge rectifier(better) , small film capactor in parallel. Output will be sufficient to run an LCD watch. Get the polarity correct.

You are immersed in radio and TV broadcasts, plus 60 Hz hum. It sums to rather more than insignificance. (Using an electrolytic capacitor would be cheating.)

___Good points UncleAl about all the interference. I t would be best to conduct experiment as I described it, away from power lines. At the very least their induced current in your wire may skew your results, at the very worst shock you.

___Having your wire at right angles to transmission lines will minimize the induced current, which brings to mind that every reorientation of your wire is a new experiment. You may also want to note the humidity during the experiment as static charge may also induce a voltage on the wire.

___As I understand Mr. Art Bells antenna woes, the exact cause of the voltage remains a mystery. Do you expect to explain the source/cause of a voltage if you measure one? Do you think Earth's magnetic field is a cause?

___Very interesting area of investigation. :cup:

ok guys.... i'm some sort of getting a clear picture bout it....

but what must i do with both end of the thin wires... .should i and my group members hold it with bare hand (which i'm not dare to do ) or tied it to any insulator.... or ground one end inside earth and hold the another one with a gloved hand ....

p/s my god !!! i and my group member was discusing to conduct this experiment under the power line tower in my area as to find the effect of electromagnetic wave under the powerline.... so i assume it is very dangerous ....to do so right ?

___Last question first, "p/s my god !!! i and my group member was discusing to conduct this experiment under the power line tower in my area as to find the effect of electromagnetic wave under the powerline.... so i assume it is very dangerous ....to do so right ?"

___Yes it can be very dangerous. If you are in the US, the only lines carrying 240Volts are the ones leading to your house from the big can (transformer) on the utility pole. The lines running pole-to-pole which feed the transformers carry 35,000-45,000 Volts. They lead to substations where more transformers receive the transmission line power at 150,000 -300,000+ Volts (AC on all this by the way). Now if your wire is relatively small, the danger of shock is minimal. If you left the wire on a coil or wound a coil as UncleAl suggested, & connected it to the meter, you should be OK to measure under power lines. As always with unknown current, don't hold any bare wires. Use some insulated alligator clips or such a matter.

___As to how to connect the circuit, you can try one big loop (or small coil, which is the big loop wrapped many small times) whith your meter attached one probe to each end of the wire. Another way is as you describe, with one end of the wire free, the other end connected to + (Red) on meter & the - (black) meter electrode stuck in the ground. A good true ground to Earth requires a longer probe into the ground than the meter has, & maybe even changing the depth of the ground probe is an experiment variable.

___Finally, here is a link to a couple pictures of the big antenna in Nevada drawing all that voltage. The guy that built it calls it a "loop' antenna, but he never answered me when I wrote asking exactly how the circuit is wired.

http://www.coasttocoastam.com/gen/page159.html

:cup:

• 2 weeks later...

my group and i have tried this experiment and found a dead end.... we are still interested in this experiment but due to the deadline and exams.... we decided to put a stop at it for a while.... but i am definatly going to resume this experiment after my major exam finishes that is after disember.... anyways thank guys ...ur information helps a lot