Science Forums

Social networks in Science

angelacarritt

Hello everyone,

I'm not a scientist but I'm a librarian. I am currently researching the use of social networks, particularly in scholary environments and so I'm interested in looking around this social network to find out how scientists might be using it.

If anyone has any thoughts on the use of social networks for research, I'd love to hear from you.

Sorry not to be a scientist.

Angela

Welcome and you do not have to be sorry for not being a scientist, we are also a popular science forum not only hardcore science :-).

Acutally i do not know what the precentage of members here are what is called "real scientists"...

To join here all is required is an interest in science and in discussions ;-)

I am currently researching the use of social networks... to find out how scientists might be using it...

"research: attempt to find out in a systematically and scientific manner;"

"A scientist, in the broadest sense, refers to any person that engages in a systematic activity to acquire knowledge "

Methinks you just might qualify. :shrug:

hi :phones:

Hey! You took my "avatar" away ...just in time. :)

I've been using that "books" avatar for over a year now, but just a few days ago I finally got a picture uploaded--and retired the "books." Thanks for checking them out. :(

They are well-worn, still warm, and they served me well--enjoy!

===

As for "being" a scientist...

"Methinks you just might qualify." -Gahd

...especially if you have an MLS; I mean, they do use the word "science" in the degree!

I spent over 20 years in a research library, and it's been driving me crazy that something to utilize the networking (and search) power of the internet hasn't yet developed to throw researchers together--creating some emergent synergies. To me, libraries have been missing so many opportunities to cross-reference their information--from their collections to their metadata and even content. & The same thing should be true for the internet in general. Libraries even have control over their information, so it should be easier....

Well, I'm starting to rant....

On the idea that "knowledge is power," I've been thinking that it'd sure be helpful if all the members of a group could keep up-to-date on newly discovered resources and relevant information. Each member of the group should be able to link any new data to the rest of the group--for their perusal--kinda like homework. Then they'd always be "on the same page" philosophically. Twitter seems as if it could function in this way--receiving links to updates and then sending the links to ones computer (email?) to be opened later--for study.

These science fora are close to the mark, in some ways, but they're too unfocused--like artificial intelligence with ADD. There needs to be some sort of metaforum to filter the focus.

hmmm... If you could combine the composition-quality filters with the search filters, that might....

...whatever happens, I hope that these science fora become integral in the evolution of some sort of intelligent WEB.

I'm working with a group advocating for science to better inform our policy politics. ...or words to that effect.

It's become apparent to me that IT and communications are the missing keys to more effective (and more democratic) decisions, implementation, and active management.

Good luck with your ventures! Keep us posted... or come and pick our collective brain....

p.s. Happy National Librarian Day --April 16th

I'm not a librarian, and I'm not a scientist, but I did spend 25 years working in or with libraries, 18 of those years in a state land grant university with a science focus. I'm retired now with not really enough time to do all the posting I do on Hypography, but I do enjoy this form of social networking.

I'd love to hear what you've done with social networking. I'm interested in several areas of social policy that have been well covered by other people, so I'm concentrating on agricultural policy, land use, and rural culture with a view to sustainability in all those respects.

I've become persuaded that networking is the way to accomplish things. Again, I'd love to hear what you've done so far. I think we might be able to do some seemingly magical things.

--lemit