Science Forums

Monitor blinking problem

hello guys,

I bought a new PC two days ago along with Gforce 9600 GSO 384 mb DDR3 and I am running windows Vista. My problem is that when vista ask for permission to open any program my monitor blinks for a second otherwise the system is performing good. Is it the problem with the old CRT monitor or some kind of driver problem. My system configuration is written below.

Intel dual core 2.5 Ghrz

DG35Ec Intel mother board

Gforce 9600 GSO 384mD ddr3

windows Vista Home premium Sp1

thanks and waiting for your help.

My problem is that when vista ask for permission to open any program my monitor blinks for a second otherwise the system is performing good.

If it is only happening when Vista is explicitly asking permission to run a program, then this is a "feature" of Vista that is protecting you from running programs it feels might be dangerous to the health of your system (i.e. might be a virus or otherwise cause an unrecoverable change to your system). Unfortunately, Vista thinks that this is true of an enormous number of programs, especially those that were not built specifically for Vista....

Many folks around here of course would tell you to switch to Linux, but supposedly Windows 7 will be less annoying....so just get used to it for now....

A sudden bold and unexpected question doth many times surprise a man and lay him open, :)

Buffy

Thansk buffy,

Better turn off this annoying future. I think I can properly care my system. One think I also want to clear that my monitor also turn black for some nano seconds is it also normal.

I checked my friend's system and it is behaving the same way. I wonder why Microsoft make these kind of confusing futures. I was just ready to take my computer to the vendor.

If it is only happening when Vista is explicitly asking permission to run a program, then this is a "feature" of Vista that is protecting you from running programs it feels might be dangerous to the health of your system (i.e. might be a virus or otherwise cause an unrecoverable change to your system). Unfortunately, Vista thinks that this is true of an enormous number of programs, especially those that were not built specifically for Vista....

Many folks around here of course would tell you to switch to Linux, but supposedly Windows 7 will be less annoying....so just get used to it for now....

A sudden bold and unexpected question doth many times surprise a man and lay him open, :)

Buffy

I am running vista 64x w/ SP2 currently because I like DirectX 10. Before I installed Vista on my computer I read up on the UAC (the user access control, thats the thing that asks you if your sure you want to do something). I couldnt configure it, so I shut it off. Vista is much less annoying now. Use google to find the exact instructions. If you know what you are doing you could also change the local security policies.

I wonder why Microsoft make these kind of confusing futures.

It's really just one of those new features of Vista, "black screen" i saw it in the brochure, microsoft said it was "the most cutting edge feature of modern day Microsoft technology, if you can spare the gigaflops", they claimed that this new black interface was "just another outstanding discovery-learning experience" with "canning new, feature-rich interface, streamlined for user performance" they said that it takes the hassle out of viewing things on the screen by simply no longer displaying anything, now instead of viewing annoying webpages, you can imagine what pretty webpages look like instead... i mean the uses for this technology are endless, from solving the world hunger to saving endangered species, it's just that helpful to no longer need a monitor to interact with your computer, they say "imagination goes everywhere with you" and now so does the Vista desktop.

I couldnt configure it, so I shut it off. Vista is much less annoying now. Use google to find the exact instructions. If you know what you are doing you could also change the local security policies.

Sure. Most people don't know what they're doing though, and shutting it off is actually worse for them: one of the other problems with Windows is that it's so easy to screw up (even with the "self-repair" feature in Vista). Fiddling with Local Security Policies is just one example: I'v had users completely lock out access to their computers by doing so. I don't recommend turning off UAC unless you're a real expert, and I leave it on on most of the systems in our house....

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters, :)

Buffy

also what is your ram spec??? vista needs like 2 gigs to run efficiently .... another flaw in the softwar.. :) and also what i hate is it takes like over 30gb of your harddrive

how would it run "efficiently" if it's not efficient at using ram... you mean just to run

also they dont tell you this, but during vista installation a signifficant part of time goes to generating random data and cating it to files at random locations on your drive, until it uses up at least 30 gigs, and then writing registry entries that prevent you from just deleting those files...

dx10-compattible does not mean that it is built specifically to have hardware support for dx10... there are a few cards that are, the dual core gpu ATI (4800 and 3800 series X2) cards are built to have hardware support for DX 10.1, the 9800ds from nvidia are built with hardware support for dx10 (not 10.1), etc... problem is, even nvidia really does not release a hell of a lot of info specific to that...