Science Forums

Forever time dilation!?!

what would happen if we stayed in time dilation?

If your velocity is greater than 0 your are in time dilation. Not to worry though. At miniscule fractions of C the amount is negligible. Several Russian cosmonauts have spent a year or more in Earth orbit on the space station Mir. Their orbital velocity, about 7700 meters per second, which is only 0.0000257 times the speed of light, yielding a time dilation factor of 1.00000000033; for each second on board Mir, 1.00000000033 seconds pass on Earth. For every second you age on Earth, the cosmonaut in orbit ages 3 nanoseconds less. This doesn't seem like much, but it adds up, after a year the cosmonaut's watch will be 3.8 seconds behind your earthbound timepiece.

What's interesting about time dilation is that if you were traveling in a spaceship at say 90% the speed of light, not only would the people on Earth see your time to go slower than theirs, you would actually see their time to go slower than yours if you peered out of your window. It would seem like hours to your for someone on Earth to tie their laces. So it works both ways. This has nothing to do with any mechanical oddities; in fact both you and the Earthling is correct in the observations. HOwever, only if you land on Earth, would you, the traveler, be younger than the Earthlings since less time passed by for your relative to Earth. Time dilation goes combined with width contraction and mass increase as well. This means that Earthlings would not only measure your time to tick slower, they would think your spaceship got narrower, and increased in mass. Again, this works both ways.

Once again...anyone wanna explain?

Would take a rather long-winded explanation. It took me about twelve pages to explain this principle as well as I could in a paper I wrote on time travel. I suggest reading up on special relativity, but be sure to read the most technical documents you can find for the best understanding.

I uderstand realativity, but I would like a breife insight on "time Dialation"

Time dilation is what caused the twin paradox and is described similarly to the Lorentz transformation. Just as length is contracted, the passage of time is "slowed" by the same factor. So, whenever an object is in motion, it is subject to time dilation relative to slower moving objects.