Science Forums

JQuery Javascript/Ajax Library

Microsoft announced this week that they're going to support the jQuery Javascript/Ajax library. This is interesting all by itself because its the first time that M$ has not only endorsed an Open Source project, but they've said they are not going to try to "improve" it but actually let it be truly Open Source, and they're going to contribute to it!

But really I'm just fishing for opinions about it, since I haven't really tried it but am considering using it.

Anyone out there have any experience with it? Benefits? Pitfalls?

It's better to be a pirate than to join the Navy, :)

Buffy

Actually, this is *not* inconsistent at all. You don't have to be Microsoft to realize that what Flash and Silverlight are mainly good for is *animation*.

The fact that Adobe has tried to turn it into a complete application infrastructure is a *mistake* as far as I and a lot of other folks are concerned.

Oh boy, I bet we bring in some Flash-fan-boys in quick with that one!!!!

MS/Ajax.Net has its weaknesses, but a lot of us who've used it have seen that the main problem is that its just too much work to get a really good client-side library going and get a base of 3rd party widgets to go along with it. By bringing in jQuery, they take care of that problem, while moving the server backend of Ajax.Net in to do the integration with data and server app code. Its that part that makes Ajax.Net really cool, and the combination of the two is a clear gauntlet thrown down in front of Ruby on Rails and GWT (which really doesn't have very good server-side integration, even if the ability to "do everything in Java" is there).

Silverlight is pretty cool too, but *not* for hard-core business app development, and neither is Flash.

Anyone who wants to debate that one, open a new thread though!

Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right, :)

Buffy

jQuery is really cool. I use some features (the lightbox) on my blog, but here at Hypography the YUI is integrated by default and some of the libraries tend to not like each other it seems.

I think it's great that Microsoft will support it. I wish they'd release a patch for IE6 to sort out some of the more serious problems. There is simply too much that won't work, and it's still the standard browser many places. I recently did some work for the National Postal Service here in Norway and they have almost 30,000 employees on IE6...

I wish they'd release a patch for IE6 to sort out some of the more serious problems

hehe, they did, called it IE7, though that has it's own slew of problems...

Actually, this is *not* inconsistent at all. You don't have to be Microsoft to realize that what Flash and Silverlight are mainly good for is *animation*.

you and i realize it, and most of the geeks do, but Microsoft was going to stop supporting JS in favor of Silverlight at some point. I think with Google's browser, it was an open war between the giants and the standards, and i don't think its over, though M$ is covering it's basis by picking up open source projects that are both highly in use and have very talented people behind it, that covers the other side of the argument. To me, it's a step up for M$ to be honest...

...but Microsoft was going to stop supporting JS in favor of Silverlight at some point....
Oh that was just one of their idiot Silverlight Marketing people running off at the mouth. Not Gonna Happen...

Folly in fools bears not so strong a note as foolery in the wise, when wit doth dote, :eek:

Buffy