Science Forums

Such a foolish thought

stanleyg

Being the cranky old fool that I am, I think legislators should legalize public or private health insurance providers to purchase kidney transplants from compatible donors. In my opinion it would reduce or control the sell of kidneys on the black market. The law would spare kidney patients from the lifetime agony of dialysis treatments.

I am attaching excerpts from two articles discussing the benefits of kidney transplants for dialysis patients VS the selling of human kidneys on the black market.

National Kidney Foundation

When an individual's kidneys fail, three treatment options are available: hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis and kidney transplantation. Many patients feel that a successful kidney transplant provides a better quality of life because it allows greater freedom and often is associated with increased energy levels and a less restricted diet. In making a decision about whether this is the best treatment for you, you may find it helpful to talk to people who already have had a kidney transplant. You also need to speak to your doctor, nurse and family members.

Christian Science Monitor

Unknown to him, under South Africa's 1983 Human Tissue Act, Arie and his donor have broken the law. But the organ brokers and doctors are the ones making the biggest profits - and are the real targets of the police. Buying and selling kidneys across three continents is, in some ways, the perfect 21st-century crime. That's what South African investigator Johan Wessels realizes as he gets further and further into his new case. For one thing, it occurs in several jurisdictions, all of which are thousands of miles apart. And it's hard to determine where exactly the crime - handing over the money - takes place. And if one country starts cracking down, the syndicate can hop to another.

Why would this be limited to a specific organ?

If Congress did decide to legalize the sale of human organs, wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that they would also create an agency large enough to mire the process beyond the ability to operate (yeah, it's income tax time again; I love the IRS)? Hmm... Legalized organ trade. That's not something you see every day on eBay. Generally the closest you can get to that is the sale of whole humans; but that usually involves a trip to the developing nations of the world or your local CPS (child protective services) office (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,44851,00.html).

Oh, here's one...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,30915,00.html

But that's a little different from just selling body parts, eh? I mean, they're selling whole babies!

As for the kidneys, I worry about the black market aspect. But it also concerns me that people could make a profit from organ donations. That just seems wrong to me somehow. If I die, I do NOT want my organs sold, ok? Just pass them out to whoever needs them the most, and all will be well with my soul... :(

If organs are made a commdity, only the rich will be able to afford the needed treatment. the current system now (while not perfect) tends to match those that need and can use the organs with the best results.

Having a organ transplant is not a sudden fix. There are tremendous amounts of time and procedure that must be in the follow-up. There are generally immuno-suppressive drugs for the rest of your life and regular frequent check-ups.

IMO selling organs to the highest bidder only causes problems and reduces the number of viable organs for those that truly need them.

IMO selling organs to the highest bidder only causes problems and reduces the number of viable organs for those that truly need them.

Living in this country, I agree with you. However, I don't think every country has the same system we do, in regards to organ 'donation'. i've seen some stuff on it in Europe, and it doesn't seem to be as big over there. And from the sound of the article quoted above, not nearly as big as the blackmarket in Africa. Can someone from Europe and/or Africe please ring in here, and let us know what you think of the current situation? sanctus, do you know?

this is actually very interesting, and should give us some good info.

nemo, i think you should follow up that CPS info in a new Philosophy thread...