Science Forums

Talk about God from a biology forum thread

goku

Parental indoctrination.

Experience.

Role models.

The observation of consequences.

The wisdom of the elders.

i guess that means it's okay for children in the middle east to carry guns and shoot people because that is what their parents taught them to do :)

who are you talking about?

jonestown? jonestown????

forgive me Lord for my failures........

if that is what you think of me as, truly i have failed greatly

Yeah, Jonestown, where the Rev. Jim Jones made all those people drink cyanide laced koolaid and killed them all for the glory of God! Following a religious leader or any leader for that matter with out question and with out knowing what is really going on can and often does lead to disaster.

Yeah, Jonestown, where the Rev. Jim Jones made all those people drink cyanide laced koolaid and killed them all for the glory of God! Following a religious leader or any leader for that matter with out question and with out knowing what is really going on can and often does lead to disaster.

yes i know about jim jones

your right about the following a leader but you don't even know my leader

who is your leader, scientist, following?

what is really going on?

has a scientist ever used his or her opinion when interpreting data?

anyway like you said, following blindly=dangerous

good advice ;)

yes i know about jim jones

your right about the following a leader but you don't even know my leader

My point would be do you ever question the person who tells you how to think? Or do you just assume what he says is true?

who is your leader, scientist, following?

I don't have a leader, I investigate what is said and decide for my self after weighing the facts. Do you weigh the facts or do you just accept what is told to you with out question?

what is really going on?

has a scientist ever used his or her opinion when interpreting data?

I am quite certain the occasional scientist has allowed his or her personal ideas to influence their interpretation of data. But in science other people also go over and look at the data and when such personal bias is found it's pointed out and corrected, who does that for your leaders? Is your faith self correcting in any way?

anyway like you said, following blindly=dangerous

good advice :)

At least we can agree on that.

i guess that means it's okay for children in the middle east to carry guns and shoot people because that is what their parents taught them to do :)
I gave you a well-deserved infraction for that.

I gave valid examples of sources of moral training.

It does NOT follow that everything learned from those sources IS moral training. Nor that all the training obtained from those sources must BE moral.

To accuse me as you did was to put words in my mouth that I did not say. That is an unwarranted attack, and rude as well.

I gave you a well-deserved infraction for that.

I gave valid examples of sources of moral training.

It does NOT follow that everything learned from those sources IS moral training. Nor that all the training obtained from those sources must BE moral.

To accuse me as you did was to put words in my mouth that I did not say. That is an unwarranted attack, and rude as well.

we really do live in different worlds, i never ment that as an attack to you in any way.

and your response leaves me, puzzled ;)

my point was, your moral training is merely your point of view

no one tells me what to think

Well bully for you goku, I am glad to hear you are a free thinker but what about the question I actually asked,

My point would be do you ever question the person who tells you how to think? Or do you just assume what he says is true?

Can answer this in the same manner as well? How about the rest of my questions from that post, they do go together. Answering one with out the others is disingenuous to say the least.

well, sense there is no one telling me what to think i don't have to worry if they are right or wrong.

that is kind of like a brain washing question: have you stopped beating your wife yet?

if you answer yes, then you were beating her

if you answer no, then you are still beating her

see what i mean

well, sense there is no one telling me what to think i don't have to worry if they are right or wrong.

that is kind of like a brain washing question: have you stopped beating your wife yet?

if you answer yes, then you were beating her

if you answer no, then you are still beating her

see what i mean

No goku my questions were not that kind of questions, they were genuine and asked in an attempt to find out where you get the ideas you have expressed in this forum. If you are uncomfortable answering them then don't but don't try to denigrate them because you don't like the answer you would have to give if you told the truth.

I don't have a leader, I investigate what is said and decide for my self after weighing the facts. Do you weigh the facts or do you just accept what is told to you with out question?

I am quite certain the occasional scientist has allowed his or her personal ideas to influence their interpretation of data. But in science other people also go over and look at the data and when such personal bias is found it's pointed out and corrected, who does that for your leaders? Is your faith self correcting in any way?

the ideas are in my head. i don't get science weekly or even watch the discovery chanel, well maybe dirty jobs and myth busters.

self correcting? well we try to do as Jesus taught, the best we can.

if somebody comes in the church talking crazy, we throw them out. i've seen it done before.

does that answer your question?

the ideas are in my head. i don't get science weekly or even watch the discovery chanel, well maybe dirty jobs and myth busters.

self correcting? well we try to do as Jesus taught, the best we can.

if somebody comes in the church talking crazy, we throw them out. i've seen it done before.

does that answer your question?

Goku, you did not answer the questions I asked, do I need to post them yet again? I would however like to know who decides if someone is talking crazy. You, the pastor, The deacons, who?

it's the deacons job to do the accual throwing part. if everyone is in one mind and one accord like the Bible teaches, then everyone will know if another is talking crazy.

or if someone says, the Bible says that it's okay to be queer, then we know there crazy and we throw them out or try to show them the error.

as far as the facts go, if they say it's in the Bible you look in the Bible.

self correcting? yea sure, someone says something no one else agrees with we get together go over what the Bible says about it, pray for guidence.

God will convict his children when they have done wrong, and they will know it.

it's the deacons job to do the accual throwing part. if everyone is in one mind and one accord like the Bible teaches, then everyone will know if another is talking crazy.

or if someone says, the Bible says that it's okay to be queer, then we know there crazy and we throw them out or try to show them the error.

as far as the facts go, if they say it's in the Bible you look in the Bible.

self correcting? yea sure, someone says something no one else agrees with we get together go over what the Bible says about it, pray for guidence.

God will convict his children when they have done wrong, and they will know it.

What if the bible says something that obviously isn't true? Of if one interpretation disagrees with another? Do you pick and choose what parts to believe or is all of it inviolate? Does the new testament take precedence over the old or are both equally valid? From the stand point of biology things like the flood and Noah's ark are obviously false, how is this explained?

Goku,

you are contradicting yourself here-first you deem them crazy and throw them out-then you say you have a get together ,to read, and seek guidance

Should you be passing such a judgement given your choice of religion?

I have found that many church goers are odd, I refrain from using the word queer-it has other demeaning connotations