Science Forums

"Matrix' and the simulation arguement ??

RiverRat

In cosmology, especially when considering the multiverse scenario, there have been several arguments that our world might well be a simulation. There would be some tell-tale signs but we can't be sure if we would be able to spot them.

I don't think it changes the freewill thing much - it merely creates another possibility for the ID-ers. Like much else it would be difficult to prove.

Yeah, I fail to see what that changes. If it's a simulation, then fine- but we're still concious and in this universe, as a simulation. It's unlike the Matrix- there's not a real body of ours out there in reality somewhere, so for us, this really is reality, it is where we are present, physically or otherwise.

the only thing that gave the matrix it's "oohh" was the idea that the world is all make believe, and someone actually found out. if nobody ever found the bodies or jumped through telephones, they'd be labelled idiots and we'd all still be stuck on the girl in the red dress. i have yet to see anyone jump through a phone, so the priorities tend to remain unchanged as far as my particular / peculiar line of thought.

While we're on this topic, and I'm thinking about the "I know this steak isn't real" scene from the first movie, and the free will / self-control over the chemicals in your head thread... If we can eventually map the electrical impulses of the brain efficiently enough to effectively 'heal' or mitigate paralysis, would we be able to change the way taste is represented to the brain? Could I one day be as satisfied with a healthy salad as I am a ridiculously large bacon-cheeseburger?

While we're on this topic, and I'm thinking about the "I know this steak isn't real" scene from the first movie, and the free will / self-control over the chemicals in your head thread... If we can eventually map the electrical impulses of the brain efficiently enough to effectively 'heal' or mitigate paralysis, would we be able to change the way taste is represented to the brain? Could I one day be as satisfied with a healthy salad as I am a ridiculously large bacon-cheeseburger?

No, because the dieting intrests (Jenny, the Atkin's estate, etc) would kill you in your sleep before letting such technology be developed. :eek:

Seriously... I don't see why not. But messing with something we currently don't hardly understand at all is probably to far off to help my waistline (I'm bitter, I just went running and now feel like crap). haha

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, wouldn't that be nice!

http://www.www.secretbeyondmatter.com

All events and objects that we encounter in real life-buildings, people, cities, cars, places-in fact, everything we see, hold, touch, smell, taste and hear-come into existence as visions and feelings in our brains.

So does knowledge of the fact that we even have a brain. In fact, the very idea of "existence" has no meaning, since there is no real "lack of existence" to compare it to. When everything is reduced, we have absolutely no knowledge about anything at all, since no form of attaining knowledge is reliable. Therefore, all knowledge is based in belief. The only absurdities are formed when two beliefs are at odds with each other, which happens a lot.