Science Forums

United Nations Declaration on Human Cloning

C1ay

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I think they should allow us to clone you Buffy, at least a couple hunderd times. That way we could hand one copy out to all the single fellows here at Hypography. I think that would create one very long waiting line.

agreed

however your point is moot.

you can clone the body but the mind is a whole other story. i'd be far more interested in the mind than the body in most cases of cloning.

i'm not sure of the specific term relating to multiple parentage, but polygenesis of a creature from a few parents at once.. i wonder if that could be sorted out in the lab.

again you'd only produce a body with the combined potential of the genetics used to create it and not necessarily an amalgamation of those peoples personalities.

you guys are loosing the context of this article. Stop talking about what if we could make a perfect copy... the mind... memory and fearless armies.

The UN has to give some sort of opinion against or with cloning. the problem most advanced countries pose is that the UN gave an ambigous point of view against cloning. I think cloning a human being is completely uselss, by the other hand cloning organs, gene therapy and all other forms of clinical use with the human genome should be permitted.

I found it facinating to read through the list of votes for, against, abstaining and absent. Like it was mentioned before, the countries that voted for it tend to have higher technological capabilities as well as greater measures towards ensuring human rights, and greater civil liberties. That is it would seem that generally the countries that I might label as "enlightened" were against the resolution, and generally the countries that I might label as "oppressive" were for the resolution.

Makes me want to live in Canada more.

Personally I wouldn't care if I was cloned. There is no greater danger to me or my liberties or even "dignity" with a younger twin of myself walking about. It should be noted that at current we are incapable of geneticially identical cloning our manipulations are not that fine.

Like identical twins, my clone would have a slightly different genetic code and would have a seperate, unique set of finger prints. Despite resembling myself greatly.

I would have to say that should my voice have been present I would have voted against the resolution myself. I must say I am all for genetic tampering for beneficial (constructive) reasons. As weapon research or similar, not so.

I wish the world would just get over being afraid of their own shadows. Genetic engineering is the new frontier of exploring what it means to be a living being. Some day we will shape ourselves according to our needs, rather than be shaped according to our predications.