Science Forums

Test 3

James Putnam

What is it you are trying to figure out?

Hi, I am trying to find the best way to retain quotes. The last message is automatically quoted. It appears that I have to cut past previous quotes into the newest message. Also, I noticed that Buffy was able to post a message that showed a previous quote inside a followup quote. I am trying to find out how that is done. In general I am trying to learn the alternative ways to post a message that includes previous quotes.

James

Have you seen the FAQ on BBC code? You can read the particulars of the

tag

here. You are right that it requires you to cut and paste the portions you want to quote. Once pasted you just put quote tags around the text. You can also add a username inside the opening quote tag to have the quote say 'Posted by Username'. Buffy nested the tags inside of each other like

HTH,

tag
tag
tag
tag in order to put one quote inside of another.

quoth alxian, once
quoth alxian, twice

like so?

Please though, try not to use nested quotes, it doesn't really help you make your point. Anybody who is interested will look back and read the previous posts, so as long as they can find where you are referencing, your post will be understood.

true enough, i found that this method of qoute and quip was popping up everywhere and startled me at first, i'll have to say though its the best method to summarize very long threads for new commers and i got used to it.

the 'nested' posts if i understand that as being one quote with many posts inside it is not useful unless maybe you reference each post say numerically and then make your replies in your post, but even then you have to go back and forth to find the quoted text. <annoying when the better alternative of quote and quip is easier to read, though harder to put together.

quoth alxian, once

quoth alxian, twice

1. alxian didn't need to say anything in the first place

2. which makes this redundant

this method would be best when quoting the same person multiple times i think, since you avoid the tag everytime, but if you are quoting multiple times from the same original post why not drop the whole thing in one quote? [cutting up and quoting multiple times from the same post] makes for a more concise read but takes much longer, where you said you are looking for efficiency.