Science Forums

Godmen,demigods,illusion and chemistry

tarak

It has been a practice by several religious preachers/gurus/godmen to do some things which go against laws of science.They materialize objects of divinity (cold coins, photos,chocolates) from thin air.One godmen in my country produces sacred ashes and flowers by the wisk of his fingers.Preachers on faith and religious channels

regularly do certain unnatural things.

Coming to the chemistry of this, a beliver alchemist friend of mine says that since body is made of atoms and further underneath upto quarks and blahblah the godmen are channelizing their spiritual enrgies so that the carbon,Hydrogen,Oxygen,etc... atoms in our body are changing into Au,Ag ,K etc...by reorientation of all those elementary particles and all that streamlining of powerful laser beam like disciplined godmen's thoughts.This helps him materialize things and this is possible says my friend.

So If Radioactive elements like U,Plutonium can come back to Lead.is it possible for atoms like H to go upto Cor Au???? I know my friend got all the concepts wrong,but still i have put his predicament here.

Tarak Dhurjati

They treat incurable diseases and give some magical potions.

I have never seen anything of the sort that was not debunked as slight of hand or worked with a rigged apparatus.

As for the alchemy, you are trying to manipulate theoretical particles. We do not really understand how they work or even how many there are (We have some we have just made up to have the math work). There have been no studies that I am aware of that equate mental power to that of a high powered lazer. Perhaps the power of a potato, maybe we could run one of those potato clocks off our mind, but thats probably about it. I really do not see it able to bend the fabric of matter.

Mystics are baffled by the obvious yet possess a complete understanding of the nonexistent. Moses came down with God's Own Word, but curiously omitted telling the Bronze Age Israelites how to smelt iron. Muslims have personal hygiene that would make a Medieval European peasant blanch,

http://www.restrooms.org/page03ar.html

5000+ years of Indian civilization plus 36 crores of Hindu gods did not produce the flush toilet. Slight of hand suitable to Penn & Teller and the Amazing Randy is a bad joke compared to whole ciites without sewers. Did you ever encounter a priest who did not have his hand out for alms? Superhuman capability and abject poverty do not coexist.

They lied to you. Grow up.

Superhuman capability and abject poverty do not coexist.

They lied to you. Grow up.

Yet, somehow, absurd wealth and abject povery coexist. High levels of technology and abject poverty coexist. "Smart folk" and abject poverty coexist.

Don't blast religion for not doing something when we can't do it without religion either.

just thinking about somebody manifesting flowers from the flick of their wrist is just...absurd.

i've seen some amazing illusions in my time, ones i may never ever understand. but they always have, and always will remain illusions.

even if a person could change his atoms, how could you peice them together perfectly with your mind telepathically? if changing atoms itself was possible, you would probably just create some mangled form of nothing so thin in atom structure you probably couldn't even see it.

oh man, i'm laughing right now :) thinking about how religion on tv had to resort to professional magicians. :)

yes, I really wish I could poof a game boy.

As to scientifically altering elements, it's called fission and fusion. Theoretically, you can do it with pretty much any element(s) given sufficient energy and effort.

Basically according to the current models atoms are composed of smaller particles.

Suggested research(Google searches):

Nuclear fission

Nuclear fusion

Atomic structure

What? Wouldn't you like to be able to just cause gameboys to appear in the air, with or without a puff of smoke? Think of the money you could make a pawnshops.:)

"People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something.

You must present something of equal value to gain something.

That is the principle of equivalent trade in alchemy."

Death is the ultimate biological and chemical jouney. Your corpse gets to be the home to a multitude of new critters that gracefully recycle your no-longer needed molecules. Even if you decide to be cremated you get to become one with the concept of combustion. After that you are either a paperweight or a slightly greener patch of grass.