Science Forums

All metaphysical/paranormal phenomena explained

soulman

Ok, I'll bite, why would an otherwise intelligent skeptical man suddenly become a believer in the supernatural?
Plausible answers:

He had a major stroke in his frontal lobe.

He over-dosed on LSD and is still suffering flashbacks.

He learned he could make more money by publishing paranormal nonsense for gullible maroons with more pocket change than sense.

He was never a "skeptical" man--that's just his cover story to give himself more credibility.

He doesn't exist--he's a fabrication of the Paranormal Publishing Industry, who know that gullible maroons never check the sources.

To all you Doubting Thomases:

I was a professional skeptic -- a daily newspaper editor in Southern California for 25 years -- when an incident of spontaneous two-way mental telepathy occured during a dangerous big wave bodysurfing event, which dispelled my skepticism long enough for me to wonder: if this (mental telepathy) is true, what about all those other "metaphysical" and "paranormal" events reported?

So I began a 20-year study of metaphysics, paranormal or psychic awareness in every class or seminar I could find, and there were lots of them in SoCal. I began to experience other paranormal abilities, including direct interaction with my spiritual guides, seeing my own doppelganger (spiritual body), psychometry, remarkable synchronicity, plant communication, visions, learning meditation, and eventually direct channeling of material which went into my books.

I realized that all the metaphysical/paranormal/psychic events I experienced were some of the spiritual traits and characteristics of humanity.

Where do you think these traits come from? When 67 percent of the U.S. population reported experiencing ESP, do you think they are all delusional? Do you think the millions of reports of near-death experiences are all delusional? Do you think denial of these millions of reported experiences is rational?

If you haven't studied and experienced the metaphysical field, as I have for more than a quarter-century, how can you deny it? That simply isn't good science,.

Soulman

originally posted by Soulman

If you haven't studied and experienced the metaphysical field, as I have for more than a quarter-century, how can you deny it? That simply isn't good science,.

good science??

from dictionary.com

1. a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.

2. systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.

3. any of the branches of natural or physical science.

4. systematized knowledge in general.

5. knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.

6. a particular branch of knowledge.

7. skill, esp. reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency.

Soulman, I do not doubt that you have experienced something, but you need to look at the inner workings of the brain. The mind/brain is an amazing thing, and can produce all sorts of mental experiences. But to claim that external influences such as spirit guides are leading you, cannot not be backed up scientifically. If what you are doing is helping you to be at peace with yourself, then fine. But you cannot expect others to blindly believe in something, where no evidence is possible:)

Pamela:

I don't expect anyone to blindly follow what I have stated, nor have I ever suggested that.

What might occur, however, is a little healthy curiosity based on the knowledge that you don't know everything, and there may be a few items out there worthy of study and experiment.

And, for the record, I have never stated that spiritual guides are leading me. I simply said I had communication with them. (Just like Socrates, Plato, et al).

Soulman

I don't expect anyone to blindly follow what I have stated, nor have I ever suggested that.

I guess "acceptance" would have been a better word.

What might occur, however, is a little healthy curiosity based on the knowledge that you don't know everything, and there may be a few items out there worthy of study and experiment.

Have you applied any science to this?

You could formulate a theory on electromagnetism and the brain that may give some sort of creedence or at least reasoning behind what you are saying.

you could start with this basic concept

from Wiki

In the theory, electromagnetism is the basis for optical phenomena, as discovered by James Clerk Maxwell while he studied electromagnetic waves. Light, being an electromagnetic wave, has properties that can be explained through Maxwell's equations, such as reflection, refraction, diffraction, interference and others.

Electromagnetism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

then add this

from Sciseek

Primarily we have to define which type of optical illusion we are referring to as there are three; literal optical illusions, physiological illusions and cognitive illusions. The latter plays on unconscious inferences and assumptions about the world that are embedded into our minds and therefore can dictate our perception because of what we expect to see.

Physiological illusions are typified by exposure to excessive stimuli such as bright lights or movement. These cause an imbalance in the viewer’s visual channels, resulting in altered observation. Finally, literal optical illusions create images that differ from the actual objects and components that create them.

http://blog.sciseek.com/2009/01/28/optical-illusions-are-they-of-scientific-value-or-just-ephemeral-entertainment/

then cross reference with this

Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) has helped to improve a variety of different brain disorders including schizophrenia, migraines and major depression. The general idea behind this technology is using an electromagnetic pulse that passes through a person’s skull and this then generates an electric current inside their brain. By changing the frequency of the pulse, researchers can either increase or decrease activity selectively in many brain areas.

The main problem with current TMS is that it can penetrate only around 1-2 cm into the brain. So it is basically limited to activating and deactivating brain regions in close proximity to the skull (the neocortex). Researchers have created a new deep transcranial magnetic stimulation device that is able to reach further into the brain. This device can inhibit or excite more areas that were previously out of reach. It has the ability to reach almost any brain area. Many brain disorders often have areas that are either overactive or underactive when compared to a normal brain. So this technology may eventually allow scientists to normalize acitivty in disturbed brain regions by non-invasive stimulation. TMS can be performed on a person while they are wide awake and fully

http://blog.sciseek.com/2008/07/29/electromagnetism-for-brain-disorders/

Just something to consider:)

Pamela:

Thank you for your suggestions, but I won't be following them. I have accrued enough evidence, from enough reputable sources worldwide, to attest to the fact that there are some mighty strange things happening on the planet, and mainstream science is in denial about them.

I am not a scientist, nor do I pretend to be one. I am an experienced (25 year) investigative journalist with enough sense to know that when 67 percent of the adult U.S. population say they've experienced paranormal or metaphysical events, there must be something to it. To declare 200 million people delusional is the alternative, and we know that is not true.

I can cite you another dozen polls on other various metaphysical subjects if you wish, which portray in stark terms that a wide swath of humanity is experiencing events which science (led by the nose by The "Amazing" Randi) ignores "because science knows it's not true." (Just like the meteorite debunkers of the 19th century.)

Soulman

soulman,

good for you. You've read a lot of books. You can explain the paranormal.

But what can you DO with it? Now that you fully understand it, can you read someone's mind? Foretell the future? Tell me what I'm wearing right now? Can you levitate yourself or other objects?

Does this amazing understanding of the paranormal give you even ONE ability or skill or talent that you didn't have before?

I've read quite a few books on Physics and Math. Now I can do incredible things, things that most folks can't do. I can predict the behavior of a physical system ("foretelling the future", as it were). I can model physical systems with computer software. And I get paid rather well to do these things, not just to entertain others with how much I know.

So, soulman. What can you do with this "knowledge" of yours? What's it good for?

What's it worth? How big a salary does the average "paranormalist" pull down these days?

There are a number of things I could do with the knowledge I have accrued, aside from writing books.

I could easily go on the lecture/seminar circuit (which I have done before) for there is great demand for this knowledge now in this time of awakening. But I don't feel like travelling, and writing is my passion, so I will stick with it for the meantime. I've got one more book in production.

I do have one invitation pending for a seminar in Dublin, Ireland, this summer which I may do, however, since my family is from Ireland.

Soulman

There are a number of things I could do with the knowledge I have accrued, aside from writing books.

I could easily go on the lecture/seminar circuit (which I have done before) for there is great demand for this knowledge now in this time of awakening. But I don't feel like travelling, and writing is my passion, so I will stick with it for the meantime. I've got one more book in production.

I do have one invitation pending for a seminar in Dublin, Ireland, this summer which I may do, however, since my family is from Ireland.

Soulman

I think the question was more about what you can do with the information to affect the real world more than it was about using your ideas and opinions to get people to pay you money to tell them what they want to hear.

There are a number of things I could do with the knowledge I have accrued, aside from writing books.... lecture/seminar circuit ...invitation pending for a seminar in Dublin...
No. No. No. No.

I said "what can you DO with it"?

Telling folks about it, writing about it, discussing it, thinking about it -- ALL DON'T COUNT.

What does this knowledge enable you to DO -- in the sense of giving you some demonstratable power, utility or ability?

Folks don't pay me big bucks to "discuss" engineering or "lecture" on engineering. They pay me to DO engineering. I build stuff. Stuff that other folks cannot build. Cannot understand.

What does all this paranormal "knowledge" enable you to do?

Pyro:

If you expect me to say, "levitate over tall buildings in a single bound," you will be disappointed. But I suspect you guys just don't get it. It's not what you can "do" with this knowledge that it is important. Learning about your spiritual traits and abilities is just an introduction to the real you.

What is important is that you get to know your own internal spiritual guidance system and how it operates, which most people are totally out of touch with. As you get to know this spiritual side of yourself, you grow in finally understanding who you really are. You will develop greater spiritual talents as you grow with them, but that is just the learning process, not the goal.

I do have enhanced spiritual perception, which has greatly enhanced my intuition and internal guidance system. This is guiding me into the future with the assurance that I will be able to cope with the coming chaos (the economic landslide is only half-way down the hill, and is accelerating) that we have already begun experiencing. (That is one reason why I live in southern Mexico).

There is a great demand for this knowledge, evidenced by the 60 million adult Americans who profess no religion. Most of these people are still trying to make sense out of life, through a variety of alternative spiritual paths, and I provide an explanation no one else has provided to date.

I don't expect to ever "get rich" from my chosen path in life, but I'm confident I'm on the right path.

Soulman

No. No. No. No.

I said "what can you DO with it"?

Telling folks about it, writing about it, discussing it, thinking about it -- ALL DON'T COUNT.

What does this knowledge enable you to DO -- in the sense of giving you some demonstratable power, utility or ability?

Folks don't pay me big bucks to "discuss" engineering or "lecture" on engineering. They pay me to DO engineering. I build stuff. Stuff that other folks cannot build. Cannot understand.

What does all this paranormal "knowledge" enable you to do?

It enables you to work in the field of metaphysics silly. Physicist and mathematicians like you’re self work with the physical laws.

This person works in metaphysics. You cannot expect to gauge its worth the same way. To me personally it deals in the subconscious mind. UFO’s, Channeling , spirits, ghost, God etc. all represent some type of yet unformed, undeveloped primordial need to expand the known world. It is the very same impulse that gave us science.

Science has obviously accomplished this task but I would state that its beginning’s started with the simple thought that there is more to heaven and earth that can be verified by recorded data. A sense of wonder and awe to be specific.

I still have a sneaking suspicion the most advanced under exploited aspect of a human nature is the rational unassuming metaphysicians within us all that builds the foundations of our shared reality..

The day will come when, after harnessing space, the winds, the tides and gravitation, we shall harness for God the energies of love. And on that day, for the second time in the history of the world, we shall have discovered fire.

Pierre Teilhard de Chardin:

... There is a great demand for this knowledge, evidenced by the 60 million adult Americans who profess no religion. Most of these people are still trying to make sense out of life, through a variety of alternative spiritual paths, and I provide an explanation no one else has provided to date. ...

Soulman

:shrug: >> You've read all these then? You know; like Sarah Palin reads all the magazines? :) find your spiritual path - Google Book Search

Take all the fools out of this world and there wouldn't be any fun living in it, or profit. ~ Josh Billings