OK, how do i open a command Promp?

For Windows XP...

1) left-click START

2) left-click ALL PROGRAMS

3) left-click ACCESSORIES

4) left-click COMMAND PROMPT

Then to ping, enter the following command and then press [Enter]

ping http://www.hypography.com

OpenMind5: And when I ping a site, i get that sites Ip address...

Yes, you should get the site's IP address and some other info, such as round-trip time and TTL (time to live, which indicates how many hops were involved).

As far what DoS (Denial of Service) is, it is any act that prevents users who should be able to access a service from being able to access that service. Most of the time this is carried out by flooding a server...throwing so many packets at it that the server bogs down and/or crashes under the load. DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) is the same, except that the attack does not come from a single computer, but from multiple computers. With packets coming from multiple sources, it's easier to overload a server.

Uhm, why close ping for a while. You said above that if the server is configured appropriately, "Ping is not harmful at all".

ok, they will just drop all ICMP packets, which will close ping temporarily so DDOS wont go through, or they will just monitor it, I'm sure that people can compete with googled dedicated lines :cup: (it all depends on how complex the IDS is, and i bet Googles IDS is very complex)

Who would use their own IP address to launch a DoS attack? How silly would that be? To flood a server you don't need a response so you can use any source IP address you want. Ever hear of spoofing? Ever hear of FTP bounce scans? There are many methods blackhats can use to cover their tracks.

Script Kiddies, because no cracker in their right mind will attack google. Very silly, but people do crazy things, for example my friend has recomended people to test the trojans out and try to attack 127.0.0.1, and they have done that... Soofing, ever heard of nemesis, great util if you know how to use it, but it is still possible to trace you through logs... FTP bounce scanning takes advantage of a vulnerability of the FTP protocol itself. It requires support for proxy ftp connections. This bouncing through an FTP server hides where the attacker comes from. This technique is similar to IP spoofing in that it hides where the attacker comes from. For example, evil.com establishes a control connection to the FTP server-PI (protocol interpreter) of target.com . Then request that the server-PI initiate an active server-DTP (data transfer process) to send a file anywhere on the Internet.

A port scanner can exploit this to scan TCP ports from a proxy ftp server. Thus you could connect to an FTP server behind a firewall, and then scan ports that are more likely to be blocked (e.g., port 139). If the ftp server allows reading from and writing to a directory (such as /incoming), you can send arbitrary data to ports that you do find open. Our technique is to use the PORT command (of FTP) to declare that our passive user-DTP is listening on the target box at a certain port number. Then we try to LIST the current directory, and the result is sent over the server-DTP channel. If our target host is listening on the specified port, the transfer will be successful (generating a 150 and a 226 response). Otherwise we will get "425 Can't build data connection: Connection refused." Then we issue another PORT command to try the next port on the target host. The advantages to this approach are obvious (harder to trace, potential to bypass firewalls). The main disadvantages are that it is slow, and that some FTP server implementations have finally disabled the proxy "feature".

So Hypography and most other web sites have the bandwidth of Google? Nope.

No, and I have never said that either, no other server probably has the bandwidth of google, but chances are that the server that hosts hypography has a 55megabit OC3 line coming into it, actually chances are that it has a few OC3 lines coming into it to back up if one goes down, you need about 5 DSL lines to equate to T1 Down, a a whole lot more to get the up, and that isnt even close to OC3. No, DDoS is very much possible but pretty unlikely...

Even huge bandwidth doesn't save a company from a DDoS attack. Even with the massive bandwidth Microsoft has they were successfully taken down by a DDoS attack less than 2 years ago: and not just once, but twice in a single month.

um, they were pinged by how many systems? No DDos is definately a strong attack one that takes time and planning, as well as a trojan and a little imagination. DDOS can and will be used in the future, but an attack is only as sucessful as how unprepared the system is for it...

ping www.hypography.com

PING www.hypography.com (65.110.71.143) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from www.hypography.info (65.110.71.143): icmp_seq=1 ttl=111 time=176 ms

64 bytes from www.freewebsurveys.com (65.110.71.143): icmp_seq=2 ttl=111 time=210 ms

64 bytes from www.guldvog.com (65.110.71.143): icmp_seq=3 ttl=111 time=104 ms

64 bytes from hypography.info (65.110.71.143): icmp_seq=4 ttl=111 time=97.1 ms

--- www.hypography.com ping statistics ---

4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 2999ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 97.190/147.095/210.578/47.943 ms

Ok, i pinged a spacific web site and the following was given to me:

Request Timed out

Request Timed out

Request Timed out

Request Timed out

Ping Statistics for (Ip Address)

PAckets: Packets sent: 4 Packets revieved: 0 Packets Lost: 4 (100% loss)

What does this mean? That the Ip I asked for is available but not any other site info?

Op5

Request Timed out

Request Timed out

Request Timed out

Request Timed out

What does this mean? That the Ip I asked for is available but not any other site info?

Op5

Telemad: Probably that the site doesn't acknowledge pings! Probably for security reasons! :-)

Request Timed out

Request Timed out

Request Timed out

Request Timed out

Op5

What site?

Telemad: Probably that the site doesn't acknowledge pings! Probably for security reasons! :-)

1) The fact that you didn't receive an error message indicates that the site does exist. To see this, try pinging some made up site that does not exist and see that you will get an error message.

ping http://www.aoiaduhcauirgbiuayrgciauyg.com

You'll get an error stating that the host http://www.aoiaduhcauirgbiuayrgciauyg.com couldn't be found.

2) If a valid host does not acknowledge pings you will NOT get an error message, but instead will get timeouts on all packets - they will all be reported as lost. Just as happened to you.

So, let me repeat...

Thank You telemad...But now that I have an Ip address...what can I do?

You could use it as an address for a variety of available network tools. Perhaps you could help us by telling us what it is you are trying to do. BTW, what site was that again?

Well I am just trying to find out what I can do...As i mentioned before...my friend constant glotes he is a hacker. So i kinda wanna catch him in a lie and see how much he really knows.

B.T.W.: Can other people obtain my Ip address just as easy? Does MY computer have an IP?

Op5

Well I am just trying to find out what I can do...As i mentioned before...my friend constant glotes he is a hacker. So i kinda wanna catch him in a lie and see how much he really knows.

B.T.W.: Can other people obtain my Ip address just as easy? Does MY computer have an IP?

Op5

BUt your question is like asking, "What can I do with steel?" Obviously you can do thousands of things with steel. The question is so broad as to be impractical to answer in a forum like this.

At an extreme it may be possible to access and remote control a machine with it's IP address if sufficient security policies are not in place. As a network administrator I would routinely do this to fix problems on computers on my network from the convenience of my desk. It could be possible as well to secretly read files on the target machine undetected.

At the same time I am reluctant to share any of that knowledge where it may enable someone to use it maliciously. A level of trust is required for my own peace of mind. Twice for instance, you have been asked specifically what site you were trying to obtain the address of and twice you elected not to reply. That is not particularly the reply one would expect from someone claiming an innocent inquiry for the sake of knowledge.

Yes, your computer has an IP address as does all computers connected to a network. If you are on dial-up your ISP assigns you computer an IP address each time you connect. If you are on broadband you are likely connected through some type of router. Usually the router gets a public address visible to the web and your computer gets a non-routable address. The router perform a Network Address Translation to protect you from people like your friend.

Here's an article at HowStuffWorks that should help you learn more.

Whatever C1ay said, i think he put it very well, remind me to add to your rep if you dont see it within a few days please there C1ay :)

and OP5, lets first establish a few terms and their meanings:

As defined by Wikipedia, "Hacker is a term used to describe different types of computer experts. It is also sometimes extended to mean any kind of expert, especially with the connotation of having particularly detailed knowledge or of cleverly circumventing limits. The meaning of the term, when used in a computer context, has changed somewhat over the decades since it first came into use, as it has been given additional and clashing meanings by new users of the word.

Currently, "hacker" is used in two main ways, one complimentary and one pejorative. It can be used in the computing community to describe a particularly brilliant programmer or technical expert (for example: "Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, is a genius hacker."). This is said by some to be the "correct" usage of the word (see the Jargon File definition below). In popular usage and in the media, however, it generally describes computer intruders or criminals. "Hacker" can be seen as a shibboleth, identifying those who use it in its positive sense as members of the computing community.

As a result of this conflict, the term is the subject of some controversy. The pejorative usage is disliked by many who identify themselves as hackers, and who do not like their label used negatively. Many users of the positive form say the "intruder" meaning should be deprecated, and advocate terms such as "cracker" or "black-hat" to replace it. Others prefer to follow common popular usage, arguing that the positive form is confusing and never likely to become widespread.

A possible middle ground position observes that "hacking" describes a collection of skills, and that these skills are utilized by hackers of both descriptions, though for differing reasons. The companion situation which illustrates this is the skills involved in locksmithing, specifically picking locks, which — aside from its being a skill with a fairly high tropism to 'classic' hacking — is a skill which can be used for good or evil."

And I think that Wiki is quite correct. So in the comuter world, hackers are good, and in order to be called a hacker, or dare to call yourself that, you have to be really good. (and have guts to stare people in the eyes ant tell them that you are a hacker hoping that they wouldnt say something like "dude i've been programming for 20 years, wrote 55 patches for Linux kernels over the years, 15 drivers, mods for emacs and helped out with the creation of enlightenment 17, and still dont consider myself a hacker"(which probably wont happen, but who knows))

Ok, that to the side (and from here on i'll be using cracker), i know people that prowdly call themselves crackers, and you have to understand that there are 3 levels of crackers (levels, types, depending on who you talk to there could be more, depends on how deep they want to go into, but for here and now 3)

Top level are the 10-15 crackers in the world, contractors pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for their work, theres maybe 1 working for the CIA, FBI and KGB, these guys can get into any system, anywhere, even without the internet connection, these guys can get the information they are looking for and you will never ever be able to track them. (and yes it is possible to get the information from a computer without any kind of ppp/network connection of course never touching the computer, otherwise thats cheating)

Mid but sadly still not the most common are junior crackers for whom, cracking is a hobby that they sometimes enjoy or use to make money, they know how to get into not-so secured places, they get their list of volnurabilities from their general cracking networks, thus yes, if there is something misconfigured or unpatched, watch out, because they will see and exploit it, they know what to do, they can code well enough to write basic scripts for whatever (but they program well enough to write anything they want to). These would be dome sysadmins, admnistrators, security guys, mainly linux users... These people will tell some of their closer friends about new volnurabilities they have found, and share the war stories (but thats with really close friends). Also those people are the ones that write the majority of cracking tools and scrits.

Our low, and probably the most common crackers (the joe-the-cracker people B)) are script kiddies. These are the people that would run IIS cracking tools against Apache, and test your Linux box for all possible windows volnurabilities. as wiki defines; "derogatory term for people who use scripts and programs developed by others for the purpose of compromising computer accounts and files, and for launching attacks on whole computer systems (see DoS). In general, they do not have the ability to write said programs on their own. Such programs have included WinNuke applications and Back Orifice.

Script kiddies, instead of attacking an individual system, often scan thousands of computers looking for vulnerable targets before initiating an attack.

The term is also often used as a derogatory moniker for individuals who do not contribute to the development of new security-related programs, especially exploits, but rather benefit from the work of others."

Not saying anything bad, but those are the people who after getting a sucess hit will go and tell their friends the amazing stories about how they made a Windows 98 box reboot last week (sorry if you dont get the sorcasm, win98 was one of the least secure OSes that Microsoft ever came out with, but it was still a lot more stable than Win Me)

all computers do, you can get ip scrambler programs i think...i know AOL does that automatically. don't worry about it too much though, most hackers focus on bigger hits than a personal computer.
a scrambled IP does not make your computer involnurable tho B)

all computers do, you can get ip scrambler programs i think...i know AOL does that automatically. don't worry about it too much though, most hackers focus on bigger hits than a personal computer.

Not always. My home computer was successfully 'hacked' about a year ago ... I had a dial-up connection (no static-IP DSL or cable modem) to AOL. Script kiddies just want to be able to compromise a system, they don't care if it's just little old Telemad.