Science Forums

MS Excel 2009 Discussion

I have had my first view of the new Microsoft Excel 2009 (MX09), and let me tell you, it scared me to death. I hope the learning curve isn't as bad as "they" are telling me. So, I am starting this thread so that folks who already have MX09 can tell the rest of us what to expect and how to deal with it. And for folks like me to ask questions, or dump our complaints, rants and insights.

The clock is ticking. MX09 is comin' to getcha! :shrug:

...one thing for sure... there aint no way i am training anyone on it :)
Lucky you!!

I don't have a choice. I'm the Excel hyper-guru at an engineering company. I teach Excel classes from elementary to wizard level, macros included. I'm gonna hafta teach MX09!! You know that Excel training manual I wrote and published here at Hypo? Guess what?!?!?!?! I'm gonna hafta rewrite that sumbitch!!!

Now I lay me down to sleep, and pray Bill Gates my soul to keep. :)

wanna switch jobs?

I manage a network of 200 some odd people at 8 physical locations... oh i am also now the only IT guy so aside from maintaining the network and servers, setting up and imaging machines, fixing hardware and troubleshooting every kind of issues that happen on the dark side of the moon (in places users have no clue about having any clues of what happens), and setting up new systems for new platforms/applications... i also get to fix all computer, windows, office, cad, printer, drive, user, permission, preference, email, file, crash, embedded system, pda, personal computer (outside the company's control), wifi, accounting software, driver, update, vpn, dns, website, av, etc (i will stop being boring here) issue that arises.

wanna switch jobs?... i also get to fix all computer, windows, office, cad, printer, drive, user, permission, preference, email, file, crash, embedded system, pda,... etc (i will stop being boring here) ...
Alexander,

from the sound of it, you got a real kushy job.

Hell, what do you do in all your spare time?

I'd swap with you in a minute, except it all sounds so "boring"?

Now ME, I've got a really hard job. In addition to computing the "risk" of critical failure for spaceship HW and SW systems, I have to use:

Windchill, the "bottomless pit" of document collaboration sites.

Vista, the endless labyrinth of annual performance review systems.

SAIC Corporate website, which has been known to make even senior managers cry and beg for mercy. Our previous CFO once set out to find the Quarterly Report within its unmappable interior, and was never seen again!

and worst of all (you may tremble in your boots)

I have to deal with the safety-bound JSC local network IT staff, who have been known to take three years to approve the installation of a new mouse driver because they're afraid it might lead to carpal tunnel syndrome.

So there!

:) :hihi:

Pray that you don't ever have to, Bill. You'll be forever lost! :)

Well, it's not that bad, but it is definitely an extremely unwanted learning curve, in true MS style.

I've been running Office 2007 for over a year now and I still stumble over things that would take me a couple clicks in MSO2003. I keep hoping that one day the compatibility between OpenOffice and MSOffice will actually work.

My philosophy: Stay with XP, Stay with 2003 MSO (as long as you can), hang on to your seat! :hihi:

Pyro, just so you know, i would LOVE to work with you (not swapping jobs, screw that).

P.S. i read NSA guides that your IT follows for their security setup and protocol, the government agencies follow the third stage of those setups, security that may compromise the use of some systems to increase security measures, and it really isn't up to them on software installation, as i recall at least with army and navy and probably the aeronautics agency, any request for drivers or software has to go through the NSA approval process and they are the ones who generally take a really long time on approving anything... (oh they probably have the current classified guides, i only read the unclassified versions that NSA releases)

Pyro, just so you know, i would LOVE to work with you (not swapping jobs, screw that)....
Alexander,

why blow me down and call me a taxi. That was the nicest compliment I've had all month.

As to the rest, you are of course, correct about the IT standards, protocols, procedures and bureau-crazy. It's a miracle sometimes that we get any work done at all. :)

P

most people in those organizations that i know say the same thing about getting anything done, but as a person who knows one or two things, maybe three, about security, there is a good reason they have those procedures and protocols...

next time you are in town, stop by for a cold one, a very deliciously delicious cold one, delicious and tantilizingly flaverful, high top, unique with underhints and hinted intricate fruit flavors, totally unusual, palette-happy, history-meets-modern-world :)

• 3 weeks later...