Science Forums

Windows xp and ram??

add a /3GB or a /3GB /PAE to the end of your boot line:

start with /3GB, should improve performance a little too... if it still fails to detect all 4 gb, then add a /PAE switch... both cases you'd obviously need to reboot...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB

how did you machine "slow down"? oh wait i know, you didnt read the documentation before setting it?

the switch changes memory allocation, by default windows allocates 1/2 the memory to kernel, 1/2 to user processes, in your case 2gb to kernel, 2gb to the rest.

the /3gb switch allocates 3gb to user, and 1 gb to kernel

/3gb allows you to use /USERVA switch that allows you to allocate as much space to user apps, giving rest to kernel. there is no way it slows down your machine, the only time when it can, is if your kernel is over a Gig, and that means your machine is in need of serious work!

other then that, if /3gb does slow your machine down, set userva to 2560 like:

/3GB /USERVA=2560

leaves 1.5gb for kernel 2.5 for apps

also i would say add a /PAE switch if you are at 4gb or more, i would be careful if you were under 4gb...

I was going to guess that his motherboard has an on board graphics system that borrows memory directly from the ram which is 'on board'.

The actual value of memory that the on board graphics chips uses can depend on the settings in the bios set-up. When windows boots up it reports (in the 'My Computer" properties that you have less ram in use for the system than the total hardware installed.

You can run a program that is quite successful in detecting what kinds of hardware's you have like your actual total ram (maybe you got ripped off?). There is a free one that I like called: Lavalys Everest Home Edition

In your case it could be that the on board is using somewhere around 512mb or some number. Thus removing an average of around 600ish...4000-600 = 3.4 and actually is a close number.

Good Luck!

how did you machine "slow down"? oh wait i know, you didnt read the documentation before setting it?

the switch changes memory allocation, by default windows allocates 1/2 the memory to kernel, 1/2 to user processes, in your case 2gb to kernel, 2gb to the rest.

the /3gb switch allocates 3gb to user, and 1 gb to kernel

/3gb allows you to use /USERVA switch that allows you to allocate as much space to user apps, giving rest to kernel. there is no way it slows down your machine, the only time when it can, is if your kernel is over a Gig, and that means your machine is in need of serious work!

other then that, if /3gb does slow your machine down, set userva to 2560 like:

/3GB /USERVA=2560

leaves 1.5gb for kernel 2.5 for apps

also i would say add a /PAE switch if you are at 4gb or more, i would be careful if you were under 4gb...

Say WHAT :thumbs_up?

the computer has popcorn kernels?....cool...

does it have a vending machine also ? :D

• 1 month later...