Science Forums

Mozilla Firefox is really MAKING ME MAD!

Okay, sorry to rant, but has anyone ELSE experienced this issue?

Firefox Forgets ALL Settings!

Three times its forgotten ALL settings mysteriously!!

I use Firefox 3.0.3 and the very month or so mysteriously and for NO APPARENT reason at all the TOOLS->OPTIONS settings in Firefox browser will RESET itself to a blank default factory install state/condition....

This REALLY makes me mad to no end because I SPENT time to set everything exactly the way I want it! (for example I HATE autoupdate and all that )

This is worse since somehow it RESETS the settings of all of my plugins that I have. So my ADBLOCKER PLUS loses all its subscriptions and I have to go back and manually ad them in again, my custom advertisement blocking list is LOST, my NOSCRIPT goes haywire and forgets what all its supposed to block and blocks those that I had previously whitelisted before the RESET of Firefox, my BLOCKSITE loses the sites it was told to block and on and on...

Even last night everything was working great. I have ZERO problems with my PC (Windows XP SP2 autoupdates turned off as well, no virus, no thing...) I shutdown NORMALLY (didn't cut the power or whatever, etc...) This morning boots up and firefox takes longer than usual to load, then I find out it takes me to that Mozilla page (forgot the fact I set my homepage to about:blank, etc) and then I find out what really happened and my browser totally screwed up...

I'm beginning to think this is a conspiracy on the side of Mozilla to return its browser back to default condition as an underhanded way to forcible force us to UPDATE to its newer version! AFTER ALL it lets me TURN OFF automatic update but if the browser "ACCIDENTALLY" "FORGETS" its settings and go haywire like a broken terminator robot and reverts back to factory install conditions all it takes is a few moments of internet connection and whoops Firefox just updated itself again!!!!!! I hope Mozilla is not THIS cynical but after this happening a few times I am having SERIOUS doubts...

Has this happened to anyone else on here? Anyone know or confirm this is conspiracy to get us to force us to autoupdate even if we have it turned OFF and NEVER want to update??

same here, i use it on every platform it comes on, I have been with firefox since pre-beta, i have a 1.0 shirt and i even supported their NYT add, i have severely hacked firefox, its internal structure and interface, i have used alpha versions on windows, linux, os x, and i have never had that problem, I have tons of plugins, that have tons of settings, never, not on my machines, not on any machine i have installed firefox on, have i ever had issues like this... and i talk on behalf of hundreds of machines here...

Now, before you cry Firefox again. What OTHER software do you have? Specifically cleaners and security.

Also what OS are you on, version, updates...?

also, are you working on an AD domain, and have you been deleeting your user profile... or someone else.... or some software?

No this is a personal standalone computer its not even part of a workgroup, I have it hardwired to an actiontec router using sbc at&t as my DSL isp service. I have Window XP Pro SP2 with all updates turned off, not using system restore, etc..

So non of you people have the problem before?

Scratching my head about the ONLY thing I think could be going on is the fact I cannot run chkdsk. At bootime it will tell me "Access Denied - Cannot access volume for direct access" or something like that and then promptly tells me checkdisk failed to complete...

The MS knowledge base says this is a issue with having to update to Service Pack 3 from SP2 of WIndows XP Pro (yeah right, like I'm going to do/believe THAT, SP3 has absolutely nothing I need from the standpoint of the enduser...and definitely won't fix my chkdsk issue...)

I thought at first it might be related to Daemon tools that I had installed and I even downloaded an SPTD remover. and turned it off in the registry but to no avail.... I'm not sure what could be going on, till date I still cannot checkdisk with either the default Windows XP tool or 3rd party utilities they all say "cannot access volume for direct access"...

BUT I'm not sure how this is related to Firefox losing its settings, I did some Googleing and it appears this is QUITE an often thing that Happens to other users of the browser as well!

Go to this folder (make sure folder and search options are set to view hidden files and folders and show extensions for unknown file types):

C:Documents and Settings<user>Application DataMozillaFirefoxProfilesxxxxxxxx.default

where <user> is your window's user name and xxxxx will be some string of characters. If there is more than one xxxxx.default folder then check them all to see which has your data.

In that folder, yoru preferences are saved as Prefs.js. If you have additional files named Prefs-1.js, Prefs-2.js, etc. then let us know.

Make sure your prefs file is not read only. Make a backup of it (copy it to another folder). If this ever happens again then close all Mozilla programs all the way (make sure no processes are still running) and copy that file back to your profile folder.

You may have an antivirus or antiadware program that is preventing firefox from using that file correctly in which case it will make a new one (Prefts-1.js).

~modest

bochen, from your descriptions you have serious problems with you OS, which drive these very Firefox issues, and not the other way around... sorry to say that, but it sounds like you royally messed up your system... not you per say, but a program, or a virus, or one of your friends, someone messed up your machine good :)

I've had the FF problem myself. It seems to be pritty random in occurance, but is sporatice enough I ignore it.

Turn sytem restore back ON and you could allways rollback to the day it WAS working :piratesword: just limit the amout of disk space it's allowed and disable automatic snapshotting and you're gold with something that Unfux your problems.