Science Forums

Hiya, I'm Rick

Rickscool

I'm Rick, 61 retired and a widower. I have degrees in metallurgy and gemology. I spent many years working in the aerospace industry and then in the field of gemology. I live in Reno Nevada and I'm glad to be here.

Hello, Rick.

Welcome to Hypography.

I'm Pyro :hihi: 62 and still working in the aerospace industry down in Houston.

I passed through Reno several times, on my way to Carson City, for the national whistling contests they used to have there every year.

Hi Rick!

I think we've got a group going here. I'm 62 and always single.

I haven't ever had anything to do with aerospace.

I have a degree in English and a background in journalism and various humanities and social sciences. But I grew up on a farm, which I still have, so that kind of balances my interests.

So anyway, I guess, welcome to the group!

--lemit

Hi Rick, i am not 60-something :-) but at the moment single too... welcome!

But what is a whistling contest pyro? Whistling like doing sound whit expiring/inspiring air? A contest of that?

lemit, I do not remeber if you can delete your posts, but if you can you should see a little square you can check next to the post number and then on the bottom right you have the option delete from a drop down menu. I can do it for you if you want...

...But what is a whistling contest pyro? Whistling like doing sound whit expiring/inspiring air? A contest of that?...
sanctus,

yes! A contest to see who can whistle the best music. Like playing a flute -- without the flute! There used to be an annual contest in Carson City, Nevada, where folks would come from as far away as Hawaii, Canada, Mexico and England and would compete in several catagories: Jazz, Classical, Ballad, Duets, etc. My first year there (1975) I took first place in Jazz and Ballad. But a Canadian took two other first place trophies AND overall Grand Champion.

this is NOT bird whistling

I'm Rick, 61 retired and a widower. I have degrees in metallurgy and gemology. I spent many years working in the aerospace industry and then in the field of gemology. I live in Reno Nevada and I'm glad to be here.

Hi Rick,

Welcome to Hypography.... :hihi:

I am only 53+ (be 54 in a couple of months), like Pyro am still in Aerospace/Defense industry

(now working in Akron, OH). I have driven through Reno, NV on my way to Tahoe to go

Skiing. ;) <need a skiing smiley here> I have even raced Intramural. I have many hobbies,

one being Genealogy.

See ya' around the Funway... :sherlock:

maddog

Hi Turtle, I too, am a rockhound and gemologist. Since I live in gold country I spend a lot of time gold dredging. In the 70's I owned and operated 3 tourmaline mines (A weekend endevour) You will be glad to know they have reopened The Mustang Ranch and all the others are still open LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the Welcome. I hope you enjoyed visiting our area here in Reno, did you get a chance to do any of the tourist stuff, like Lake Tahoe, Virginia City, etc ? And do you still whistle competitively?
I drove almost halfway around Lake Tahoe. Starting from the 3 o'clock position where the road from Carson City joins in -- to about the 10 o'clock position, where I ate at a fantastic ski resort restuarant. That's about all the tourist stuff I did.

No, I don't whistle in competition any more, though I do perform on rare occassions. I whistled a song that I had written, at my wedding 6 years ago. I did a few blues riffs with a guitarist at a wine bar last week.

• 2 weeks later...

Hola Rick, :)

I was corrupted... er convinced by Pyrotex to join Hypography a year or two ago and have enjoyed it tremendously. I hope you will too.

;)

In case you ever come through Texas I would highly recommend a detour north of I-10 near Austin, to a little town called Smithville where you will find a spectacular store simply called "The Rock Shop". Lorene who runs the place has us all beat in seniority, and her knowledge is vast on both geology and geomancy. She's also an astute observer of human behavior as well. A "short" visit for me is usually about 3 hours.

Anyway her store is as good as many museums in a 300 mile radius, and her prices are a quarter of any in the same zone.