Science Forums

Measuring out 10 quarts

DivineNathicana

Three jars contain 19, 13, and 7 quarts, respectively. The first is empty, the others full. How can one measure out 10 quarts, using no other vessels?

You cannot approximate, i.e. you cannot fill the 19 quart jar halfway judging by sight. The solution must be an easy and organized one. All work must be shown.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got an answer, but one has to hold his finger to the jar in order to keep track of where the waterline was before he poured more water in it... Blah blah blah, basically, it's shaky. So I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks guys!

- Alisa

Three jars contain 19, 13, and 7 quarts, respectively. The first is empty, the others full. How can one measure out 10 quarts, using no other vessels?

You cannot approximate, i.e. you cannot fill the 19 quart jar halfway judging by sight. The solution must be an easy and organized one. All work must be shown.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got an answer, but one has to hold his finger to the jar in order to keep track of where the waterline was before he poured more water in it... Blah blah blah, basically, it's shaky. So I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks guys!

- Alisa

Here is one solution. Poor back and forth as follows:

0	13	7
13	0	7
13	7	0
6	7	7
6	13	1
19	0	1
19	1	0
12	1	7
12	8	0
5	8	7
5	13	2
18	0	2
18	2	0
11	2	7
11	9	0
4	9	7
4	13	3
17	0	3
17	3	0
10	3	7

___If you like counting problems, I refer you to a real world counting problem I set forth in the thread "Mathemagical Box". I have presented there sufficient information for you to arrive at a solution. A solution I have not bothered to find (yet). I entertain your solutions dear Reader.:eek:

It can never be done. You cannot do it because by addition(or subtraction) of two odd number will always produce an even number. since 19 is odd, it is an impossible tast. .

Did you see the solution in post #7 above?

No, but i just did after you mention it to me. The solution from post 7 is wrong. First, there is not way to subtract the water. second, if you add the water, there is no way to separate them again. My answer is the right answer.

No, but i just did after you mention it to me. The solution from post 7 is wrong. First, there is not way to subtract the water. second, if you add the water, there is no way to separate them again. My answer is the right answer.

Please illustrate then. My solution clearly leads to a container with exactly 10 quarts. Point out the exact flaw in the sequence that led to it if you are going to claim it won't work.

Please illustrate then. My solution clearly leads to a container with exactly 10 quarts. Point out the exact flaw in the sequence that led to it if you are going to claim it won't work.

My english is not good. Perhaps you can eloberate your method, and i can point out your flaws.

Ok. i might have misunderstand the question. i assume you suppost to form a 19 quart from the 13 and 7 quart?

My english is not good. Perhaps you can eloberate your method, and i can point out your flaws.

What's to elaborate on? THe left column is the 19 quart container, the middle is the 13 and the right column is the 7. Start by pouring the 13 quart into the 19. Next pour the 7 into the 13. Next pout 7 of the 13 from the 19 quart container into the 7 quart container. Next fill the 13 from the 7 leaving 1 in the 7, etc. Each step shows only 1 pour.