Science Forums

You gotta have faith

paigetheoracle

According to US researchers (Sorry no details - news clipping), having faith in a higher power may help stave off depression. Those who attend religious services are 30% less likely to have had depression and those with a sense of purpose in their lives are 70% less likely to have had the condition.

Could part of the answer be community keeping your attention extroverted and the rest be, keeping your eye on the future, stops you sinking into introversion? (self-pity/ ruminating about the past, rather than living in the present and heading towards tomorrow?).

To me this explains the situation, not the following of any particular religion: Outward directed energy stops in directed thought.

According to US researchers (Sorry no details - news clipping), having faith in a higher power may help stave off depression. Those who attend religious services are 30% less likely to have had depression and those with a sense of purpose in their lives are 70% less likely to have had the condition.

Could part of the answer be community keeping your attention extroverted and the rest be, keeping your eye on the future, stops you sinking into introversion? (self-pity/ ruminating about the past, rather than living in the present and heading towards tomorrow?).

To me this explains the situation, not the following of any particular religion: Outward directed energy stops in directed thought.

I would say that's a fair assessment for people that lack certain tendencies like intellectual curiosity or well developed social skills. This should not be a substitute for developing critical thinking however.

I have seen people of faith become “Magical thinkers” believing they are more in touch with the divine than are their fellows, so they may develope a misguided divine right to control others.

This kind of egocentric view is a toxin to the individual mind, and society as a whole. Faith to me is a simple matter that good will triumph evil. Truth is eternal it just has to work itself out and patients comes to those that understand this.

...And yes church makes you feel better, I do attend church weekly for the reasons you describe.

I have a curious tendency about biblical matters so I also attend Sunday school with an open minded group that mostly appreciates my heretical critical thinking. My pastor is very educated and utilizes the bible in such a way that allows for critical thought and debate without the constraints of dogma.

...And yes church makes you feel better, I do attend church weekly for the reasons you describe.

I have a curious tendency about biblical matters so I also attend Sunday school with an open minded group that mostly appreciates my heretical critical thinking. My pastor is very educated and utilizes the bible in such a way that allows for critical thought and debate without the constraints of dogma.

You are fortunate to have such a congregation and open minded pastor. You wouldn't by any chance be Methodist would you?

My father ran his chuch in a similar fashion, and he was often known for challenging the conference hierarchy, pushing for more open and progressive interpretations and applications of scripture philosophy. He was much more interested in getting to the core of message to understand how it is applicable to our lives today than to pound some simplistic literal meaning.

For many people, faith is translated into hope, and hope gives people a reason to look forward and keep going.

You are fortunate to have such a congregation and open minded pastor. You wouldn't by any chance be Methodist would you?

My father ran his chuch in a similar fashion, and he was often known for challenging the conference hierarchy, pushing for more open and progressive interpretations and applications of scripture philosophy. He was much more interested in getting to the core of message to understand how it is applicable to our lives today than to pound some simplistic literal meaning.

For many people, faith is translated into hope, and hope gives people a reason to look forward and keep going.

Presbyterian, and yes I feel very fortunate being that I have been anti church most of my life . The Methodist church is down the street and also has a liberal leaning congregation. The pastor there is a good friend of our minister so our congregation attends special events at the Methodist church, and visa versa.

People here may find it interesting That the congregations of theses two churches are the core that make up the Obama campaign volunteers in our small Missouri town. Old church lady’s working to get out the Obama vote. I kid you not . :rose:

I have to wonder about the inhabitants of Eden, where I reside, concepts of faith. On every other block, there is located a church.Ninety percent of which are Baptist.For every Obama sign posted, there are atleast 20 McCain signs.I receive inflammatory email about Obama from my friends, who assume that I, am of like thinking.These types of derogatory remarks, would seem to be most unfitting, of a people who claim to be love and forgiveness oriented. What pray tell, is their faith grounded in?

If faith is the intangible substance of what we hope for, where in lies their hope? A place where only their kind can inhabit, full of anger and mistrust of others, where love and kindness are not present..

My son arrived home from school yesterday and asked me that if he was to vote for Obama, would he go to hell. After my jaw hit the floor, I assured him that no such fiery doom could possibly be in store for such a wonderful twelve year old. He proceeded to tell me, that a child at school had told him that, when asked who he would vote for. Now I ask you, what type of parent would tell a child such a horrible thing? That their eternity hung in the balance of a single vote. This is faith? This is love? Where does the phrase " No greater love has a man, than to lay down his life for his brother" play into this scenario?.

Now, I could possibly give that child's parent the benefit of doubt, in the child overhearing a conversation.But even then, should'nt they watch over their mouths? Any parent will tell you, they will repeat what they hear, it is a part of learning.

I honestly question the integrity found in mainstream religions today.They appear to have forgotten the fundamentals of love. Quite sad, really, when we realize that a large population of these like minded sheeple, will be voting.

If there is a higher power I have found that that power seems to at best ignore me and at worst any attention I get from that power is usually negative. This plays into my knowledge that any gains I make are mine as are any loses. If the good is from higher power then so must be the bad. I prefer to think of the good and the bad as being either my fault or dumb luck and as we know everything tends to go bad instead of good if left to it's self.